User Suspension: SFMike

gwb123

Members of the USMF Community:

The administration has suspended the account of community member SFMike.

Due to a recent post, SFMike was advised while his contributions to the Forum were valued, we were asking to conduct his conversations on here in a civil manner and with mutual respect for his fellow members.

His response indicated that he had no such intention of doing so. Rather than complying, he chose to assail the character of our members as "dilettantes and basement commandos". Citing his own military service he continued "You want to opine and criticize and squabble like kids over the things of men, almost none of you ever daring to follow the path yourselves."

This is a slap in the face of our numerous members who have served honorably in our Armed Forces.

We've never taken a formal poll, but I suspect we have at least 30 to 40% of our members who have served or are currently serving in uniform, perhaps even more. It seems on certain boards that percentage is even higher, such as on US Naval topics and USAF insignia collecting.

We have members on here who have served in Korea, Vietnam, the Cold War, Panama/Grenada, Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as a host of peacetime assignments. We have members from all five uniformed services, as well as their family members. We even have members who have served in the military forces of other nations.

SFMike was quite proud of his service in Vietnam, as well he should be. But he suffered from a bit of myopia: many of his posts were to the effect of "I didn't see it while I was there, in my unit, at my location, therefore it never happened." More than once he would post "Never happened", only to be corrected by photographic evidence and the recollections of other veterans.

Maintaining a civil atmosphere on the Forum is a priority for the Moderators and Administrators. We are also not going to tolerate repeatedly combative posts as well as talking down to collectors who do not happen to share one's military experience. Experience and knowledge are not an excuse for elitism and snobbery.

For these reasons, and for flatly turning down the opportunity to change, SFMike will no longer be participating on this Forum.