• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 23,461 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

This was asked in another forum on a non standard canteen. So Need you're expertise on this, is it some kind of special canteen for a water cooled gun? 

A    wonderful   contribution by  all  who posted.      I have a question regarding the  first  photo.   The sailor at the far left  has what appears  to be a very large canteen.  Is it an issue item or a private purchase item.  Cannot recall  seeing anything similar to it

post-8903-1283288408.jpg

Photo in question yes? At any rate, I can't answer your question as I don't know :lol: But I'm pretty certain other members might know. However while we wait I'll take a stab at it, perhaps this large round canteen is a special one for Pharmacist mates, he being today what we call a Corpsman a Medic?

retread12345Posted Today, 11:41 AM

Thanks  for the  idea.  Maybe  special issue, just have  never seen one.

29navy Posted Today, 05:00 PM

Looks to me like a canteen of water for a water cooled machine gun - Vickers?

Edited by patches, 18 March 2016 - 06:55 PM.

#2 robinb

robinb

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 61
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:12 PM

The Vickers was adopted in the US in 1915, a year after that photo was taken. The only other water cooled gun in the US inventory in 1914 was the M1904 Maxim, and I don't think they saw service with the US Navy.

I'm going to say that it's just a civilian water canteen pressed into service for the Shore Party. Remember, don't drink the water in Mexico.

#3 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,461 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:24 PM

The Vickers was adopted in the US in 1915, a year after that photo was taken. The only other water cooled gun in the US inventory in 1914 was the M1904 Maxim, and I don't think they saw service with the US Navy.

I'm going to say that it's just a civilian water canteen pressed into service for the Shore Party. Remember, don't drink the water in Mexico.

Thanks rob, so to be clear, there was not special large issue canteen for the guns?

#4 robinb

robinb

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 61
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:03 PM

Nope.

#5 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,461 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:55 PM

Nope.

Thank You.

#6 Big Al

Big Al
  • Members
    • Member ID: 101,332
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:14 PM

I think the men in the picture are signalmen. By that logic, the "canteen" might contain kerosene or something similar for smudge pots.

#7 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,461 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:23 PM

I think the men in the picture are signalmen. By that logic, the "canteen" might contain kerosene or something similar for smudge pots.

Hmm, interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users