WWII 5th AAF FIGHTER ACE GROUP - 8 KILLS 39th Fighter Squadron

KASTAUFFER

I have spent the last 6 weeks working to keep this group together. The majority was bought on Ebay, but I was able to grab a few of the items privately.

This group is from an 8 Kill ACE who served with the 39th Fighter Squadron during WWII. Its the same squadron Richard Bong served in earlier.

This BIO is from the following website: http://www.cobraintheclouds.com/colonelleegrosshuesch.html

He was born on 6 May 1920, in Menno, South Dakota. A graduate of Yankton High School, Yankton, South Dakota, he attended the University of Maryland and Jackson State Teachers College. He is a graduate of the Air Command & Staff College and the Air War College.

He enlisted in the US Army on 9 January 1942 at Fort Des Moines, Iowa. Following graduation from Aviation Cadets on 28 July 1943, Craig Field, Selma, Alabama, he was commissioned a 2nd Lt. and reassigned to the 439th Fighter Squadron, Dale Mabry Field, Tallahassee, Florida, flying P-47s.

From November 1943 to July 1946, He was assigned to the 39th and 41st Fighter Squadrons, 35th Fighter Group, Southwest Pacific Theater of Operation. During this period, he served as an aircraft commander, operations officer, and finally commanding officer of the 39th, the 41st, and again the 39th Squadron in ranks of 1st Lt. and Captain. He completed 150 combat missions, 624 combat hours, and a total of 1,021 flying hours in P-47's and P-51's, while in theater. He is credited with eight aerial kills and the single handed destruction of a Japanese destroyer over Goto Retto near Kyushu, Japan, on 30 July 1945, for which he received the Silver Star.

In July 1944, Charles Lindberg spent two weeks with the 35th Group in New Guinea teaching cruise control to the P-47 pilots, as he had previously done for the P-38 pilots. In a matter of days he helped us extend our radius of our action from 350 miles to 500 miles. He continued to work on this procedure, finally extending the radius of action for his squadron to 800 miles. This proved to be a pivotal turning point in the war for the P-47s in the Southwest Pacific, allowing them to reach the more active areas of combat.

Following the formal ending of World War II he was assigned to Johnson Army Air Base, Japan, as a member of the initial US contingent occupying Japan.

Returning to the United States in August 1946, He was tendered a regular appointment in the US Army with the rank of Captain and reassigned to the 61st Fighter Squadron, 146th AAF Base, Selfridge Field, Michigan, flying P- 51's. In April 1947, he was transferred to the 335th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group, Andrews Field, Washington, DC, flying the P-80 and serving as Squadron Executive Officer.

From April 1949 to April 1951. He was assigned to the USAF Group, American Mission for Aid to Turkey, Ankara, Turkey, with duty as Detachment Commander at Bandimir and Balikecir. This tour was followed by an assignment to DCS/Operations, HQ USAF, Washington, DC, as a staff planning officer. In July 1954, he reported for duty as Commander, 452nd Day Fighter Squadron, Foster AFB, Texas.

Returning to the Pacific in June 1955, He served as Commander, 36th Fighter Bomber Squadron, Itazuke AB, Japan, until June 1958, flying the F-86F and F-100, being the first unit to be equipped with the F-100 in the theater. During this tour, he led a flight of F-100's to New Zealand to participate in "Operation Handclasp IV-11" with the Royal New Zealand Air Force.

In August 1959, upon graduation from Air Command & Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama, He was assigned as the Senior Air Force Representative to the US Army Chemical Corps School, Fort McClellan, Alabama. He returned to Maxwell AFB in July 1963 and graduated from the Air War College the following year. In July 1964, he was transferred to the Air Force Section, US Mission Vietnam, Saigon and Nha Trang, Republic of Vietnam, where he served as Commander, Special Air Operations Group.

During his first tour of duty at Hickam AFB, Hawaii, August 1965 to July 1968, He was assigned to HQ PACAF/DO as Chief, Conventional Operations Branch, and subsequently Deputy Director, Operations Plans, where he was responsible for Operation ROLLING THUNDER.

Returning to the Pentagon in July 1968, He was assigned to DCS/Plans and Operations as Chief, Fighter Requirements Division. In July 1970, he was reassigned to Hickam AFB as Director, Operations Plans, HQ PACAF/DO.

Following his retirement from the Air Force in May 1973, He was employed by the Weyerhaeuser Paper Company, Honolulu, Hawaii, as Sales Manager, retiring from there in July 1992.

His military decorations include: the Silver Star; the Legion of Merit (1 OLC); Distinguished Flying Cross (1 OLC); Air Medal (8 OLC); Air Force Commendation Medal (1 OLC). A command pilot with over 5,000 flying hours, he was qualified in the P-40, P-51, P-47, P-38, F-84, F-86, F-100, B-25, C-47, C-45, T- 33, and C-123 aircraft.

He passed away last year in 2015.

I feel fortunate to have prevented this important grouping from being split up to the high winds. It was split up into no less than 7 separate auctions and transactions.

016e329bdb7521dd14f73a6be79390193f324f1a36.jpg

240_Gross_Bust-3.jpgg2.JPG

His Silver Star is a BBB medal and is numbered. I have the untitled case it came in.

01ec0ffd91e8f114262fecb4d0ebdb92dd2fe47a85_00001.jpg

010b6f57e3f88482956816d2178daaab818101a1d1.jpg

010134ece3e1fac68b9dc61b2b1b9dd9aca872d67e.jpg

Interesting document explaining why it was not engraved. I have the cases for both LOMs

014298e08a9730ffb9854d1bfbbf310c8b511ca05d.jpg

He served in Turkey in 1949-51

This document awards him the Turkish Air Force Pilot Wings. I have never seen one of these before.

011dcaca8491a034b115e27b7814dfffa2e75c80b4.jpg

01126222f9b79777cd8ab456334113524d8a541f25.jpg

Taken after he scored 3 kills in 1 day.

500_Gross_ThreeDown-5.jpg

Little Girl was a Mustang he flew late in the war.

500_Gross_Mustang5.jpg

Photo taken of the Col late in life.

gross.JPG

Rest in Peace Cobra

01297f12b734e5acbefdd44814899a7827acf86d89.jpg

Raidercollector

Nice group. glad you were able to save the best part. Did you get his SS citation ? Any more photos. ?

Nick

Thanks Nick!

The photos came off of various sites. I have not gotten the citation yet, but I do know it was for the single handed destruction of a Japanese Destroyer on July 30, 1945.

Kurt

Raidercollector

How cool is that Kurt. Oh you have to get the Citation, I,m sure there are lots of photos floating out their of him.

Nick

doinworkinvans

So that was you!! Well glad you were able to keep it together. Fantastic work. Guess I gotta bid higher next time

Kurt,

Another great group in your collection! I'm glad to see you were able to reunite many of the "parts" as it is a real shame when groups like this get scattered to the wind! Thanks for posting!

Mike

Great historical group, I love to see medal groups stay together it's a shame that some people just don't understand. Thanks for posting

James

Great grouping Kurt and saved once again by a conscientious collector! I hope the SSM citation finds its way to you.

So that was you!! Well glad you were able to keep it together. Fantastic work. Guess I gotta bid higher next time

The final lot that closed just this last Sunday was the one that surprised me! It jumped from 160 to 500 at the last second! The # 3 bid was $160. ?

Kurt