Franklin White 1C Chauffeur 53rd Signal Siberian Grouping

Navybean

I just picked this grouping up off of ebay, seller had some bad pics but I figured I would take a chance on the group. I did not get it cheap but I feel it is a excellent complete grouping. The group is from the estate of Franklin E. White 522181, first class chauffeur of the 31st Infantry Co. B 53rd Telegraph Signal Corps Battalion. Franklin was originally in a engineer corps in Manila but was then transferred to the 53rd Signal while it was serving in the Philippians in May 1918. White along with the 53rd where transferred to the Siberia where he served at least 2 years. White was a motorcycle operator (group included paperwork issuing him his motorcycle while in the Philippians)

White was issued a Excelsier motorcycle no. 7QMC Motor Number 78849 while with the 31st which he took to Siberia. White was in area of Vladivostok Russia.

The group included 2 of Whites Uniforms, 1st a summer wt tunic with S/AEF patch, discharge stripe, 2 overseas strips and a 1 class chauffeur patch / signal corps. Also included winter wt tunic with same S/AEF patch, discharge, overseas and chauffeur patch. Also in the group is a early 1909 dated US Army overcoat with detachable hood also including S/AEF and other patches.

Group also include bunch of personal items, mint 1917 helmet, bandage, hat cords, buffalo gloves and a set of cavalry gloves.

Group came with bunch of pictures and post card type pictures. Pictures where of vet, also of US, British, Russian and Japanese troops landing in Vladivostok Russia.

The paperwork of the group included motorcycle recite, a recite for purchase of his QMC footlocker, two orders certifying While too wear up to 2 years of overseas stripes, his transfer orders from the 3rd Eng. to the 53rd Signal Corps.

I have taken a few pictures of the group and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the past few days.

Thanks Mike

post-45737-0-03468000-1458262446.jpg

post-45737-0-85464600-1458262451.jpg

more pictures of the group, also included in the group was a set of hand cuffs and a Imperial Russian Belt Buckle.

Love this group

post-45737-0-43335400-1458262558.jpg

post-45737-0-63430900-1458262559.jpg

more pictures, there are 4 dog tags of the vets and a picture of the vet with his cycle and a couple of match safes from Siberia

post-45737-0-79167000-1458262592.jpg

post-45737-0-93531200-1458262593.jpg

post-45737-0-28433700-1458262624.jpg

the summer wt tunic had the 1 class chauffeur patch with the signal Corp rate which is different from the overcoat and winter wt tunie

post-45737-0-94313600-1458263227.jpg

post-45737-0-66266700-1458263234.jpg

group included 2 sets of gloves, neat set of buffalo 5 finger gloves (not mittens possible because of being a motorcycle driver?) and a set of cavalry gloves again 5 finger.

post-45737-0-51703500-1458263331.jpg

post-45737-0-72255700-1458263336.jpg

all of the patches on the uniforms are the S/AEF (Siberian American Exp. Forces) but there is a nice Siberian Bear type in the group as well. below pictures is of the backs

second pictures is of the 2 match safes

post-45737-0-76515600-1458263499.jpg

post-45737-0-06875200-1458263540.jpg

That is it, hope you enjoy. I really like the Siberian grouping, these troops where sent to Russia with no clear goal, basically abandoned for 2 years and forced to fight a non defined enemy.

Kurt Barickman

Wow, that is a very rare groping! Congrats on your purchase and thanks for sharing!

Kurt

I'm speechless - this is a fantastic pickup - the patches overcoat and the gloves are something I haven't seen for sale in a loooonnngggg time. Very, very nice. Thank you for posting.

Best,

Bill K.

Thanks for the comments, yes rare group with lots of history, vets history defiantly follows the history of the 53rd with service in Manila and Siberia.

Group includes material from Hawaii ( most have stopped there on way to Manila) and some from China.

Only strange thing with group is there weren't any hats, just the helmet and couple hat cords

The chauffeur rating through me at first but a chauffeur in WW1 US Army is basically just a individual who could drive a vehicle or ride a motorcycle. The rate did not nessasarly drive officers around.

White was a motorcycle dispatch rider. Must have been very cold in Siberia

This is one of the coolest Siberian trunk groups I have ever seen!! I especially collect trunk groups, in spite of all the room they take up ! They're like this one perfectly illustrates- a time capsule of the veterans experiences. I have never seen the receipt for the trunk purchase, and I have still 20-30 trunk and suitcase groups. It's also gratifying to share your victory in getting all this man's memories, still all collected together and not broken up to make more money or to recover money by selling off the pieces, or even to break it into maybe two or even three really great Siberian groups. You must be the only collector ever to own this group; it looks like it came right out of the woodwork to the seller on E bay to you!! I hope you get to spread out the pieces to make a beautiful and historically significant display!

Thanks for sharing this with us - it has already made my day!!

David

Remarkable history! I'm glad you will preserve this not well known or understood US Army operation. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Collector .45

Wow, that is an amazing grouping. They don't come much more complete than that! Thanks for sharing.

- Henry