Posthumous WWII USN Legion of Merit Group to Aviation World Record Holder

KASTAUFFER

aerialbridge

A treat to see. I wonder if that 1934 flight was prompted by Mussolini's Air Marshall, Italo Balbo's, transatlantic flight of 24 flying boats from Rome to Chicago (but with half a dozen stops) the previous year.

Balbo with Bull Reeves, the father of naval carrier aviation.

post-18406-0-53165600-1458005775.jpg

A treat to see. I wonder if that 1934 flight was prompted by Mussolini's Air Marshall, Italo Balbo's, transatlantic flight of 24 flying boats from Rome to Chicago (but with half a dozen stops) the previous year.

Balbo with Bull Reeves, the father of naval carrier aviation.

I believe it was. Take a look at the label from the back of the photo in Picture # 12 of this thread. It does mention Balbo Thanks for pointing that out!

Kurt

• 2 months later...
KASTAUFFER

Here is one of the covers he carried on the flight. I sadly do not possess this one.

aver.JPG

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Beautiful and historic group. How many jewels is the Hamilton? Is it a lever-set (railroad grade movement?)

Thanks! Its a man's 12s movement and is pendant level set. Without opening it, I think it was 19J. I don't think he ever carried it around.

Kurt

Thanks! Its a man's 12s movement and is pendant level set. Without opening it, I think it was 19J. I don't think he ever carried it around.

Kurt

Hamilton made phenomenal timepieces, but I wondered if in a special presentation watch like this, that there might be a really high grade movement underneath. 19J is nothing to sneeze at. Again, just beautiful.

Hamilton made phenomenal timepieces, but I wondered if in a special presentation watch like this, that there might be a really high grade movement underneath. 19J is nothing to sneeze at. Again, just beautiful.

I love Hamilton's too. My Grandparents are from PA. I have my Grandfathers model 992 . Averill's watch is a 17J model 912.

IMG_1463.PNG

• 4 months later...

After 2 years of searching on Ebay, I was finally able to find a cover he carried on the flight !

averill.JPG

• 9 months later...

and I found an even better cover signed by the entire crew! In my collection I also have his Co Pilot ( Todt's) flight logbooks.

averill.JPG

• 3 years later...

I'm late to the party i'm afraid, but what a very nice and historic group Kurt.

There were no Distinguished Flying Crosses awarded to these aviators?

Regards

Herman 

Thanks Herman. The pilots were not given DFCs. The CO might have. I need to check. 

Thanks to B17-Guy ( John ) on this forum I am also adding this piece back into the group:

image.png.a9f724a46b5c59284678480a8b927810.png

• 2 weeks later...