Making a Gen Schwarzkopf DBDU

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

I'm thinking about putting together a General Schwarzkopf chocolate chip uniform get some custom desert tapes made on ebay and buy all pin on insignia to minimize the sewing. I have a mint medium regular dbdu on hand but I'm sure he was probably a large or extra large. Money is limited currently so it's more logical to use the uniform I have. I might pick up this extra large long dbdu anyway because it's a rare size.

One more thing we're his tape black on tan or brown on tan?

He wore both pin-on and sewn rank. Perhaps he had a "field" uniform and a "garrison" uniform. There was a previous discussion about his tapes and badges being sewn at an off-post shop near Mac-Dill AFB. In some pics it clearly looks like his CIB and wings are sewn on the same heavy material as name tapes.

post-122639-0-85282400-1457833992.jpg

Interestingly, the uniform at the Smithsonian has sewn badges and sewn rank - but no period photos I've seen show him wearing sewn rank.

He tended to wear early issue jackets with the chest pockets bellowing at the stomach rather than the armpit and he also had a lot modified with Velcro closing pockets.

It all depends on what color your high heels are.

Smart alec.

I would go with the larger size, his name tapes and badges on a shorter/smaller top just wouldn't look right.

The correct sized subdued stars are available here for a decent price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262297308094?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

After looking through a few more photos, it looks like he wore spice-on-tan tapes with sewn-on insignia, and black-on-tan when wearing pin-on badges.

SergeantMajorGray

Thanks I think I'm going to go with black on tan tapes and pin on rank and badges. I need to find tapes with the right thickness.

SergeantMajorGray

If they were available to buy like US insignia I would but Im not going to put that much effort into making one.

And at least once he was photographed without his badges.

It would help to post the photo...

This is the same DBDU in these two post- check out the camo pattern on the upper left pocket.

I'm not too sure why you'd want a 'put together' piece, but each to their own.

This is the same DBDU in these two post- check out the camo pattern on the upper left pocket.

I'm not too sure why you'd want a 'put together' piece, but each to their own.

I think you're right, but they re-applied the insignia. Incorrectly.

Mostly as a tribute to a great American general I would think, and it's highly unlikely anyone here will ever own one of his originals.

SergeantMajorGray

6 color is my favorite desert camouflauge and Schwarzkopf's jacket is pretty iconic IMO. Not only is it unlikely that one of his uniforms will come up for sale it's even more unlikely I could afford it.

Nice uniform! The black sewn stars contrast with the spice-on-tan tapes and badges though in my opinion. It seems that during ODS he wore the pin-on stars, but uniforms that surfaced afterward have sewn-on stars. Wonder if he had them sewn on after hostilities ceased? I remember chatter about him getting a 5th star for being the coalition leader in an invasion (like Ike was), but obviously that never happened.

• 2 weeks later...

There's aren't many good quality 6-color desert patrol caps available, and after buying 3 online, only the one made in China is constructed of the correct material (not rip-stop). Anyway, here's what I came up with.

post-32676-0-72815000-1458849691.jpg

For comparison:

post-32676-0-47921200-1458849830.jpg