5th Marine Division, Iwo Citation

Brian Keith

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Hey Guys, I really appreciate all the very kind assistance I've received here !! This particular item is somewhat out of my unusual realm, as I promised myself to call only Rhode Island related items, nothing else. { BUT, if we can't lie to ourselves, who can we lie to, right ? } However, this time I could justify my purchase, as this particular Marine was from 'Little Rhody'. I still haven't figured out how to upload a photo here, so I will at least post some brief data about the Letter, & it's recipient. The recipient was Sgt. Roy B. [ Bert ] HENDERSON, of an Armored Amphibian Battalion. The Letter starts off as follows; "The Commanding General, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific, takes pleasure in COMMENDING SERGEANT ROY B. HENDERSON, UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS, for service set forth in the following CITATION

"For meritorious and efficient performance of duty while serving in a Marine armored amphibian battalion during operations against the enemy on,

It then continues to list the specific operations, including the inclusive dates of, along with names of each. It also states 'his coolness under heavy enemy fire', devotion to duty, etc. Also, just below Roy Geiger's name & signature, it notes that, 'Commendation Ribbon Authorized'.

All in all, it appeared to me a bit too nice to pass up, especially that it was awarded to a Rhode Island Marine. And, I almost forgot to mention that it came with 3 of his basic, WW2 Campaign Medals, consisting of; Commendation Ribbon, SWPA / PTO Cpgn w/ 4 Stars, & American Cpgn. Included with the 3 Pc R/B, were early strikes of an Am. Cpgn, SWPA / PTO Cpgn, & WW2 Victory Medal. But, as we all realize, the true interest / value is in the Commendation Letter. I'm working on getting it posted here, but for now, at least here's some background to 'hopefully' hold everyone's interest. I

THANKS AGAIN Guys !!

Best, Dom P. / dpast32