Combat Infantryman Badge in Action; Photos of CIBs being worn

rd12

seanmc1114

Nice bullion CIB on an Ike jacket.

BTW, I found this picture on togetherweserved.com. When I read the guy's bio, I realized I knew him. He lived not far from me when and was one of my grandfather's best friends. I went to his house many times as a child and later had dealings with his wife who was German. I never knew he served in the Army but I would guess that's where he met his wife. Small world.

post-1761-0-36472500-1495820172_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This was posted in another thread but it belongs here as well. PVT Henry Urban wearing a CIB, Air Corps brass and 15th AAF SSI.

post-122639-0-38504800-1497375745_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

post-34986-0-56565700-1498098654_thumb.jpg

2nd Award Combat Infantryman's Badge.Staff Sergeant Kenneth Wallace (Wally) Rogers, served a long time March 1951 to July 1990, nearly 40 years, retired as a Commander Sgt. Major, it's possible he was then in one of the reserve components at the time he left?

Photo I gather taken in the late summer of 1966, I think he might of been in the 1st Division 65-66???. Not much info other than what I posted, and he must of been wounded those two times in Vietnam, as he's not listed in the Korean War Casualty Lists, of note, he's not wearing any loops on his good conduct medal.

great picture Kev.any info on sgt Rogers Silver Star ?

Nope, but as you know the lists Home of the Heroes in inconclusive. Checked the 1st Cav Roster for 65-66 and the 4th Inf Div ditto, not listed, that's what makes me think he may have been in the 1st Division, but their 65-66 yearbook does not list awards unfortunately. He could been in the 25th Division, I'll have to check, the yearbook I got has full rosters.

EDIT Nope not listed in rosters in 25th Division. Given that his rank is E-6 in this photo (14 years of service so far from 1951), lead me to believe it's a 1966 photo. Maybe we'll find more on him later.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this guy is wearing one of those badges intended to be worn on the lapel of a civilian suit. It looks smaller even than the standard miniature badge that was more common in the 50s and 60s.

post-1761-0-33875600-1500296033_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-82990600-1500296045.jpg

You are right though, the wear of miniature CIBs on class B's and A's is rarely seen after the 1960's. I've never seen somebody wear a miniature badge on the Army Blues.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A in CIB in Combat, a Cpt Warner of the 22nd Infantry, 4th Infantry Division, I think in the Ardennes right before the German Offensive early December 44 when the IVY Div was sent to rest and rebuild there.

post-34986-0-81998100-1503541642.jpg

General Of The Army Omar Bradley wearing a CIB on his khakis along with his five-star rank. Note the stars of the rank insignia are worn on his collars while the U.S. seal portion of the rank are worn on his eppaulettes like DUIs.

post-1761-0-12871400-1503579991_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A CIB wearing AF guy sometime in the late 60s early to mid 70s. Here this senior NCO from what we see had to have earned it in WWII, and out in the Pacific, as he wears no ribbons for Korea or Vietnam, only WWII with an A&P ribbon with what appears to be either three campaign stars or two stars and an invasion arrow.

post-34986-0-89491000-1504585990.jpg

A CIB wearing AF guy sometime in the late 60s early to mid 70s. Here this senior NCO from what we see had to have earned it in WWII, and out in the Pacific, as he wears no ribbons for Korea or Vietnam, only WWII with an A&P ribbon with what appears to be either three campaign stars or two stars and an invasion arrow.

post-34986-0-89491000-1504585990.jpg

Very cool pic. We had a guy, resident, at the VA.He was AF retired, WW2-VN. He had chest full of ribbons and a CIB. He wasn't really 'with it' so never got a chance to talk.

This is Livingston Williams, Jr. Earned CIB in WW2 then transferred to Air Corps and finished service in Air Force. (see post #28)

This is Livingston Williams, Jr. Earned CIB in WW2 then transferred to Air Corps and finished service in Air Force. (see post #28)

Whoops, not in the habit of the double post, my apologies, it's something I endeavor to avoid.

• 4 weeks later...

img_5351.jpg?w=900

John F. Gay

D.O.B: 19 March 1921
D.O.D.: 6 Sept. 1985
Hometown: St. Louis, MO
Entered Service: April 27, 1940
Discharged: 30 June 1971
Unit: 3rd Army 26th Infantry Division, World War II; 1st Cavalry Korea; 3rd Brigade, 25th Division and 3rd Brigade , 4th Infantry Division Vietnam.
Commendations: BSM,AOM, (Germany & Japa), ACM, WWII Victory Medal, EAME, CIB 2D AMD, EIB, UNSM NDSM w/1st OLC, GCM 7th AWD, SM, CRWMP, ARCOM W/4TH OLC, MUE, VSM, VCM, ACB, AM 1ST – 11TH OLC, 6 O/S SVC BARS, AEM, LEGION OF MERIT, GALLANTRY CROSS W/SILVER STAR, GALLANTRY CROSS W/BRONZE STAR, GALLANTRY CROSS W/PALM

On Gay's Korean Service, I would think he was not in Korea as he does not have Three Awards of CIB, that he was assigned to the 1st Cav Div when it was in garrison in Japan after 1952 and before 1954. If so, then why the Korean medals? This kinda reinforces my belief that Japan based personnel did receive these medals, as they were in the theater of war in direct support of the war.

Major General Oliver W. Dillard

First African American to graduate the National War College (1965), fifth African American to achieve Flag rank in US Army. Enlisted in June 1945, attended OCS July 1947.

CIB with Star for Korea & Vietnam service.

post-122639-0-40594900-1506984068.jpg

img_5351.jpg?w=900

John F. Gay

D.O.B: 19 March 1921

D.O.D.: 6 Sept. 1985

Hometown: St. Louis, MO

Entered Service: April 27, 1940

Discharged: 30 June 1971

Unit: 3rd Army 26th Infantry Division, World War II; 1st Cavalry Korea; 3rd Brigade, 25th Division and 3rd Brigade , 4th Infantry Division Vietnam.

Commendations: BSM,AOM, (Germany & Japa), ACM, WWII Victory Medal, EAME, CIB 2D AMD, EIB, UNSM NDSM w/1st OLC, GCM 7th AWD, SM, CRWMP, ARCOM W/4TH OLC, MUE, VSM, VCM, ACB, AM 1ST 11TH OLC, 6 O/S SVC BARS, AEM, LEGION OF MERIT, GALLANTRY CROSS W/SILVER STAR, GALLANTRY CROSS W/BRONZE STAR, GALLANTRY CROSS W/PALM

On Gay's Korean Service, I would think he was not in Korea as he does not have Three Awards of CIB, that he was assigned to the 1st Cav Div when it was in garrison in Japan after 1952 and before 1954. If so, then why the Korean medals? This kinda reinforces my belief that Japan based personnel did receive these medals, as they were in the theater of war in direct support of the war.

He is wearing the ribbons of the Korean Service Medal and the United Nations Korean Service Medal, so that denotes he actually served in Korea and not just Japan. Just because he served with the 1st Cavalry Division does not mean he served with an infantry unit. He could have had any number of other assignments. For instance, if he was assigned to the division headquarters, he would not have been eligible for a CIB.

He is wearing the ribbons of the Korean Service Medal and the United Nations Korean Service Medal, so that denotes he actually served in Korea and not just Japan. Just because he served with the 1st Cavalry Division does not mean he served with an infantry unit. He could have had any number of other assignments. For instance, if he was assigned to the division headquarters, he would not have been eligible for a CIB.

True.

• 1 month later...

Lt. Col. Francois Bordet (Sp?), commander of the French Battalion which was attached to the U.S. 23rd Infantry Regiment during the Korean War, wearing a CIB and U.S. Presidential Unit Citation with three oak leaf clusters. The CIB almost looks solid silver with no blue background but it may just be the lighting.

post-1761-0-83897800-1512076692_thumb.jpg