Veteran's interview, question regarding Separation info discrepancy

jmd62

Hey Guys,

I have a strange question. I watched a Veterans Project interview of an 89 year old man who spoke of serving in Africa, Italy, Normandy, the Battle of the Bulge and Germany. I was able to view his Separation Document (posted on a forum by his daughter) but it only showed one campaign star and an ASR of 55. It showed him in the ETO for just over 6 months. It doesn't make sense. Someone suggested the possibility of a previous Separation Document showing the earlier action in another division. Is that possible? I've never heard of that.

Thanks,

James

• 2 weeks later...

There are veterans who will blow smoke up your butt for as many reasons as you can think up.

Some of them are now senile and don't know what they are saying.

It is your choice as to believe as much of it as you like.

Does his 214 or whatever they called it then give inclusive dates of service with ovewrseas time, etc?

Do the math.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you based on his DD214 and lack of anything that would back his accounts. He must have had great fishing stories too ?

I have all the respect in the world for the old timers.

I didn't want to be disrespectful in case he has memory related issues.

I began harassing local veterans in my teens in the early 60s looking for souvenirs and stories.

Then, after my own experiences, I just enjoy the stories for what they are and leave it at that.

After a while you will hear variations of the same story, even conflict to conflict. That makes you think.

There are guys who are outright frauds and liars-free country.

Couple groups I belong to like to bust hose guys, but it all getsold after a while.

Sad is a guy who has told his family really outrageous tales and they put them in his obituary.

I don't believe in bothering them over it, but some jerks will.