SOS Blue Back Winged Pilot Uniform; Research Help!

Kadet

I found this fine jacket languishing on a rack at the SOS. I got it for a very nice price, and have been trying to research the name...Bruce Thomas.

I believe this man was named Bruce P. Thomas b. 1920 d.1965. He was from the Cleveland OH area.

The blue wings and patch indicate that he probably served in the 8th AF early on, then returned to the US as a trainer.

I can find almost nothing on this person though. His 1965 death date makes it hard. Does anyone have any thoughts? Would really like to nail down a unit for him....

post-110-0-82043000-1456347648.jpg

Two observations.

1. Why no overseas stripes?

2. 43-A appears to be a graduating class. I'm assuming there wasn't just one 43-A, bit rather one per flight school. Perhaps he could be tracked via yearbooks?

I've noticed that sometimes officers didnt wear overseas stripes for whatever reason. Good point on the class # but tough to say which flight school he went to

Also, why no other AF patch on the jacket? If he had served in the 8th AF prior to coming back and joining the 3rd AF as an instructor, I would think he would have displayed that as proudly as a blue-backed pilot wing indicating his service in combat.

It is also correct in that there were a number of schools that had a class 43-A. Finding his class book would not tell you anything more about and combat service he might have had.

An obituary might have more info on where he served if you can track one down.

How is the wing attached to the jacket? If sewn, they did a poor job of it as it is not centered or level. Also, is there any indication of any ribbons ever having been on the jacket?

The wing is neatly sewn and has been there forever. It is original and original to the jacket IMO. The way the jacket is tailored, the pockets slant slightly and the wings are actually parallel with the ground (if that makes sense). If it were on a torso form you would see what I mean. It is offset slightly to clear the lapel...

AAF_Collection

I wouldn't be too quick to assume the wings indicate service with the 8th, much less so that it was early. While it's true the wear of the blue wing backing was perhaps more widespread in the 8th than other ETO based commands it certainly wasn't limited to the 8th alone so your guy could have been with the 9th, 12th or 15th Air Forces as well.

The fact he managed to continue wearing his blue backed wings once he returned stateside, something which was against published uniform regulations, would suggest he returned from overseas late in the war.

The lack of an overseas bar (or bars) could simply be because he didn't bother getting it sewn on, or that he spent less than six months overseas in which case he wouldn't be entitles to any O/S bars.

It is a nice looking coat, I have one by the same tailor which belonged to a pilot in the 8th, it too has a similar bullion blue backed wing.

Matt.

Thanks, true statements. I've had a number of officer uniforms that didn't have overseas bars applied, even when they were rated. I actually found the enlistment info for the man that I think is a match. Men that went on to aviation training and eventually became officers often have initial enlistments noted in NARA.

Thanks, true statements. I've had a number of officer uniforms that didn't have overseas bars applied, even when they were rated. I actually found the enlistment info for the man that I think is a match. Men that went on to aviation training and eventually became officers often have initial enlistments noted in NARA.

I have well over 100 officer uniforms in my collection and of these, a vast majority do not have the overseas bars. Why is only a matter of conjecture. As for me, I never had overseas bars added to my dress blues as I never bothered with them. Jack.

You should be able to find his obituary in one of the Cleveland newspapers. Google "Cleveland necrology" ( death notices) to find the date. Most area public libraries have the Plain Dealer and Press on microfilm. The obit might tell you more of what you want to know.

Good luck. Do report back here with what you find.

G

Kadet, here's a little information that appears to be your guy. He was born in Wisconsin, but by 1940 he was living in Cuyahoga County, OH (Cleveland area). He enlisted with the US Army Air Corps on March 31, 1942 - place of enlistment was Cleveland. At the time of enlistment he was single, was 5' 7" tall, and weighed 134 lbs. He had 4 years of high school education and worked as a statistics or accounting clerk in civilian life before his enlistment.

Geoff

• 7 months later...

As requested, here is an update. His actual enlisted and officer service records were destroyed, but enough of his pay records and orders remain to help significantly in the process of reuniting the service history with this uniform. He entered service on 30 March 1942 as an aviation cadet. He graduated from aviation training at Luke Field, AZ in Class 43-A and was commissioned as an officer and rated pilot on 3 January 1943. He may have also done part of his training in Santa Ana, CA. Both Phoenix and Santa Ana could explain the LA tailor label. His final assignment prior to being discharged was Alexandria AAF, Louisiana, 3rd Air Force. Alexandria AAF trained replacement B-17 crews during the war. Interesting to note that he was discharged on 12 August 1945 with an ASR of 117. This relatively early separation date and high points indicate to me that he probably had some combat time overseas. I have a feeling he did his missions as a B-17 pilot (PROBABLY 8th AF), and was then sent home to train air crews for the duration. His earlier separation date may also explain the lack of a "combat patch" as this tended to be a an early post war practice. The next step is to search for any award cards, as these should identify a unit. So far, the jacket checks out perfectly. Hopefully I can find more info. He died in 1965, which means he has almost no presence online...which makes it tough.

• 2 weeks later...

Success! I was able to confirm via his award card for the AM that he served overseas in combat. I believe the 5th Wing in 1943 would place him in the 12th or 15th AF, although I don't have a specific unit yet

post-110-0-00136100-1477042732_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated at this point. It would be great to find him on a roster or in a crew photo. I'm fairly certain based on his assignment in the 3rd AF that he was a B-17 pilot.

Solved: He flew over 50 combat missions as a B-17 pilot and co-pilot with the 348th Bomb Squadron, 99th Bomb Group. The 99th was assigned to the 12th and 15th Air Forces in the MTO.

Your man served in both the 12th and 15th Air Forces with the 99th BG. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I can send you a partial list of his missions and the members of his crews on those missions. He appears to have been with the 99th while they were part of the 12th AF in North Africa and then moved with the group to Italy when they became part of the 15th AF. I also have a copy of the Luke 43-A class book. I will verify if he is in the book and can then scan his photo for you if its there.

Marty

Overseas bars were not authorized until 30 June 1944. One possibility was that since he was in the 3rd AF, which was Southeast US, he may not have worn this jacket much after June 1944. He may have worn the khaki uniform and possibly later, the Ike jacket.