Donald Duck Paratrooper. Original painting by Joe Witzerman

Eric Queen

35 years ago I bought this piece of original artwork (hand painted on celluloid) from Don Davis. Don was an active US paratrooper collector at the time and had picked this up from one of the paratrooper veterans he was in contact with. I cannot remember exactly what the story was, but for some reason the vet had a connection (brother in law or something) to the artist Joe Witzerman. I believe Witzerman worked exclusively on artwork supporting the war effort (insignia's, etc.) and was not involved in the animation films. Like a stupid kid I traded it off later for something dumb (because I had no money) and always regretted it later. Like some miracle I showed up on eBay for sale a couple weeks ago and I just had to have it back.

s-l1600.jpg

pathfinder505

35 years ago I bought this piece of original artwork (hand painted on celluloid) from Don Davis. Don was an active US paratrooper collector at the time and had picked this up from one of the paratrooper veterans he was in contact with. I cannot remember exactly what the story was, but for some reason the vet had a connection (brother in law or something) to the artist Joe Witzerman. I believe Witzerman worked exclusively on artwork supporting the war effort (insignia's, etc.) and was not involved in the animation films. Like a stupid kid I traded it off later for something dumb (because I had no money) and always regretted it later. Like some miracle I showed up on eBay for sale a couple weeks ago and I just had to have it back.

Love the artwork

Great artwork and even better story. I love how these things seem to work themselves out sometimes. I imagine you paid a few more dollars to get it back than when you sold it.

Bob

Don is one of the good guy old timers. He picked up some great stuff in his day, most all of it directly from the vet/vets family.

I think the bottom one is more about Continental Airlines.The design on Donalds butt is for Continental Airlines. Very cool since its a one of a kind print.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
unknownsoldier

I wonder, did the 3rd reich ever adopt these type of cartoons in their propaganda? I know Hitler was fascinated with Clark Gable..