58 replies to this topic

#51 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 13,974 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:23 AM

I don't want this to sound like a pile-on, but I do think a comprehensive review of the pros and cons for extending it into Sunday would be of value. I know that people have all sorts of different work schedules and that getting time off or leave to be able to go to a show may be more difficult in some jobs than others, but having a full day on Saturday, in my personal opinion, would really be of value to the health of the show, attracting not only the general public but other collectors who might not be able to take off Friday (or Weds/Thurs for that matter). I did speak (figuratively; technically e-mail and PM) with several folks prior to the SoS and they weren't going as they didn't feel that traveling even for four or five hours to be able to hit the show for "just" a Friday was worthwhile - as to them, they considered Saturday a "pack up day". Obviously, I'm not in agreement with that, but that's how they see it and for some people, the early Saturday (albeit 3PM) is a real no-go in getting them to the show. 

I also think extending the hours on Thursday would be of value. I couldn't take Weds off from work, so Thurs was my travel day and by the time I flew out from CA, got to the show and unpacked, it was pretty much over for the day. No, I'm not saying that the hours should cater around my travel schedule, but I don't think (in fact, I know) I'm not the only one in that boat. 

Perhaps it would be worth taking a poll of the OVMS membership and asking what they like/dislike/want to change about the show, as well as their opinions of having it open on Sunday? Not everyone will agree to everything, but at least you could get a good feel for how the responding populace feels. 

I love the SoS and have attended every show I could for the last thirteen years or so, but some tweaks to it might make it even better.

Dave

#52 tarbridge

tarbridge

CHIEF MODERATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 123
  • 15,098 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:28 AM

Wednesday set up...5pm till 8pm
Thursday...8am till 5pm
Friday. ..8am till 5pm
Saturday. ..8am till 5pm
Sunday...8am till 3pm

Edited by tarbridge, 29 March 2016 - 08:36 AM.

#53 Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

Deceased Forum Moderator

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 83
  • 3,724 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:33 AM

Wednesday set up...5pm till 8pm
Thursday...8am till 5pm
Saturday. ..8am till 5pm
Sunday...8am till 3pm

Robert don't forget Friday

#54 tarbridge

tarbridge

CHIEF MODERATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,098 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:37 AM

Robert don't forget Friday

Thanks Garth. ..what would I do without you... %)

#55 USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321
  • Members
    • Member ID: 33,000
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:47 AM

Perfect!! Those would be great hours and I think once it caught on after a couple years you would see a huge difference in public and member attendance.

#56 tarbridge

tarbridge

CHIEF MODERATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,098 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:48 AM

It is the Militaria event of the year...let's stay awhile...it's a good time...

Edited by tarbridge, 29 March 2016 - 08:50 AM.

#57 Shenkursk

Shenkursk

MODERATOR / SPONSOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 183
  • 980 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:15 PM

It is the Militaria event of the year...let's stay awhile...it's a good time...

true!

For many of the sellers, though, it seems that they can't get in early enough.. and at the same time can't leave soon enough.  I was discussing this with one friend at Baltimore last week and proposed the following, purely in jest:

Monday, 5-8 setup

Tuesday 8-12 setup, members 12-5

Wednesday members 9-5

Thursday "public" 9-5

Friday 9-noon, then pack-up and move out from noon to 5.

"That way everybody could be home for the weekend!!"  (wink, nod)

He took me seriously, and was enthusiastically in favor of it.  -sigh-

We're all guilty of this to one extend or another, but it remains true that many of the participants are concerned ONLY with what is the most convenient for them, personally.  This is human nature, and no great surprise.. but it does have to be factored into the decision making process.  Unfortunately, when making any change or adjustments, there are a LOT of psychological hang-ups and preconceived notions that we must identify and either accommodate or overcome.

From the perspective of many sellers, anyone "truly serious" will find a way to be in the hall early, either on a buddy's 'helper' pass, as a life member, or clinging James Bond style to the undercarriage of a truck coming in during the drive-in portion of dealer set-up.  They will run around grabbing at eagles, swastikas, and painted M1 helmets like contestants in some perversion of a 1970's game show, leaving a trail of ATM cash and smiling vendors in their wake.  They might even return to hoover up a few overlooked crumbs the following day, but within 24 hours of Wednesday's grand opening, they are already aboard their helicopters and private jets, bound for their secret mountain retreats where the finds of the show are photographed for forum bragging rights, then sealed away in big vault rooms by a squad of attractive yet severe and serious young women decked out in black latex Panzer wraps.  

Meanwhile, back at the show, the greater proletariat makes their way to the hall to steal collar discs, break leather sword scabbards, try on uniforms, ask inane questions, overwhelm the lunch lines, and clog up the toilets.  The vast majority of serious business is long since complete, and all that remains for the dealers is to stare at one another for TWO DAYS until the blessed hour when the OVMS releases the shackles and they can chunk their remaining wares into dirty plastic tubs and burn rubber for the nearest exit.  Departing as close to 3:00 on Saturday is critical, since (for example) "I always get to Dalton, Georgia on Saturday night, and then if I leave there between 6:45 and 7:10 am on Sunday morning, I hit the beltway around Atlanta at the best possible time, which puts me home in time for my Sunday haircut during Missy's shift at Great Clips, and if I miss that I will look like a hippy when I get to work on Monday and I'll loose my job and my children will starve, and it will be ALL YOUR FAULT because I had to stay until 3:30!  Why do you have a jihad against my people?!?!"  

OK, that is a bit exaggerated, but it is in fact pretty emblematic of the myopic ME ME ME logic that drives a lot of the opinion that has been offered up in opposition to any proposed change to the 3:00 Saturday show implosion.  (AND, the jihad quote is a real, actual quote from a real, actual SOS dealer.)  Oddly enough, when this topic comes up, many of the dealers whose voices take on the timber of an eight-year-old who just learned that the buffet is fresh out of chocolate puddin' ARE THE SAME ONES who just a few years ago were getting busted for packing up early and going over to set up at Dickson's Gun Show, which, incidentally, runs until mid-day Sunday.

On the other side of the fence, visit any forum and you will learn that the members and collecting public absolutely buy into the concept of the mustachioed super-buyers who sack the Show-of-Shows like Alaric and the Visigoths; leaving nothing for the "normal" collectors to find in their wake but statues with their arms busted off, broken pottery, and tables filled with over-priced, counterfeit Colosseum snow globes.  So, the logic goes, if you can't get in on a helper pass or be there when the doors open on Thursday, there simply isn't any point to making the trek since everything good will already be gone.  Throw in a little class envy and the normal resentment of any collector who got something that you didn't, and pretty soon they have convinced themselves that the tables which are literally groaning with great stuff on Saturday can't really be tables full of good stuff because anything truly any good would have been gone Wednesday night within the first half hour.  So, they talk themselves into a funk and pass by nice artifacts that will only be 'good' again during the first hour of set-up at the next show.

In reality, with 166,500 square feet (~2000 tables) of militaria, there is great stuff to find the whole weekend.  YES, some wonderful stuff gets scarfed up as soon as it hits the table during set-up.  No matter when you get there, you will miss something, whether you know it or not.  That's life.  We all miss stuff.  I have tried for years to pass a rule that everybody sets up and then stands at attention at their table, with nothing sold until I have a chance to pass in review like a tin-pot dictator.. but the board shoots that down every time.  So chances are, they aren't going to pass the same rule for anybody else, either.  

As a seller who remains set up until the very end, I can also tell you that there is plenty of business to be done.  Is it strongest during set-up day?  Absolutely.  But, the regular collectors who come in Saturday morning are buyers too, and if you have nice items at reasonable prices, you can sell until our security chases you out at the end of the day.  We reluctantly had to put up caution tape around our booth Sunday during pack-out, so that we could get our work done without people digging in the boxes trying to do business.  Did enough sales before noon on Sunday to pay the hotel bill for the entire weekend.  

So, if as buyers and sellers we don't manage to talk ourselves out of it, the SOS is an epic event for both.  However, this trend of buyers and sellers considering the show "over" as of Friday afternoon will become a self-fulfilling prophecy unless the club takes steps to remedy the situation.

Whatever we do, (even if that is nothing at all), will be considered personally inconvenient to a number of people.  We must, though, look beyond our own personal preferences and conveniences and work for the good of the event overall.  A strong SOS is good for buyers, sellers, and the hobby as a whole.

Robert, in particular I appreciate your input.  Your support of the OVMS and the hobby in general are very much appreciated!!

#58 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 13,974 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:44 PM

From the perspective of many sellers, anyone "truly serious" will find a way to be in the hall early, either on a buddy's 'helper' pass, as a life member, or clinging James Bond style to the undercarriage of a truck coming in during the drive-in portion of dealer set-up.  They will run around grabbing at eagles, swastikas, and painted M1 helmets like contestants in some perversion of a 1970's game show, leaving a trail of ATM cash and smiling vendors in their wake.  They might even return to hoover up a few overlooked crumbs the following day, but within 24 hours of Wednesday's grand opening, they are already aboard their helicopters and private jets, bound for their secret mountain retreats where the finds of the show are photographed for forum bragging rights, then sealed away in big vault rooms by a squad of attractive yet severe and serious young women decked out in black latex Panzer wraps.  

For years, I've attempted to hide my true identity and modus operandi from people...and yet you somehow found me out! 

Off to drown by sorrows by burning a couple bags of hundred dollar bills...

;) :D

#59 tarbridge

tarbridge

CHIEF MODERATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,098 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:47 PM

true!

For many of the sellers, though, it seems that they can't get in early enough.. and at the same time can't leave soon enough.  I was discussing this with one friend at Baltimore last week and proposed the following, purely in jest:

Monday, 5-8 setup
Tuesday 8-12 setup, members 12-5
Wednesday members 9-5
Thursday "public" 9-5
Friday 9-noon, then pack-up and move out from noon to 5.

"That way everybody could be home for the weekend!!"  (wink, nod)

He took me seriously, and was enthusiastically in favor of it.  -sigh-

We're all guilty of this to one extend or another, but it remains true that many of the participants are concerned ONLY with what is the most convenient for them, personally.  This is human nature, and no great surprise.. but it does have to be factored into the decision making process.  Unfortunately, when making any change or adjustments, there are a LOT of psychological hang-ups and preconceived notions that we must identify and either accommodate or overcome.

Meanwhile, back at the show, the greater proletariat makes their way to the hall to steal collar discs, break leather sword scabbards, try on uniforms, ask inane questions, overwhelm the lunch lines, and clog up the toilets.  The vast majority of serious business is long since complete, and all that remains for the dealers is to stare at one another for TWO DAYS until the blessed hour when the OVMS releases the shackles and they can chunk their remaining wares into dirty plastic tubs and burn rubber for the nearest exit.  Departing as close to 3:00 on Saturday is critical, since (for example) "I always get to Dalton, Georgia on Saturday night, and then if I leave there between 6:45 and 7:10 am on Sunday morning, I hit the beltway around Atlanta at the best possible time, which puts me home in time for my Sunday haircut during Missy's shift at Great Clips, and if I miss that I will look like a hippy when I get to work on Monday and I'll loose my job and my children will starve, and it will be ALL YOUR FAULT because I had to stay until 3:30!  Why do you have a jihad against my people?!?!"  

OK, that is a bit exaggerated, but it is in fact pretty emblematic of the myopic ME ME ME logic that drives a lot of the opinion that has been offered up in opposition to any proposed change to the 3:00 Saturday show implosion.  (AND, the jihad quote is a real, actual quote from a real, actual SOS dealer.)  Oddly enough, when this topic comes up, many of the dealers whose voices take on the timber of an eight-year-old who just learned that the buffet is fresh out of chocolate puddin' ARE THE SAME ONES who just a few years ago were getting busted for packing up early and going over to set up at Dickson's Gun Show, which, incidentally, runs until mid-day Sunday.

On the other side of the fence, visit any forum and you will learn that the members and collecting public absolutely buy into the concept of the mustachioed super-buyers who sack the Show-of-Shows like Alaric and the Visigoths; leaving nothing for the "normal" collectors to find in their wake but statues with their arms busted off, broken pottery, and tables filled with over-priced, counterfeit Colosseum snow globes.  So, the logic goes, if you can't get in on a helper pass or be there when the doors open on Thursday, there simply isn't any point to making the trek since everything good will already be gone.  Throw in a little class envy and the normal resentment of any collector who got something that you didn't, and pretty soon they have convinced themselves that the tables which are literally groaning with great stuff on Saturday can't really be tables full of good stuff because anything truly any good would have been gone Wednesday night within the first half hour.  So, they talk themselves into a funk and pass by nice artifacts that will only be 'good' again during the first hour of set-up at the next show.

In reality, with 166,500 square feet (~2000 tables) of militaria, there is great stuff to find the whole weekend.  YES, some wonderful stuff gets scarfed up as soon as it hits the table during set-up.  No matter when you get there, you will miss something, whether you know it or not.  That's life.  We all miss stuff.  I have tried for years to pass a rule that everybody sets up and then stands at attention at their table, with nothing sold until I have a chance to pass in review like a tin-pot dictator.. but the board shoots that down every time.  So chances are, they aren't going to pass the same rule for anybody else, either.  

As a seller who remains set up until the very end, I can also tell you that there is plenty of business to be done.  Is it strongest during set-up day?  Absolutely.  But, the regular collectors who come in Saturday morning are buyers too, and if you have nice items at reasonable prices, you can sell until our security chases you out at the end of the day.  We reluctantly had to put up caution tape around our booth Sunday during pack-out, so that we could get our work done without people digging in the boxes trying to do business.  Did enough sales before noon on Sunday to pay the hotel bill for the entire weekend.  

So, if as buyers and sellers we don't manage to talk ourselves out of it, the SOS is an epic event for both.  However, this trend of buyers and sellers considering the show "over" as of Friday afternoon will become a self-fulfilling prophecy unless the club takes steps to remedy the situation.

Whatever we do, (even if that is nothing at all), will be considered personally inconvenient to a number of people.  We must, though, look beyond our own personal preferences and conveniences and work for the good of the event overall.  A strong SOS is good for buyers, sellers, and the hobby as a whole.

Robert, in particular I appreciate your input.  Your support of the OVMS and the hobby in general are very much appreciated!!

The formula is real simple...whatever it takes to keep the SOS the best show in the land...changing hours...adding Sunday...in the long run it makes a healthy show.There will be some disgruntled folks...but if they want to attend the SOS. ..a venue 100% designed for militaria community to Buy great things-Sell great things-Trade great things...and just educate yourself ...you can get a four year degree in a few days.There are plenty of 30 to 75 table shows on Saturday from 8am to 3pm all over the place for the folks who are watching the clock.

Edited by tarbridge, 30 March 2016 - 12:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users