Photo

A Tiger Zoo--Flying Tigers AVG, CBI, & 23rd Fighter Grouping + Other PTO ETO Heroes

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#51 vietvet7071

vietvet7071
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,293
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:13 AM

These are the most fantastic collection pieces ever.

Thanks for posting.

#52 JDK

JDK
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,901
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:18 AM

More great items. Love seeing these pieces. 

JD

#53 firefighter

firefighter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 105,435
  • 12,983 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:30 PM

Amazing stuff.  :love: 

#54 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
    • Member ID: 160,067
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:47 AM

Jose,

You have an amazing collection. Here is my tiny collection of AVG items that belonged to John and Emma Jean Petach.

Dick

Hi Dick, 

I have thought much of your find on the remains of AVG Pete Petach and his almost surviving the war with AVG Nurse wife Jane Foster. Whew.

When It's Bad Luck It's No Go. I always avoid buying artefacts of non-survivors of battles because it is just my preference. Even when they did survive their service like recently last year I turned down Pappy Boyington's mini-tiger and his post AVG air battle awards and documents as a US Marine Corsair Fighter.  The record of his post war life was a turnoff for me.  His unstable marital life, his drunken waywardness and intra-colleague fights leading to the US Navy ejecting him from the War Bonds poster boy line up, and his often being discovered sleeping on the streets after being booted out of bars was something else.  He couldn't just keep still and help his country raise money to get out of its war debts. I don't buy stuff belonging to a knucklehead. Full stop.

Love & Gentle Longing. But your find, to me, is quite an exception.  I agree with the comment in some other topic of USMIlitaria, that Emma ¨Red¨ Jane's possession of her intended sterling silver gift of an engraved cigarette case plus storage of AVG Pilot Pete Petach's uniform AVG artefacts within was an act of steady sentiment of a good past--contrast the constant threat of violent death at the time--and of love through the ages, even into her life with her new hubby and family back in the USA mainland.

This is an exceptional, exceptional good luck find, mi amigo.  If ever you are seeking the next curator of your Emma Jane's (¨Red¨ Foster) and Pete Petach's Insignias, give a yeller and many will be there.

Regards,

Jose

Attached Images

• Emma Jane & Pete Petach Insignias.jpg

#55 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:13 AM

These are the most fantastic collection pieces ever.

Thanks for posting.

More great items. Love seeing these pieces. 

JD

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words.  

Vietvet7071...i don't want to digress the thread of this topic but here is a patch my American dealer bought off a retired Navy person (a legalman officer) and his buddies.  All in all, his fellow officers, some E-8s and midshipmen had these made in Phuket as they made their way to a SouthEast Asian waypoint for the following operation.

Operation Homecoming 2--Real or What?  This has to do with the carrier Nimitz task force in the Arabian Sea in late '87, and some select crew in the know. The proposed operation was called, Operation Homecoming Two and it is still classified because of the ruckus of POW-MIA families until today.  In late '87 to very early '88 General Vessey was tasked by the 2nd Reagan Administration to meet with Vietnam President Thac's people, but in the interregnum the Vietnam government hardened their line because of their bitter economic experience and maybe impatience of the U.S. panel's tepid attitude in giving something in exchange and mostly, from the communist-Asean member country's being left out hanging with the U.S. and European embargo. Thus, in exchange for any cooperation for finding more remains or handing over more records of accounting, they trotted out the same demand for economic aid.  (As footnote, the Vietnam government became cooperative by mid ’88 probably due to the black winds they smelled from the diminishing aid the Soviet’s granted as the latter collapsed soon afterwards & pressure from ASEAN member states)

Attitude Of The Navy Men & The 2nd Reagan Admin.  The CVW 8 or 9 (Carrier Air Wing)--I'll check when I get back--flight, ground crew (sr. aviation machinists mates and aviation boatswain's) had these limited patches sewn in Thailand and worn in defiance of the sudden cancellation of the operation.  In anger to Vietnam's attitude and in sympathy for the strong demand of its citizens’ to bring back the remains or live POWS,  the classic Vietnam war UN-mandated insignia--with the Republic of South Vietnam ¨still lives¨ flag--was incorporated on the patch. They were the carrier on board delivery backup for the Cubi Point, Subic Bay-Hanoi and back flights to bring back the remains in case Gen. Vessey had a go on the end year '87 visit.  The Navy man told my guy that these clandestine PR event was all subsumed when the Nimitz encountered an onboard accident in early '88, whereby focus was shifted to the casualties on board and bringing the ship back to Bremerton for repairs.  They had them on their g-1s which my guy bargained and bought 5 more out of a dusty, mouldy pile of 20 or 30 patches.

Btw, I still cherish my us visa even though gave up my green card & residence in Pennsylvania a long time ago, so I respect any classified information; and just present the foregoing background of the insignia patches as an alleged event by some sellers.  For all we know, this is all a crock 'o' b from the sellers.

You Are Not Forgotten. So, in honour for the still hundreds of enlisted men and officers still missing in action and unaccounted for and that more remains of the latter be found I post this.  No further comments. 

Attached Images

• Very Rare Nimitz Defiance POW-MIA Cruise Patch.jpg

#56 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:22 AM

Part 2--Some CBI Pins & AVG Flying Tigers-CBI BloodChits.  Here are some insignia artefacts used by USA-CBI theatre participants:

A very rare WW2 312th Figther Wing DUI (Distinctive Unit Insignia) of the USArmy AirForce or the 14th Air Force. They were stationed in Kunming & Chengdu in China from early 1944 to mid 1945 and disbanded in New Jersey USA by end 1945:

Attached Images

• Rare ww2 312th Fighter Wing.jpg

#57 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:23 AM

The dexter facing tiger of the 14th Air Force of the US Army AirForce:

Attached Images

• WW2 14th Air Force .jpg

#58 tarbridge

tarbridge

CHIEF MODERATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 123
  • 15,098 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:24 AM

Jose,
Your collection is exceptional and World class pertaining to the "Tigers"...I understand your thought process and personal conviction, to speak, why you do what you do...somebody like Pappy who lived larger than life and did not follow the normal traditional family morality. ..at the end of the day, he is still "Pappy Boyington"...Mythical and Legendary. I'm sure there was a rough transition from MOH awardee and Fighter Ace,to being shelved. While many of those guys returned home sliding right back as comfortable as possible ,the old life.I knew many of that generation. ..many drank hard, smoked hard and lived hard ...I always wondered if that was a pressure valve.
Thank you for posting your items and we look forward to more.

#59 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:25 AM

Some CBI Theatre (China-Burma-India) general insignia where more than 40,000 US personnel rotated:

Attached Images

• Cbi pins.jpg

#60 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:27 AM

The CBI 33rd bombardment group WW2 DUI based out of Formosa, as Admiral Nimitz retook possession of the islands, at the same time Gen. Douglas MacArthur in late 1944 was invading Leyte Gulf in the Philippine Commonwealth:

Attached Images

• WW2 33rd bombardment group w o flash .jpg

#61 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:29 AM

The patch:

Attached Images

• Ww2 33rd bomber squadron.jpg

#62 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:31 AM

A Chinese Air Force cum AVG-Flying Tigers used cap badge mostly for ground and admin with the metal device in gold used by officers:

Attached Images

• Ww2 Chinese ceramic badge w flash.jpg

#63 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:32 AM

The back:

Attached Images

• Back.jpg

#64 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:33 AM

A grimy, but pretty nice AVG Flying Tigers cum Chinese Air Force officers cap device:

Attached Images

• Ww2 Chinese Air Force Cap device badge.jpg

#65 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:34 AM

The back:

Attached Images

• Ww2 Chinese Air Force Cap device badge back.jpg

#66 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:46 AM

AVG Flying Tigers, CATF, WW2 US Navy Aviator CBI Bloodchits.  A lot has been said of authenticity of bloodchits in the CBI. Stamped or not; per mission issue or not; attributed to a person or not or just simply gotten from a pile of patches at the Kunming AVG admin office or not, transitional AVG to CATF to 23rd Fighter Squadron or not, etc.  Some of the bloodchits I acquired came from auction agents in Florida helping to plan part of the end of life issues of a CATF veteran or AVGer's widow. I find it a little disrespectful to broadcast the provenance when it is quite fresh from the death of the AVGer's widow herself vis the auction house and/or her estate lawyer. Let's just enjoy a sampler of the artistic presentation of items worn by the greatest generation of America's heroes who fought like honey badgers to create the world we know for the last 75 years.

Attached Images

• Avg Catf blood chit.jpg

#67 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:48 AM

Back of AVG cloth canvas bloodchit:

Attached Images

• Back of avg canvas bloodchit.jpg

#68 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:49 AM

A Silk AVG CATF bloodchit:

Attached Images

• Silk AVG Catf bloodchit (1).jpg

#69 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:50 AM

Pretty silky still:

Attached Images

• Silk avg Catf bloodchit.jpg

#70 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:50 AM

Back of AVG CATF Silk Bloodchit:

Attached Images

• Back of silk bloodchit.jpg

#71 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:53 AM

As Admiral Chester Nimitz brought his forces to bear on the Chinese Coastline to force the Japanese Kwangtung Army to flee northwards, even US naval aviators became part of the CBI theatre participants.  So, it was not only the US Army Airforce that contributed to Empire of Japan's defeat in China:

Attached Images

• Cbi us navy leather bloodchit.jpg

#72 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:56 AM

Whew, that's it for now.  Next part we'll go back to the life and times of the Flying Tigers AVGers.

Attached Images

• Back of us navy Cbi bloodchit.jpg

#73 josesharontraders

josesharontraders
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:02 AM

Jose,
Your collection is exceptional and World class pertaining to the "Tigers"...I understand your thought process and personal conviction, to speak, why you do what you do...somebody like Pappy who lived larger than life and did not follow the normal traditional family morality. ..at the end of the day, he is still "Pappy Boyington"...Mythical and Legendary. I'm sure there was a rough transition from MOH awardee and Fighter Ace,to being shelved. While many of those guys returned home sliding right back as comfortable as possible ,the old life.I knew many of that generation. ..many drank hard, smoked hard and lived hard ...I always wondered if that was a pressure valve.
Thank you for posting your items and we look forward to more.

Señor tartbridge,

Yes, you are correct.  We forgot to thank Pappy Boyington for his service, and for inspiring bravery in the persons that followed. In the early 70s, I used to watch a lot of Robert Conrad playing MOH Boyington's role in ¨Baa Baa Black Sheep¨ and was undoubtedly impressed.

Saludos,

jose

#74 kanemono

kanemono
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,487
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:16 AM

"Pappy Boyington" was an American Hero and he was awarded the MOH. However, he was also a person who probably suffered from PTSD. Today he would be treated by a Doctor after WW2 the veterans just suffered in silence.

Dick

#75 Thor996

Thor996
  • Members
    • Member ID: 30,395
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:02 AM

When It's Bad Luck It's No Go. I always avoid buying artefacts of non-survivors of battles because it is just my preference. Even when they did survive their service like recently last year I turned down Pappy Boyington's mini-tiger and his post AVG air battle awards and documents as a US Marine Corsair Fighter.  The record of his post war life was a turnoff for me.  His unstable marital life, his drunken waywardness and intra-colleague fights leading to the US Navy ejecting him from the War Bonds poster boy line up, and his often being discovered sleeping on the streets after being booted out of bars was something else.  He couldn't just keep still and help his country raise money to get out of its war debts. I don't buy stuff belonging to a knucklehead. Full stop.

Nice collection, but a comment on this comment: I'm sure Boyington didn't choose to be an alcoholic- its a disease- therefore JMHO, he wasn't a 'knucklehead' but more of a man with an issue bigger than he could handle or admit to and I believe he did get sober before he passed away. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users