45 replies to this topic

#26 Shenkursk

Shenkursk

MODERATOR / SPONSOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 183
  • 980 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:00 PM

Unless something unexpected happens, CS flags will not be a problem next year.

(That's word from admin, not gossip or speculation.)

Edited by Shenkursk, 21 February 2016 - 08:01 PM.

#27 Grant Bias

Grant Bias
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,979
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:21 PM

I saw Maj. Dick Winter's stuff and it was definitely a piece of history and I felt lucky to be able to view it.  As far as if it was for sale or for display, well that depends on who you asked. The people who had it out on their table were good friends of Kelly Hicks and if you asked the man he said "it was for display only", however the wife spoke up and said, " everything has it's price and it could be yours for the right amount". So, I had the distinct felling that it could be bought if the right amount of cash was thrown at them ( I mean the right amount thrown at the wife). They did say that the group was purchased in three parts over a period of time. 

#28 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:43 AM

Exactly...I was trying to be humorous as anyone I have ever ran into that tells other people they are "advanced" or "an expert" and have given themselves the lable or the crown is basically a clown....red shoes and all. :D

I understand completely Ron, If a person proclaims themselves the grand-puba of advanced collecting, it's like chewing tinfoil laced with lemon juice for those who have the dishonor of hearing you proclaim yourself as such. On the other hand, the word: advanced, becomes a compliment when your peers refer to you as being advanced. Thus, my statement was in admiration of Paul who "I consider to be" an advanced collector and an all around great guy. :)

#29 4th Miss Cav

4th Miss Cav
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,007
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:15 AM

This was my first year at the show.  I was able to bring my 14 year old son and for the most part we had a great father son weekend.  I came to buy not just browse and was able to pick up quite a few WWI uniforms and helmets at what I thought were good prices.  It was great to meet some of the dealers I have done business with on the internet for years.  My only complaint is that it was hard to get some of the dealers attention.  They seemed to be locked in conversation with other dealers behind the tables, texting, on the cell phone, reading a book, or my personal favorite could just care a less.  I dealt in Civil War items for many years and always tried to treat anyone who came to my table with respect, regardless if they bought or not.  There was a uniform that I wanted $400.00+ range and I would have bought it, but the dealer would not even look up after repeated attempts to get his attention.  His loss because I know that is not the only one out there.  I know that fatigue sets in after a while but you should know that going in.  I will go back though as I thought overall it was a great show.

#30 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,682 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:28 AM

I understand completely Ron, If a person proclaims themselves the grand-puba of advanced collecting, it's like chewing tinfoil laced with lemon juice for those who have the dishonor of hearing you proclaim yourself as such. On the other hand, the word: advanced, becomes a compliment when your peers refer to you as being advanced. Thus, my statement was in admiration of Paul who "I consider to be" an advanced collector and an all around great guy. :)

Yep - it's a compliment to be called "an advanced collector." It's arrogant BS to call yourself one.

#31 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 5,589
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:41 AM

Yep - it's a compliment to be called "an advanced collector." It's arrogant BS to call yourself one.

VERY TRUE!

#32 manayunkman

manayunkman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 51,189
  • 14,182 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:26 AM

I predict a new fall Winters line.

On the other forum it was mentioned that 200,000 had been offered for the Winters group.

There is money to be made here folks.

#33 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:42 AM

There is money to be made here folks.

Only on the EXTREMELY rare items can money be made. How many times will a group such as the Winters group be found?

Edited by cutiger83, 22 February 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#34 Mr.Jerry

Mr.Jerry

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 119
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:02 AM

I am exhausted. 

After the drive and off loading at the shop I got home about 9pm last night.

It was great to see all of the forum members that did stop by! (sorry that I missed the ones I did in the few times I was out & about)

Glad everyone liked the cookies and Magnets!

With so much great stuff there, it is always overwhelming.

I found a nice 3 star Army-Navy E flag for my own collection & book, the cool thing it was ID'ed to the factory with the E pin and card that stated it was for that award!

#35 MAW

MAW
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,778
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:40 AM

This was my first year at the show.  I was able to bring my 14 year old son and for the most part we had a great father son weekend.  I came to buy not just browse and was able to pick up quite a few WWI uniforms and helmets at what I thought were good prices.  It was great to meet some of the dealers I have done business with on the internet for years.  My only complaint is that it was hard to get some of the dealers attention.  They seemed to be locked in conversation with other dealers behind the tables, texting, on the cell phone, reading a book, or my personal favorite could just care a less.  I dealt in Civil War items for many years and always tried to treat anyone who came to my table with respect, regardless if they bought or not.  There was a uniform that I wanted $400.00+ range and I would have bought it, but the dealer would not even look up after repeated attempts to get his attention.  His loss because I know that is not the only one out there.  I know that fatigue sets in after a while but you should know that going in.  I will go back though as I thought overall it was a great show.

I remember meeting you, and having a nice conversation about some of your CW relic experiences.....

Part of the fun of a show is meeting new people, trading stories with old friends, and networking in general.  Plus, in a practical sense, it's wise to meet and acknowledge people who come to your table.  You never know what they might have out in the car; or what information they might have.  Plus, it's good for security purposes...if people know you're engaged with them, it reduces any potential theft temptations....

Rest assured, if you're looking for another group and have money burning a hole in your pocket...I'll do my best to remedy that situation.  :)

Hope you had a good show.

#36 manayunkman

manayunkman
  • Members
  • 14,182 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:29 PM

Only on the EXTREMELY rare items can money be made. How many times will a group such as the Winters group be found?

Don't forget the thread about the hats named to famous military personnel.

They had fake period style names inside them.

How easy would it be to make up a few Winters hats for $5000 or more each?

#37 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,855 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:59 PM

Exactly my thoughts.

#38 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

If someone is stupid enough to pay $5000 for a hat named to Dick Winters with no solid provenance, then they should not be a military collector. :D  "Caveat Emptor" could not be more appropriate.... :)

#39 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

I think that is why I didn't fall over when I saw the group. Hard to believe I was seeing what I was seeing.

Don't forget the thread about the hats named to famous military personnel.

They had fake period style names inside them.

#40 manayunkman

manayunkman
  • Members
  • 14,182 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:52 PM

Garandomatic,

I'm not saying anything about the Winters group at the SOS.

I haven't the foggiest idea about it nor am I qualified to pass judgment on it.

In 1992 I had the opportunity to see his jacket first hand and handle it at his gentleman farm.

But to be honest I don't remember much about the jacket other than it had all the insignia, ribbons etc. and that Winters said it was the only one he had.

I do know that that same evening he gave the pants that were on the hanger with the jacket to a young man from the UK.

Frankly I didn't really know at the time what I was looking at as my strength at the time was TR and I was enthralled with a German Para smock that he showed those gathered there.

I was on the cusp of collecting US items so my knowledge was weak, not that it's any better now.

#41 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:24 PM

I understand, what I mean is that when I saw it, my disbelief and general skepticism watered down what might have been an amazing experience.  I had to look it over real well before I figured that the bulk of items had to add up to the real deal.  Kinda stinks, as I would have been in awe in another setting, I think.

#42 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:01 PM

I'm not saying anything about the Winters group at the SOS.

I haven't the foggiest idea about it nor am I qualified to pass judgment on it.

You may not be able to but, I can. It is 100% from Dick Winters. Since I am not the owner, I am not at liberty to share everything here but, I was in contact when it all came into the current owners hands. If we are using the true definition of provenance here, which is the chain of ownership, then this one would be considered impeccable. 

#43 David D

David D
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,093
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:16 PM

I agree with Bugme. The trail of owners up to this point is also known by me and its rock solid. Beautiful group at that.

#44 ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme
  • Members
    • Member ID: 122,868
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

Does anyone have photos of the Dick Winters grouping?

#45 David D

David D
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,093
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:35 PM

It was posted in the other SOS thread

#46 ScottG

ScottG
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,832
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:00 AM

So, as I mentioned in the expectations topic, I don't go to the SOS anymore. Nothing really bad, just personal preference. As I was writing the last time, I mentioned that I had received a large museum clean out pile of stuff and that I was working on another. That museum contacted me today and confirmed that I could get the de-accessed items, which was awesome! While I am not at liberty to say what museum it is just yet, there are in excess of 10,000 uniforms! I was told my role in the process and that it was expected that about 1/2 would be released. The hope from the museum is that with my crew involved, we can cut down the 2 year estimated time frame to complete the job properly.

Many will simply be absorbed into my local museum project, but many will be sold. The number of uniforms doesn't include the equipment, weapons, boots, etc... that must also be sorted. So, my day after is fantastic as well! Glad most of you had a successful show!  Scott

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users