Vietnam era M1 bail problem

Camaro69427

Not really a preservation topic, but here goes...

I picked up a Vietnam War manufactured M1 and liner from a vet, over the weekend. It seems to be in really nice shape in original paint with what I believe to be the original OG chin straps. One problem I noticed is that when I put the chin strap around the back of the helmet, the left side metal clasp that holds the strap to the bail is kicked out at a wierd angle. Upon further inspection, I saw that the bail itself wasn't as far out as the right side. Also, one of the welds holding the left bail to the pot has broken. Is this a common problem with M1s made during this period? Should I fix it? Is is as simple as rewelding the bail where it's supposed to be? It really looks kinda wonky with uneven bales.

I doubt the vet I bought it from was in Vietnam. He'd just retired after 20 years in the serivce. It was just the helmet with Vietnam chinstraps and later removable suspension liner.

The pics I took were too big i guess, so I was only able to post one. Since I'm a new member I can't post anymore until 6:41 PM tonight, so this'll have to do for now. I can post more at 6:41.

post-151816-0-13054700-1455656288.jpg

It shows the angle at which the clasp is. I added the Mitchell cover. Sorry for the crappy picture quality. They were taken with my tablet.