• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SimonLMoore

SimonLMoore
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 160,078
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:47 PM

Hi chaps, long time no post, thought I would return with one with a monster of a title, again on the subject of body armour. I had always understood that the relatively limited issue of the standardised M-1952A armour vest in Korea was limited to US troops but I recently turned up this photo which I had previously missed in an Osprey publication on the Korean War. Both the KATCOM and British soldiers, centre and right seem to be wearing M-1952A vests.

Flak Vests.jpg

Can anyone shed any further light on issue to non-US troops during the conflict in Korea? I am particularly interested in their issue to the Commonwealth Division.

I was also hoping someone would be able to enlighten me as I am hoping to find suitable laces and the correct method of lacing (if there is one) to replace the para-cord I initially used to substitute for the missing laces on my own M-1952A vest. Pictures to follow tomorrow for interest's sake!

#2 SimonLMoore

SimonLMoore
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 160,078
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:04 AM

Slight delay, nothing unusual, just a quite tidy 1954 example, picked up a year or so ago on UK ebay for about £40.

untitled_by_simonlmoore-d9s3yq4.jpg

untitled_by_simonlmoore-d9s3ypl.jpg

#3 MEversbergII

MEversbergII
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,639
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

This is a bit of a bump, but I was reading about these recently in the Osprey book from the late 80s.  The M1952A2 (T52-2) seems to have had 1/4" thick sheet of what sounds like Neoprine or something similar around the ribs and "shoulder girdle".  Was this on the T52-3, AKA the M1952 that actually got the mass issue?  Or did they switch back to pure ballistic nylon?

M.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users