Case M3 with M6 scabbard

Keith

John-Have yet to meet with Bill personally, but have worked with him before on procurement of an item. Interesting info on the straight guard, Thanks SKIP.

You did not give me time. I tried to recreate the photo with bill, Adrian, and myself, but bill is hard to capture. Ha ha. Back to the scabbard. I believe most of the SBL's were shipped to Norway post war. They were quite rare until Norway surplussed them A few years ago and they started working their way back to the US. A characteristic of their scabbard is the preservative they used which darkened them and the movement of the snap to fit their knife. Most of the m6 scabbards found with the lowered snap have been returned from Norway. Regards,

Have seen V-42s where the seller was asking, and may have gotten $10,000. Good point brought up by ccyooper about the "SBL" retaining straps being moved lower. Have seen that! SKIP

Back to the scabbard. I believe most of the SBL's were shipped to Norway post war. They were quite rare until Norway surplussed them A few years ago and they started working their way back to the US. A characteristic of their scabbard is the preservative they used which darkened them and the movement of the snap to fit their knife. Most of the m6 scabbards found with the lowered snap have been returned from Norway. Regards,

Interesting. As the photos I posted show the snap has been lowered and it is a SBL scabbard; so it sounds like this came from Norway? I bought it from a friend who said he had had it for 20 years, so it has been a few years ago. So the 1943 date on it is a manufactured date and they were not issued until Post-War and went to Norway? I guess that is not as good as one of WW2 usage? Anyway, I appreciate the sharing of knowledge on this. I did clean the scabbard and got rid of the verdigris at the lower grommet and the dirt between the staples. I used Renaissance Wax which is also what I put on the knife. The wax did darken the leather some. I'll post the photos of it after waxing. Now for the big question: I gave $600 for this set...did I still do OK or Good or Bad? Thanks again.

post-2830-0-76541600-1455411481.jpg

post-2830-0-95162600-1455411503.jpg

I've seen several M6 Scabbards that have had the strap lowered. In fact, several that were then moved back to the original position. The last one was a Viner Bros. Apparently, it was a fairly popular thing to do. Considering what you got, I think you did great at $600.00.

You did not give me time. I tried to recreate the photo with bill, Adrian, and myself, but bill is hard to capture. Ha ha. Back to the scabbard. I believe most of the SBL's were shipped to Norway post war. They were quite rare until Norway surplussed them A few years ago and they started working their way back to the US. A characteristic of their scabbard is the preservative they used which darkened them and the movement of the snap to fit their knife. Most of the m6 scabbards found with the lowered snap have been returned from Norway. Regards,

This is what I have observed as well the lowering of the strap is typical from ones used post war from Europe.Several years ago at the SOS a european dealer had all kinds of the M6 scabbards.The story was former Dutch Marine usage.Most all of the makers were present.

A friend was looking them over and said Hayes was buying them up.If I recall correctly the dealer finally got a bit concerned why he was buying so many and then raised the price.

Keith- I think $600 is a fair price for what you have. CASE blade-dated M3, with a rare "SBL" M6 scabbard. Thanks for sharing with us all. SKIP

I too think you paid a fair price for a dated case. While not all scabbards with their snaps moved came from Norway, most SBL's that I have seen with that characteristic have. Based upon the colored staking (tang normally in the white, yours has preservative or refinish applied) and the blade shape of your knife, it appears to have been refinished at one time. Nor really fair to judge by a few pics but looks like cold blue. The ordnance bombs on early case knives was very small as compared to other makers and at times only part of the strike is present. I enlarged your picture and next to a little white fleck of dust/paint I see what could be the shape of a partial stamp. It would also be less obvious if preservative was applied to your pommel (common), if it as well as the scabbard came from overseas and/or if it was refinished. Did you do alright? Think of it this way, Scabbard $250; blade dated Case in that condition $350. Now try and assemble that package for $600 in the condition of your gear, good luck! Thanks for sharing.

I too think you paid a fair price for a dated case. While not all scabbards with their snaps moved came from Norway, most SBL's that I have seen with that characteristic have. Based upon the colored staking (tang normally in the white, yours has preservative or refinish applied) and the blade shape of your knife, it appears to have been refinished at one time. Nor really fair to judge by a few pics but looks like cold blue. The ordnance bombs on early case knives was very small as compared to other makers and at times only part of the strike is present. I enlarged your picture and next to a little white fleck of dust/paint I see what could be the shape of a partial stamp. It would also be less obvious if preservative was applied to your pommel (common), if it as well as the scabbard came from overseas and/or if it was refinished. Did you do alright? Think of it this way, Scabbard $250; blade dated Case in that condition $350. Now try and assemble that package for $600 in the condition of your gear, good luck! Thanks for sharing.

I took some photos in daylight. It may now show the blade and finish better as I would be interested to know if you still think it has cold blue on it. Like you said; it is hard to judge from a couple of photos, but if you will. thanks.

I also enlarged the "dents" that perhaps is the ordnance stamp. Any further thoughts on that? Thanks again. keith

post-2830-0-48596200-1456095100.jpg

This is my other M3, a guard marked Utica. What I understand about this knife is that post-war they were reconditioned and put into storage. I think this one was originally in a 1950's dated package. I didn't photo it but it does have the ordnance bomb on the pommel top. Thanks.

post-2830-0-80212200-1456096493.jpg

Good pics Keith! The CASE bluing looks original to me. The Utica looks in excellent condition too. I'm really surprised the scabbard was not upgraded to a later M8A1 w/ metal tip. I have a Camillus, and Utica, both place into storage w/ late scabbards from the early 60s. SKIP

Good pics Keith! The CASE bluing looks original to me. The Utica looks in excellent condition too. I'm really surprised the scabbard was not upgraded to a later M8A1 w/ metal tip. I have a Camillus, and Utica, both place into storage w/ late scabbards from the early 60s. SKIP

SKIPH, there was no scabbard with it when I bought it (the Utica M3). I paired it afterwards with the scabbard. Here is a photo of the pommel:

post-2830-0-58046200-1456098528.jpg