M1917 Bolo in Metal Scabbard photos

bayonetman

I noticed that John (jagjetta) posted a couple of photos in the WW1 section that shows the metal LF&C scabbard for the Model 1910/17 bolo in use in WW1. As photos of these are pretty uncommon, with his permission I am reposting them here.

The first seems to be taken in a studio with a backdrop, showing a soldier of the 5th Division:

post-66-0-88570500-1455027058.jpg

The second is from a group photo of the MG Battalion of the 32nd Division:

post-66-0-08972300-1455027146.jpg

Here are a few more views from the 32nd Division MG Battalion (no regiment indicated) panorama. It appears everyone in the Battalion received a Bolo. Scabbards are mixed: Canvas covered and metal.

JAG

post-949-0-43810900-1455033782.jpg

world war I nerd

I believe that the stamped metal scabbards came out very late in the war. That's probably why we only see them in post Armistice images, like the ones above.

I recall reading the diary of a machine gunner, whose unit I do not remember, who wrote that his company fought the entire war without the benefit of having a bolo knife as they had never been issued. H couldn't figure out why they were finally issued after the Armistice had been signed when they no longer had any use for them. He then declared that it was just as well, because in his opinion, the only thing that the bolos were good for was for throwing at the barn door to see if it would go in point first.