Unusual belt buckle with EGA?

vzemke

Vance, there was a discussion very recently regarding a similar buckle minus the red enamel background on yours. In short, these buckles I believe were produced during the Banana War period sometime as private purchase. I dont believe they were ever "approved" for the uniform, but suspect they may have been worn by officers or maybe even China Marines, (somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind I seem to recall once reading that the mounted China Marines may have worn these). Jim Morans book on Marine Corps uniforms 1912 to 1945 has a photo of one similar on the cover. Yours is the first one I have ever seen with the red enamel background and the ega on your appears much smaller than on others I have seen. I suppose if these were non regulation, you might see a whole lot of variation. You seem to be missing the other side, which is the female side to accept the tab. It is basically a mirror of the loop section mounted on the circle if that makes sense. Interesting piece there with the enameling. Thanks for sharing. Kevin

I cannot get my paste feature to work, but the other thread was posted by tarbridge on January 26, 2016 under field gear titled Early USMC belt & buckle. Kevin

I'd say a late 30s-40s successor to the ones discussed in the above link...perhaps more geared towards sweetheart than the Marine himself

suwanneetrader

Well it just went on eBay for $74. incld postage. I was second but thought it fit in with 1930's of my collection Wonder if a Forum Member got it? Richard