Any ideas? Kinfolks?

jw517

Seller listed it as kabar?

Just a guess on the Boker end.Has some like features to my eyes

Kabar did have several small hunting patterns and I recall had things made in Japan as well under the Khyber brand that were good quality.

I saw it and I remembered the one I saw here. Thought it was KINFOLKS . Looks to much like Boker to be anything else though . Great shape and give away price made me buy it.

Basically it's what is commonly referred to as a "Bird and Trout knife". For almost the last 100 years, virtually every knife maker produced there own version of this pattern.

I suspect that it is likely made by Boker, because of the construction of the guard. This is similar construction to the guard that you do see on the confirmed examples of the Boker SAC Survival Knife. However this example is missing the blade stamps and the lanyard hole in the pommel that I'd expect to see in the SAC knife.

The sheath does resemble a known sheath that Boker used in at least some of their commercial examples of the 155 pattern knife. But determining when a knife got matched up with a sheath it comes with is routinely problematic. The correct sheath for the SAC knife is reported to have been sourced to Major Burton T. Miller U.S.A.F. ,(thanks to Frank in his Knife Knotes vol.9) , I don't know if Boker provided them or if they were out sourced.

Over the years there is a wide variety of small changes witnessed in the examples of the Boker 155. Boker is also known to have produced knives who's only markings were light etchings on the blades. A possibility why this one seems to be unmarked.

IMHO, I'd need to see some provenance that accounts for the apparent discrepancies in this knife before I'd include it in the U.S.A.F. MIL-K-4988 category.

Still looks like a solid knife. If it is a Boker USA ,which I suspect it is, it should prove to be. IMHO, the price paid is a bargain whatever is may eventually prove to be.

Thanks sactroop. Looking at it closer I think it's just a knife and not military but when you see a Neet thing like that for 13.00 you have to make a fast decision or someone else will for you. I'll have to go get me a bird or trout I guess.