opinions please

vaultkeeper

Gentlemen,

I'd appreciate any and all opinions on this knife. I would like to list it correctly and this is where the knowledge is at.

thanks

dale

post-159809-0-33140500-1454791977.jpg

post-159809-0-31799300-1454792030.jpg

post-159809-0-55654300-1454792038.jpg

post-159809-0-60206500-1454792048.jpg

Looks like the pommel is attached to the wood grips by (clocked) screws. A well made piece. Hope some here can shed more light on this one.

The number on the sheath reminds me of a partial SS number. If so I'd say more likely later time when Services started to use your SS# for your service number. The sheath is named a records search may shed more light on this one.

I talked with Golden Arrow and he wasn't able to find anything, something about 68 years. I googled the name Bernard J Auman without any luck. I tried to post a picture I have of the scabbard throat but it was too large. It has a square metal piece I assume was for a guide or drag. I thought it might be a tel-tel sign of a maker. Thanks for the remarks men.

In the Ancestry.com archives, there is a VA BIRLS death file for a Bernard Auman. Born 26 Feb 1927. Enlisted in the Navy 7 Apr 1945. Discharged 12 Jul 1946. Died 9 Jul 2006.

There is a death certificate in Franklin County, Ohio, for a Bernard James Auman with those same birth and death dates. He resided in Gahanna and has Navy service noted on the death record. On his 1942 SSN application, he called himself Bernie James.

So for a Bernard J. Auman who was in the Navy during WWII, that's likely your man. His obituary was published on page 3C of the 12 July 2006 Fort Wayne Journal Gazette and page 2L of the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel of the same date. It may have more info on his service.

He is listed in the Muster rolls for the General W.F. Hase AP-146 in late 1945 which correlates to the above posted info on a late war enlistment. His rate was S2/c