M1 Stripped to Reveal BEACH BATTALION Helmet?!

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

OD was standard the blue-blue grey were basically ships paint ans applied later

The talker/gunners helmets were blue but were specifically navy.I have observered dark and light shades of blue.Even had one that was repainted a battle ship grey.

But there is no evidence of OD below the Blue...strange!!!

But there is no evidence of OD below the Blue...strange!!!

The interior is green.

If it was blue from the starting line the inside would be blue or blue under the green...........

stealthytyler

The interior is green.

If it was blue from the starting line the inside would be blue or blue under the green...........

Oh, yeah, you are right. Good point.

stealthytyler

I recently purchased a Helmet and liner that had a liner with a red strip similar to the helmet that started this post. Here is a link, and photo>

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/254765-red-line-helmet-liner/

Interesting liner. Maybe a training instructor helmet??? I do know that the sailors didn't know what beach they were to land on until the day or hours before the invasion. They would hurry and paint their helmets using ships paint before they landed (i.e. yellow for yellow beach). I am not sure if they painted their liners. I am not sure there was a need to do so. My grandfather's liner does not have a stripe and a few photos I have of the sailors with liners on do not have stripes either.

Government Issue

A hunch, some elbow grease, patience, and a lotta faith with an excellent outcome. Nice job Tyler. How hard was it to get the paint off? Do you have any picture of the paint removal in process? Makes you wonder what's under a lot of postwar repaints...

stealthytyler

A hunch, some elbow grease, patience, and a lotta faith with an excellent outcome. Nice job Tyler. How hard was it to get the paint off? Do you have any picture of the paint removal in process? Makes you wonder what's under a lot of postwar repaints...

It was actually very easy to do. It was my first time too. Here are some photos of the helmet during the process:

post-131595-0-43880400-1454835908.jpg

post-131595-0-64736200-1454835910.jpg

post-131595-0-97547900-1454835911.jpg

post-131595-0-47972300-1454835909.jpg

stealthytyler

Here was my first test area.

NOTE: The small circle area that has been ground down to the silver shell was already there when I bought the helmet!

post-131595-0-21923400-1454836055.jpg

stealthytyler

Here is my helmet in black&white compared to the 4th BB sailors helmet during Operation Dragoon. Same contrast and same size stripe. Interesting.

post-131595-0-82343600-1454836314.jpg

You did a great job stripping this one. Looks like a great addition to any collection and a nice companion piece for your grandfather's helmet.

I haven't looked for or know of any references for Navy helmet markings in the Med. Tyler, this is a topic you've looked at quite a bit. Have you ever come across an op order regarding the stripes?

The reason I ask is the question about blue helmet vs. OD helmets. One thought that comes to mind is that even during ops in the Med, the stripes may not have been unique to Beach Bn sailors but instead they may denote Naval Personnel involved in the operations at each beach. So there might be non-beach bn naval personnel on a beach who were temporarily detached from a ship's crew. This was common in the PTO where beach personnel and boat pool personnel were drawn from ships. They may have had their own helmet (perhaps already blue) or one pulled from a stack with a stripe added.

Just ideas at this point.

Tom

stealthytyler

You did a great job stripping this one. Looks like a great addition to any collection and a nice companion piece for your grandfather's helmet.

I haven't looked for or know of any references for Navy helmet markings in the Med. Tyler, this is a topic you've looked at quite a bit. Have you ever come across an op order regarding the stripes?

The reason I ask is the question about blue helmet vs. OD helmets. One thought that comes to mind is that even during ops in the Med, the stripes may not have been unique to Beach Bn sailors but instead they may denote Naval Personnel involved in the operations at each beach. So there might be non-beach bn naval personnel on a beach who were temporarily detached from a ship's crew. This was common in the PTO where beach personnel and boat pool personnel were drawn from ships. They may have had their own helmet (perhaps already blue) or one pulled from a stack with a stripe added.

Tom

Hey Tom,

There were 9 platoon throughout 3 companies in the 4th BB. I should note that not all platoons used the stripe system. I have been speaking to a sailor from B company and he said they never painted their helmets. I have photos from him that prove this. I do know that C company used stripes as well as A company. The only mention of helmets in the pre op order for Dragoon was Navy shore personnel required to mark their helmets to identify them as Navy. No mention of how to mark their helmets though. The 4th BB used this stripe system throughout all 3 invasions. Although they almost all used stripes, each stripe was a different color for each platoon. The color was based off of the beach they were to land on.

Here are some photos of B Company sailors NOT wearing a stripe after the invasion of Salerno:

post-131595-0-21760600-1454870108.jpg

post-131595-0-32900300-1454870109.jpg

Here is a sailor from C Company not wearing a stripe on the beach during Operation Dragoon:

post-131595-0-38979300-1454870260.jpg

Here is a good example of the multiple layers of stripes from different operations:

post-131595-0-01306300-1454870481.jpg

stealthytyler

My helmet liner has the red stripe in medical tape. It was easy to remove and replace as needed.....

If I find a photo of a liner with a stripe, I will let you know. So far I have not. Is there a name in the liner? Thanks

stealthytyler

Tom

An interesting thing to note is the OD overpaint. It appears to be of late war. If this was used on a ship, wouldn't they likely paint it grey or blue again? Why OD? Maybe since the beach battalion was attached to and lived with the Army, the army repurposed it once the battalion was dismembered after Op Dragoon? Who knows...

Great job, and I love the side-by-side photos and the research you put into the whole project. Really nice.

Bill

This is impressive.....and a virtual tutorial on how to properly document something like this.

With the step-by-step photos, supporting documentation, and period photos, you've done a genuinely excellent job.

Most painted WW2 helmets scare me to death....but this one......I would gladly put in my personal collection.

If you hadn't taken the time to document the process, there would always be questions about it.

Bravo, sir.

• 4 weeks later...