MILITARY OUTSTANDING VOLUNTEER SERVICE MEDAL

BEAST

In 2003, I was awarded the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal (MOVSM) by my Air National Guard Wing. This medal recognizes those members of the military (active duty, reserve and national guard) who perform substantial volunteer service to the local community above and beyond the duties required as a member of the United States Armed Forces. Such volunteer service must be made in a sustained and direct nature towards the civilian community, must be significant in nature to produce tangible results, and must reflect favorably on the military service and the United States Department of Defense. The definition of volunteer service is left intentionally vague, allowing for a wide variety of activities and volunteer duties which would qualify a service member for the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal.

I was awarded the medal for the same thing many of you also do, trying to teach the American public about the men and women who have served this country through displays and exhibits.

Here is an edited version of my award, I have removed my name and SSN and replaced them with a series of X's.

Subject: Award of the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal (MOVSM) to XXXXXX

1. In accordance with AFI 26-2803, XXXXXX is recommended for the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal as a result of his activities in service to numerous community organizations throughout the United States regarding military history from January 1978 through November 2002.

2. XXXXX is truly deserving of this award. He has spent in excess of 1000 hours of time to develop and present military history by way of static displays, classroom instruction, living history demonstrations, publications in Fort Wayne, Chicago, Indianapolis, Atlanta and Fort Riley, Kansas. Because of his efforts, many Americans now have a fuller appreciation for the history, life, hardships and sacrifice of American service men and women, particularly the Hammelburg POW Camp. He provides an excellent example of the Air Force in the community by providing valuable, ongoing voluntary service. I request your approval of the MOVSM for XXXXXX.

Here is my medal, as you can see, I've never worn it, I just wore the ribbon. As a matter of fact, I think I have olnly had it out of the box two or three times.

post-203-1219891106.jpg

post-203-1219891111.jpg

Fred Borgmann
In 2003, I was awarded the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal (MOVSM) by my Air National Guard Wing. This medal recognizes those members of the military (active duty, reserve and national guard) who perform substantial volunteer service to the local community above and beyond the duties required as a member of the United States Armed Forces. Such volunteer service must be made in a sustained and direct nature towards the civilian community, must be significant in nature to produce tangible results, and must reflect favorably on the military service and the United States Department of Defense. The definition of volunteer service is left intentionally vague, allowing for a wide variety of activities and volunteer duties which would qualify a service member for the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal.

I was awarded the medal for the same thing many of you also do, trying to teach the American public about the men and women who have served this country through displays and exhibits.

Here is an edited version of my award, I have removed my name and SSN and replaced them with a series of X's.

Subject: Award of the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal (MOVSM) to XXXXXX

1. In accordance with AFI 26-2803, XXXXXX is recommended for the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal as a result of his activities in service to numerous community organizations throughout the United States regarding military history from January 1978 through November 2002.

2. XXXXX is truly deserving of this award. He has spent in excess of 1000 hours of time to develop and present military history by way of static displays, classroom instruction, living history demonstrations, publications in Fort Wayne, Chicago, Indianapolis, Atlanta and Fort Riley, Kansas. Because of his efforts, many Americans now have a fuller appreciation for the history, life, hardships and sacrifice of American service men and women, particularly the Hammelburg POW Camp. He provides an excellent example of the Air Force in the community by providing valuable, ongoing voluntary service. I request your approval of the MOVSM for XXXXXX.

Here is my medal, as you can see, I've never worn it, I just wore the ribbon. As a matter of fact, I think I have olnly had it out of the box two or three times.

post-203-1219891106.jpg

post-203-1219891111.jpg

Fantastic!! Official recognition of your hobby efforts. Well done.

• 1 year later...

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,

Chris / ADMIN

• 5 years later...

I submitted this award to a number of Soldiers who volunteer at the chapel.

There is no criteria regarding the amount of hours. It is up to the Command (0-5) or higher to determine.

The person needs to be enrolled in Volunteer Management Information System (VMIS). VMIS is the hardest part and doesn't always work.

Still, any leader who wants to help Soldiers with promotion points or to help them stand apart during these times of down sizing may want to consider the MOVSM.

• 2 weeks later...

Just learned that it is a service award and therefore no certificate. Just a DA 638.

You can find a certificate online but these are not authorized.

• 2 weeks later...

I was awarded mine in Korea 1998 for doing volunteer work in support of the community. Then I was back in Korea in 2005-2009 wrote up a Soldier for his volunteer community service so he could be awarded his. It is very much alive and well award!

AZ Abn