Photo

SOS 2016 - What is your expectation? Who is Going?

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#26 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 13,982 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

I honestly hope I don't buy a thing. :D 

I'll have a few Purple Hearts with me for sale, I might have a couple of uniforms (if I can fit them in!) and then some copies of my book, Blue Seas, Red Stars

MOST IMPORTANTLY though...I'll be looking to photograph any posthumous Purple Hearts that I need for my next book. Not looking to buy...just take photos of them.

In case anyone sees any around, I'm looking for posthumous Purple Hearts in the following categories:

-Navy Korean War

-Navy WW1 

-Navy Vietnam War

-Coast Guard from Korea and Vietnam 

-ANY to general/flag officers from any time period

-ANY to females from any time period

-ANY Purple Hearts awarded after Vietnam or in the interwar period (e.g. USS Cole, Stark, Liberty, any terrorist acts, any from the Gulf War, Grenada, Panama, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.)

Please keep an eye out for me if anything pops up at the show! More than happy to buy lunch/dinner as a finder's fee! :D 

Oh, forgot to add...I am also looking for fake or questionable posthumous Purple Hearts to photograph!

#27 warpath

warpath

• Members
    • Member ID: 3,653
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:49 PM

Just an idea for the SOS, but to put Forum names with faces (and REAL Names for a change)  there should be some sort of Forum ID directory, US Forum Table Card, Balloon Animals, something to link Forum folks here to each other there. Ed

#28 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,528 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

Dave's gonna be there! Cool!

#29 vzemke

vzemke
  • Members
    • Member ID: 781
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:09 PM

Any indicators of whether or not this year will be German-centric or US-centric? I'm hoping for the latter. Last year's show was really eye opening and I'm hoping to find cool Quartermaster goodies. Hopefully this year the universal response to that will not be, "why do you collect that?!"

There always seems to be a lot of Nazi stuff, but I think this show is big enough that its not focused on any one particular area.  Also, some of my best finds have been on the table of dealers who looked to be "German-centric", and I don't collect German stuff.  You just never know what will turn up.  

I'll be combing the aisles looking for US Army patch "gems" from Thursday through Saturday afternoon.  I will also have a few riker mounts of harder to find patches, insignia, and a few medal groups on a friends table.  

#30 vintageproductions

vintageproductions

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 492
  • 16,144 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

Just an idea for the SOS, but to put Forum names with faces (and REAL Names for a change)  there should be some sort of Forum ID directory, US Forum Table Card, Balloon Animals, something to link Forum folks here to each other there. Ed

Ed-We have USMF advertising postcards, if anyone wants any for their tables.

In the past there has been a USMF table in my block of tables, but won't be doing that this year.

#31 warpath

warpath

• Members
    • Member ID: 3,653
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:59 PM

Thanks, I'll be happy to get a card for my table, then y'all can stop by and say hello. Ed

#32 irish

irish
  • Members
    • Member ID: 758
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

There always seems to be a lot of Nazi stuff, but I think this show is big enough that its not focused on any one particular area.  Also, some of my best finds have been on the table of dealers who looked to be "German-centric", and I don't collect German stuff.  You just never know what will turn up.  

I'll be combing the aisles looking for US Army patch "gems" from Thursday through Saturday afternoon.  I will also have a few riker mounts of harder to find patches, insignia, and a few medal groups on a friends table.  

Vance, am still interest in 1 Commando if you have tired of it yet.
Jack

#33 4th Miss Cav

4th Miss Cav
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,007
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

This will be my first year.  About 10 years ago I went to the Chicago Toy Soldier Show.  A lot of the guys there would open up their rooms at the host hotel and sell items out of them.  Is this done in Louisville?  I found some great pieces that way.  Looking for  WWI Division marked helmets and uniforms

#34 knd643

knd643
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,203
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:29 AM

My 3rd time going. I'll be going with a couple of my friends. I'll be looking for Pre WW2/WW2 USMC items. If anyone has any Iceland marine items or Pre WW2/WW2 Leatherneck magazines that their bringing to sell let me know. 

Edited by knd643, 05 February 2016 - 12:29 AM.

#35 Shenkursk

Shenkursk

MODERATOR / SPONSOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 183
  • 980 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:27 AM

Any indicators of whether or not this year will be German-centric or US-centric?

By decree, the 2016 SOS will be 38% Third Reich, 12% Imperial German, 29% U.S. (all eras), 4% ww2 Japanese, 12% other nations, 4% reference materials, and 1% miscellaneous BS. This is official policy, and will be strictly enforced. Plan your tables accordingly. Failure to comply will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, contingent on mitigating considerations, specifically the degree of balance achieved when your island or row is considered as a whole.

#36 Ronnie

Ronnie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,752
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:02 AM

I kinda lost count but I think this is my 19th year in a row.
I guess you could say that I really like the OVMS and the SOS!
Ronnie

#37 irish

irish
  • Members
    • Member ID: 758
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:33 AM

By decree, the 2016 SOS will be 38% Third Reich, 12% Imperial German, 29% U.S. (all eras), 4% ww2 Japanese, 12% other nations, 4% reference materials, and 1% miscellaneous BS. This is official policy, and will be strictly enforced. Plan your tables accordingly. Failure to comply will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, contingent on mitigating considerations, specifically the degree of balance achieved when your island or row is considered as a whole.

Now that is funny, you have a highly developed sense of humor.

#38 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,335 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:28 AM

I don't have much Third Reich material, but I am full of BS. Would it be possible to adjust the percentages for the 2017 show? I would like to unload some of my BS next year!

#39 zotig111

zotig111
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,230
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:42 AM

I expect to be tired, broke, and smell like a musty canvas tent by Sunday morning. In order to make sgtdorango's trip enjoyable I am not showering or using deodorant from Tuesday night's departure until we arrive home Sunday 0700. Just a little payback for the "I can't believe I missed out on that 11th AB helmet" stories!!!!

In all reality I am looking forward to my number 13 show. At a minimum I will be bringing:

WWII - VN USMC foot locker grouping

WWII USMC 2nd pattern para smock

WWII Army camo set (pants and shirt) with depot repairs

WWII helmets

A named China Marine medal grouping

WWII patches

See you all there.

#40 pathfinder505

pathfinder505
  • Members
    • Member ID: 197
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:44 AM

The patches worn by the "percentage police" are Ultra Rare!!

Edited by pathfinder505, 05 February 2016 - 06:45 AM.

#41 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 15,257 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:46 AM

I don't have much Third Reich material, but I am full of BS. Would it be possible to adjust the percentages for the 2017 show? I would like to unload some of my BS next year!

I think Jeff may have had his numbers wrong Erick, there is much more than 2% BS and it is at nearly every table. so, I don't think you'll be bringing anything to the show that others are not already familiar with on a personal basis. :)  

#42 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,257 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:48 AM

...In order to make sgtdorango's trip enjoyable I am not showering or using deodorant from Tuesday night's departure until we arrive home Sunday 0700.

I am not going to come to your table unless you smell good.

#43 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,678 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:57 AM

usmfcapnametag.jpg

#44 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,335 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:25 AM

I expect to be tired, broke, and smell like a musty canvas tent by Sunday morning. In order to make sgtdorango's trip enjoyable I am not showering or using deodorant from Tuesday night's departure until we arrive home Sunday 0700. Just a little payback for the "I can't believe I missed out on that 11th AB helmet" stories!!!!

In all reality I am looking forward to my number 13 show. At a minimum I will be bringing:
WWII - VN USMC foot locker grouping
WWII USMC 2nd pattern para smock
WWII Army camo set (pants and shirt) with depot repairs
WWII helmets
A named China Marine medal grouping
WWII patches

See you all there.

I thought "Musty Canvas Tent" was a fragrance offered by Calvin Klein.

#45 zotig111

zotig111
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,230
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:29 AM

I thought "Musty Canvas Tent" was a fragrance offered by Calvin Klein.

It is in the bottle right next to the Aqua Velva... Drives field gear collectors wild!

Upon further review, I will be showering... :D

Edited by zotig111, 05 February 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#46 tarbridge

tarbridge

CHIEF MODERATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 123
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:16 AM

I have 3 tables and will try to fill them with militaria. ..medals...wings...groups..a little of all.
Here is a sample...not to include Riker mounts and boxes of stuff...

rps20160205_101048.jpg rps20160205_101123.jpg rps20160205_101145.jpg rps20160205_111453.jpg rps20160205_101217.jpg

#47 smwinter207

smwinter207
  • Members
    • Member ID: 20,483
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

How much for that vintage cheese sandwich?

#48 tarbridge

tarbridge

CHIEF MODERATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 123
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:28 AM

I have been looking for that sandwich everywhere. ..

#49 gomorgan

gomorgan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75,820
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:36 AM

What time is lunch Robert, I'll be by to look over your patches, I always end up buying a coupe from you.  We will post USMF signs with our names on our tables again this year.

#50 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,257 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:23 AM

You will find a great many members, like myself, wearing the badge that Bob H. posted above. While having this on has helped a few times in the past to help ID other members, I find that most are so mesmerized by all the militaria that focusing on a name tag rates low on the list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users