Photo

SOS 2016 - What is your expectation? Who is Going?

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#226 Jeeperz83

Jeeperz83
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,732
  • 935 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:17 PM

Great show so far. Saw some great 'Nam items down at Vintage Productions and Jason Hardy's tables. Ended up spending most of my funds some on some TR items I couldn't pass on but saw plenty of great US groups.

Nice to also finally meet Justin in person!

My feet are really, really sore..

Edited by Jeeperz83, 19 February 2016 - 06:17 PM.

#227 Mr.Jerry

Mr.Jerry

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 119
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:04 PM

It was great to meet so many of the forum members!  It was great to see so many people stop by the green bay packers helmet and say "hi".

There is some really great stuff here, we will try and get some pics tomorrow to share here.

#228 2ndInf.Div.

2ndInf.Div.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 80,799
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:23 PM

Back from the show. It was great meeting some of the members from here on the forum! Hope you all had (are having) a great time!

#229 pathfinder505

pathfinder505
  • Members
    • Member ID: 197
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:44 PM

It was great to meet so many of the forum members!  It was great to see so many people stop by the green bay packers helmet and say "hi".
There is some really great stuff here, we will try and get some pics tomorrow to share here.

I didn't realize who you were until you mentioned the Green Bay packers helmet. That was an attention grabber

#230 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 12,517 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:06 PM

I didn't find any $25 Doolittle Raider DFCs, (I looked) but I did find 5 POW groups (3 with diaries) and a nice VT-14 DFC/AM group for Leyte Gulf.

I've had a good time talking to a number of Forum members, but there are many I have missed. I plan on walking around tomorrow!

Kurt

#231 carnut63

carnut63
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,259
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:40 PM

I will be around also, I just can't seem to pull myself away!

#232 Piper Cub

Piper Cub
  • Members
    • Member ID: 158,728
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:36 PM

Looks like a great time, wish I was able to make it! Maybe in a few years.

#233 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:49 AM

I picked up a few nice finds. 63rd div. Officer that was probably a company CO and was awarded the Bronze Star, 8th af 4 pocket that turned out to belong to the lead plane's radio operator in a b-24 called "tailwind". Has a couple of cool British-made touches, and I found a picture of the man on the American Air Museum's website most likely in the exact uniform I bought. I met a few folks, but I definitely missed many more.

#234 Mr.Jerry

Mr.Jerry

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 119
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:51 AM

Although we did experience a bit of drama with one of my table helpers getting a high ended neck order stolen (it had been awarded to a US guy)  but then through some intense collector/dealer communication a pattern of several  foreign high ended awards that went missing became apparent, and some quick action by a few the dealers the individual was identified and located at the hotel where the missing medals were recovered without incident!

In the spirit of good will, I will have a  "free gift" for any forum members that stop by today and say hi!

#235 Bob Carter

Bob Carter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 329
  • 548 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:37 AM

Jerry, do you have the name of the thief so we can identify him in the future ? 

#236 ROY222

ROY222
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,808
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:38 AM

I didn't find any $25 Doolittle Raider DFCs, (I looked) but I did find 5 POW groups (3 with diaries) and a nice VT-14 DFC/AM group for Leyte Gulf.

I've had a good time talking to a number of Forum members, but there are many I have missed. I plan on walking around tomorrow!

Kurt

There is a Doolittle Raider at the show as a guest.

Stop by and ask him about the medals ceremony when the DFC's were issued.

It may be an amazing conversation.

#237 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 15,271 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:20 AM

There is a Doolittle Raider at the show as a guest.

Stop by and ask him about the medals ceremony when the DFC's were issued.

It may be an amazing conversation.

My son and I had lunch with Richard Cole yesterday. He had an open spot at the table so we got to spend time talking with him and enjoying a pulled pork sandwich.  :)

#238 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:14 AM

I think my favorite part of the show was meeting Mr. Mapou. I read up on him when I found out he'd be there, and he said that students at a school he spoke at didn't know about Pearl Harbor. I asked my students the whole day before I left and a resounding number not only knew about it, but were indignant that kids in the big city to our West were so clueless. I passed a card around and had a little under 200 of them sign it to present to him. They gave me his DVD for free, but I made them take my money to get him back to Pearl.

#239 KVSkelton

KVSkelton
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,504
  • 751 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:27 AM

My son and I had lunch with Richard Cole yesterday. He had an open spot at the table so we got to spend time talking with him and enjoying a pulled pork sandwich.  :)

Fantastic! Met Mr Cole a couple years ago at the show. It was an honor. Did anyone else talk to the older gentleman who was with Milt Mapou yesterday? Turned out he had served with the MACV-SOG with Recon Team Iowa. He saw some of the SOG autographs I had on a helmet and asked me about them. That was unexpected and I was honored to have him also sign my helmet.

Had a great time yesterday during my one day force march. Met several forum members for the first time and it was always great to see the usual rogues gallery of accomplices!

Added a great, front seam, fixed bail M1 to my collection, along with a few other items. Missed out on a grouping I decided to "think" about (against the advice I usually give) that was gone twenty minutes later. I usually do that once per show.

Overall a great show! Y'all have fun today.

#240 ADAM.12TN

ADAM.12TN
  • Members
    • Member ID: 114,791
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:28 AM

I wish I had a personal shopper to go in my place. Half of the fun for me is the thrill of discovery. Maybe next year..

#241 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

KV, what color was your helmet that you were having signed? I think I was right next to you.

#242 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 13,982 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:34 AM

Let's see...highlights for me...

First, meeting with and spending time with some GREAT people, and many from the forum (including many I had never met before!!!)

Second, needling Bugme about helmet collecting (is there anything better than that???) :D ;)

Third, getting a gorgeous USCG good conduct medal grouping from a fellow forum member.

Fourth, photographing some really superb posthumous Purple Heart groups for my book.

Finally, adding one of those groups to my collection! I teared up while I was photographing it and...well...ended up with it. An amazing group...

What a great show!!!

#243 KVSkelton

KVSkelton
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,504
  • 751 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:43 AM

KV, what color was your helmet that you were having signed? I think I was right next to you.

Garand, I had a WW2 M1 being signed (already had over a dozen signatures on it), though I had USN headgear for Mr Mapou to sign. If the guy you were beside had long hair and a beard, it was me! I don't really blend into the crowd. Hate it if we were that close and didn't know it!

Edited by KVSkelton, 20 February 2016 - 11:44 AM.

#244 Bellumbill

Bellumbill
  • Members
    • Member ID: 661
  • 814 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:02 PM

Let's see...highlights for me...

First, meeting with and spending time with some GREAT people, and many from the forum (including many I had never met before!!!)

Second, needling Bugme about helmet collecting (is there anything better than that???) :D ;)

Third, getting a gorgeous USCG good conduct medal grouping from a fellow forum member.

Fourth, photographing some really superb posthumous Purple Heart groups for my book.

Finally, adding one of those groups to my collection! I teared up while I was photographing it and...well...ended up with it. An amazing group...

What a great show!!!

Dave -

Talk about a tease, please post pics of the group!    :)  

#245 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:32 PM

Not sure man, I just remember an m1 that was sort of a funny green like WWII navy aviation greens... Whoever it was, I think, was with Dick Cole... I had the hbt hat and M43 with tech sergeant ranks (I don't wear rank EVER usually, but it just showed up and was used in the filming of Fatal Crossroads about Malmedy).

Dave, (and KV) sorry I missed you, I had one heck of a headache, so I just powered through to try to make some finds...

Did you see the USS Indianapolis PH??

#246 tarbridge

tarbridge

CHIEF MODERATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 123
  • 15,110 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:30 PM

On the road home.I can't abide a dirty truck and found a car wash.GPS says 7 hours and 48 minutes drive time to the house.That means Hot coffee and Truck Stop Hot Dogs.
The Show of Shows lives up to its name again.I bought lots of good medals and groups...then sold lots of good militaria. ..medals ....wings...patches...

Edited by tarbridge, 20 February 2016 - 03:12 PM.

#247 vzemke

vzemke
  • Members
    • Member ID: 781
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:10 PM

Great show. I'm fairly certain this is my last opportunity to attend for the next few years, so I made sure to do it right. Bought and sold a bunch of great patches. Got to talk with lot of friends, both new and old. What a blast!

Edited by vzemke, 20 February 2016 - 03:14 PM.

#248 Major Z

Major Z
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,340
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:50 PM

Great show. I'm fairly certain this is my last opportunity to attend for the next few years, so I made sure to do it right. Bought and sold a bunch of great patches. Got to talk with lot of friends, both new and old. What a blast!

It was a great show, and I think Major Z and VZEMKE have reconciled our last name debacle. Thanks for a fun show everyone!

#249 Chris Liontas

Chris Liontas
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,969
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:13 PM

Anyone have any idea who was selling this or what the price was??

Wish I could have made it this year. 

#250 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 13,982 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

Not sure man, I just remember an m1 that was sort of a funny green like WWII navy aviation greens... Whoever it was, I think, was with Dick Cole... I had the hbt hat and M43 with tech sergeant ranks (I don't wear rank EVER usually, but it just showed up and was used in the filming of Fatal Crossroads about Malmedy).

Dave, (and KV) sorry I missed you, I had one heck of a headache, so I just powered through to try to make some finds...

Did you see the USS Indianapolis PH??

And sorry I missed you as well!

The new owner of that group you mention let me photograph it for the book. Amazingly spectacular is one way to put it. RIP DCA...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users