Aviator Kit Bag

Kate

Hi everyone,

I've had this aviator kit bag for many years now and was wondering whether any of you could shed some light on it?

Can anyone tell me what kind of kit bag it is (what would carried in it etc.). Also, would anyone have an idea of how I could try to find out who its owner was?

Any info and help are greatly appreciated.

Best,

Kate

post-161453-0-39540200-1454438990.jpg

post-161453-0-48467700-1454439036.jpg

Interesting bag and one thing that I am curious/suspicious about is that the nomenclature in the upper left seems to be hand written on the bag and it looks like the same printing as the man's name..

Someone's attempt to stencil the nomenclature..????

US made and issued kit bags had the nomenclature stenciled in black on the lower right..

Perhaps this was a private purchase bag and he wanted it to look like an issue item...

Leigh

I did a very quick search on FOLD.3 for John McGuire... Over 11,000 hits. There were some in the Army Air Forces section under 307th Bomb Group (13th Air Force) and the 497th and 500th Bomb Groups (Both Pacific area groups).. Did not find any related to the 8th Air Force as the drawing on bag indicated.. If there was any type of serial number or anything else, it may assist in the search process.

Leigh

doinworkinvans

Leigh...you spotted the same suspicion as I had...the nomenclature should be printed, not painted.

The following is what it should look like....

That being said - as Leigh stated...could be one that a soldier made to look like a kit bag, but highly doubtful.

Maybe someone can confirm the name with the 8th AAF for you.

kitbag.JPG

The bag does look a lot smaller than the "AN6505-1"

I would agree with the previous members thoughts on it

LB

Thanks for your replies, guys!

There is nothing else written/printed on the bag, nothing came with it.

It feels like oiled canvas and smells like, well, like military stuff (armoury smell).

I got it in Italy many years ago, Apennin area, along with handful of archaeological finds of the period (i.e. WW2); sadly I was too young to remember much about it; didn't ask about the provenance of the bag either.

It's defintely smaller than the one in the picture (about 30cm height).

...puzzled now :mellow:

Just for reference the AN6505-1 measures 22 1/2 inches in length 18 3/4 ibches in height and 13 inches in width

still digging for info on that Drwg Number

Just for reference the AN6505-1 measures 22 1/2 inches in length 18 3/4 ibches in height and 13 inches in width

still digging for info on that Drwg Number

I appreciate your help and digging, thanks!

This one is about 22 1/2inches in length, 11.8 inches in height and 7.9 inches in width.

*edit*

The only other piece of writing I found is on the zip, where it says "MADE IN USA TALON"

The following suggests the zip is mid 1930s: http://www.vintagehaberdashers.com/2014/10/26/a-guide-to-dating-talon-zippers/

That DWG number doesnt tally up with other DWG numbers i have seen on other USAAF items , the other numbers on the bottom line 6 -6-44 ,could be somebody has tried to add in the date of D-Day ??

If you like the bag ,thats all that matters :)

Sorry i couldnt help any further

LB

That DWG number doesnt tally up with other DWG numbers i have seen on other USAAF items , the other numbers on the bottom line 6 -6-44 ,could be somebody has tried to add in the date of D-Day ??

If you like the bag ,thats all that matters :)

Sorry i couldnt help any further

LB

Thanks for your effort, LB!

What is a DWG number?

I was wondering about the number/date, too, thought it was a strange coincidence.

Well, considering the zip model, the period at least seems to fit so I assume it was during the war it *somehow* got to Italy. Still puzzled tho.