EGA COLLAR DISC DIE

Alec

These dies are part of a four die set. They are the male dies. The female dies are the indented dies (or recessed, sometimes called intaglio) which are missing from set. The male dies are put on a ram and the female dies are put on a bolster. The metal to be formed is put between them. When the ram strikes the metal it is pushed into the bolster and creates a metal stamping on both sides of the metal surface. Before the 1950s this was the most common method of creating emblems, buttons, and other military accoutrements.

Schnicklfritz

The EGA is properly oriented on the die. So I would assume that this would not be used to make a collar disc since the EGA would be backwards once it was stamped. It couldn't be the right side disc die as the continents would be oriented wrong also for a right side disc. Die to make the mold as mentioned???

Alec,

These are the hand carved master hubs, engraved on hardened tool steel and used to make the die. Much rarer than the dies I would think. The process of using the hub to make a die, I think is called "hobbing". This one looks to be multi-piece, with the background field being the textured piece and the EGA used after the textured piece to stamp the relief. The dies can wear out and break, but as long as you have the master, you can make more. This is of a known original version of the WW1 EGA collar disc.

Mike