Field Station Berlin

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

I have a dress green uniform from a Staff Sergeant who was in the Berlin Brigade assigned to the Field Station on Teufelsberg. The uniform is missing the collar disks and I'm wondering what branch this soldier would be.

Also it's missing one of the DUIs so let me know if you see on for sale the motto is "on watch"

I know there are a couple of members really knowledgeable on the Berlin Brigade from all the time periods it was active, ehrentitle for one, and Rakkasan187. PM them and have them look in.

I think you have two options for the collar brass. FSB was primarily staffed by signal folks and MI folks.. FSB was a monitoring site for radio traffic from the Soviets and East Germans, thus a lot of signal equipment.

I would go with signal corps collar brass..

Would like to see the uniform as it is now.. There may be a few more indicators that could skew my opinion either Signal or MI direction..

Had the chance to go only once up to FSB while stationed in Berlin.. The view from the top was impressive

Leigh

SergeantMajorGray

The uniform is my second Berlin uniform first one I think I got from you to have the gold knot on the GCM despite only havin 2 or 3 service stripes.

I will have to look, but there were a few units in Berlin that were awarded the ASUA Army Superior Unit Award, which is on the uniform. I know the MP's, Engineers, Field Artillery, Medical and Dental units as well as the 502nd were awarded the ASUA at various times. I did not see anything specifically listed for Field Station Berlin... The Army of Occupation ribbon is backwards.. Should be black then red..

Will continue to search.. The name tag may also help in researching...

Leigh

More than likely his regimental affiliation, and that could very well be Signal Corps or Military Intelligence Corps..

Is there a number on the NCO Professional Development Ribbon?? (Middle Ribbon, bottom row).. Looks like a device in the center. It should be a numeral 2 which would indicate graduation from BNCOC (Basic Non-commissioned Officer Course) PLDC which was the Primary course the ribbon with no numeral was awarded...

Leigh

There was a device as theres a hole but it's gone.

OK..

Based on the rank it should be a numeral 2 device..

I may have a few in my box of attachments.. Will check and send you one if I have an extra..

Leigh

SergeantMajorGray

post-104619-0-33669600-1454711922.jpg

In a few days the uniform will be 80% restored just need 1 more of this DUI that I can't find anywhere. And I need to identify what went above the unit award.

If you are going with signal collar brass, I would go with the signal corps regimental crest..That is what I guess is above the unit award

Leigh

Go to www.milfordarmynavy.com. They have a pair for sale for $11.05. Not a bad price. You will be buying a pair. Do a search under Field Station Berlin you will see them

Leigh

Unlike Distinctive Unit Insignia (DUI), the Signal Corps Regimental Distinctive Insignia (RDI) is usually sold as a single piece. Only one is worn.

SergeantMajorGray

He was talking about the Field Stations DUI which I only need one of. I just bought the Signal crest. Problem is that website wants to chare $9 shipping for two pins which is absurd.

He was talking about the Field Stations DUI which I only need one of. I just bought the Signal crest. Problem is that website wants to chare $9 shipping for two pins which is absurd.

You'll need one for the overseas cap.

SergeantMajorGray

True but I didn't plan on going that far in the restoration anytI'm soon. If the uniform had came with a cap I would go for it. The shipping is the problem on the DUIs I don't mind having 2.

Looking good.. You may also try to contact Jim McDuff with K&M Collectibles.. Jim has thousands of unit crests, he may also have FSB.

One other thing... Reverse the Army Occupation Ribbon, it should be black then red (Black being closest to the inner part of the uniform)...

Leigh

One other thing... Reverse the Army Occupation Ribbon, it should be black then red (Black being closest to the inner part of the uniform)...

Leigh

If that's the original ribbon rack, then I would leave it alone. If SSG Fetterman wore it that way, then it should stay that way.

If that's the original ribbon rack, then I would leave it alone. If SSG Fetterman wore it that way, then it should stay that way.

I disagree.. if you were stationed in Berlin (as I was) you knew how to wear your occupation ribbon, it was issued in the same box as the medal and he being a Non-Commissioned Officer he was expected to know the right way. The uniform is already being reconstructed with the addition of the branch of service insignia and the addition of the missing unit crest as well as the addition of the missing numeral device in the NCOPD ribbon which I provided, so if it were my uniform I would reverse the ribbon.. but regardless of what we think it is up to the owner to decide..

I was just pointing out that if the owner was not familiar with the proper placement of the ribbon then they could place it on the uniform properly..

Appreciate your thoughts and comments..

Leigh