2nd Rangers recollection-Pointe du Hoc -6 June 1989

teufelhund

Hello there over the pound.

I currently sorting out some pictures taken during my several stays in Normandy during the last 45 years ( June commémorations & Hols)

1zwey2u.jpg

I therefore acquired a small device in order to convert my dias slices into digitals pics that I am now able to display on my PC and to get rid of the big screen and the lens & lamp old projector.

You will find hereunder some pictures taken precisely on June 6th 1989 at the Pointe du Hoc, where the 2nd Rangers vets celebrating their 45th landing anniversary

You probably will recognize MM Eikner, Lisko, Lomell & Salomon, Lapers and others;

2h3bqbq.jpg

Lt Ted LAPERS

1zwey2u.jpg

2dbntpi.jpg

dcu25j.jpg

Government Issue

Great pictures Teufel. What an experience to have had, to be there with these men on that date. Sadly almost every Ranger in the photos is now gone. Ruggiero is still around. Seeing many familiar faces makes you realize how many we've lost in the last few years. It's great to see them young and together. Reminds me of happier times.

The photo of the two in front of casemate #4 on Pointe du Hoc--were they from D CO 2ND BN? From the stories I've been told, D CO was known in the 2ND for the corcorans on the 6th of June.

Hello,

Great photos and souvenir !I recognize some of the guys ....

I do not find Salomon in these photo !?

Do you have a caption for the wartime one taken in front of the PDH casemate ?

RLTW

M Salomon appears on another pic I toke on June 6th 1979, he is therefore not on the above pic..; sorry for the mistake.

As far as the wartime caption is concerned... I am sorry to have no detail to provide about it.

This picture came from a scrapbook of a GI who probably who came later on the spot. I do not remember where it came from.

Is this picture taken by Warden F Lowell, 165th Signal Photo Cy... maybe but I am not sure about that.

T

Johan Willaert

I took this picture during the Ranger Veterans banquet in Grandcamp in June 1999.... Must have been the last major gathering of Ranger vets in Normandy...

Many of the men on these pictures have passed away since...

post-92-0-85831100-1454854992.jpg

Government Issue

Another great photo Johan. Sure looks like everyone had a great time, and I'm sure there were some great stories to hear.

Thanks for sharing. I'd like to visit Normandy one day. I contribute every year to an organization that sends school children there during the school year.

Thank you for your reply Teufelhund.

Concerning the 1999 photo , I think the only surviving one of that photo is Ray Tollefson 2/A.

RLTW

Government Issue

Again thank you for the pictures Teufel. I am humbled seeing Pfc. Fruhling in that photograph. I just was finding information on him this week and learned of how he died. It was truly heartbreaking. As his comrades were with Reagan on the Pointe on June 6th 1984 healing war torn bodies and minds, Pfc. Robert A Fruhling ended a war that he had been fighting for 40 years in his home in West Palm Beach, FL. Forty years to the day that would forever change him, he took his own life. He was a member of D CO 2nd Ranger Bn and had fought from Normandy through the fall of the Reich.

He was a great friend to many of the men in D company and was known to take part in Ruggiero's skits on regular occasions.

Larry Selman later painted Pfc. Robert Fruhling, Pfc. Leonard Rubin, and 1st Sgt. Len Lomell reaching the top at Pointe du Hoc on D-Day.

Len reached the top out of breath and heard Fruhling yelling for help. He was carrying the radio and couldn't climb anymore due to sheer exhaustion. Lomell said he couldn't as he was tired to come to his aid and luckily saw their BAR man Rubin close by. He called him over to help Fruhling and Rubin helped hoist Fruhling up the side of the cliff face.

post-8235-0-07208100-1455044114.jpg

post-8235-0-10969700-1455044129.jpg

Robert A. Fruhling March 6, 1921 - June 6, 1984

Hello GI

We met Robert Fruhling at the "Pointe" ( correct spelling) at the "Pointe" as early as 1970-1975 ( I dont remember precisely de date).

My friend's parents lived then in a house siruated on " Chemin des Rangers" which is the old trail leading then to the "Pointe" which at the time was still left undergrowth as it was in 1945.

They were the tenants of a small souvenirs and snacks & postcards shop situated on the former car park (now disapeared) and it was there that we met Robert Fruhling who explained us that it was the first time that he cames back to Europe since 1945 and that he is the real person sitting against the concrete block of Rudder's CP East of the Point.

He was the radioman of the E Cy, was wounded on june 6th and later evacuated to UK on board of an LCA,

We never hear about him since that time.

I have some pics I toke on June 6th 1974...on the " pointe" ( Gl Bradley attendee ) but I have to scan them later on.

Best regards from Belgium

T

Lt Eikner and Sgt Lomell June 5 1979

2akihld.jpg

Unknown Ranger same place same date.

245zm84.jpg

Unknown ( any info welcomed)

lfwn7.jpg

Gl Omar Bradley

2ij235e.jpg

general vieuw on the german O.P

2nr3uxy.jpg

166f7d0.jpg

Hello ,

Teufelhund, In the photo with Eikner June 5 th 1979 , the other one is not Lomell !

Concerning the Bob Fruhling identification , are you speaking of the one seated on the left against the concrete and facing camera ?

RLTW

Hello RLTW

You are right, the other person is not Lomell, but he also appears on the 1984 picture ( central caracter) on the right of Ted Lapers.

Please find hereunder another picture taken that day sometime earlier, one can identify:

First row kneeling from R to L

Mr. Lisko checkered suit, Mr Lomell ( Blazer jacket) the unknown person I confused with Lomell and a 4th unidentified person.

Second row standing L to R:

M, Ruggiero ( maybe) M Eikner (white cap) 2 unidentified, Mr Salomon ( White hear, leaning head), another unidentified.

wwf3x4.jpg

Yes, Bob Frueling is suposedly the person facing the camera, seating against the concrete block ( wristwatch on left hand).

Regards

Teufelhund