Michigan Sheriff Ordered to Return M1 Bayonets to US Govt.

Charlie Flick

The one thing that jumps out at me is that the NY Times is the ONLY news media reporting this. I can find NOTHING ELSE on the internet to support this article. How do we know the truth when only ONE news media is reporting this story?

The one thing that I did find was that in 2014, Obama ordered a review of the program because of waste, abuse, and fraud. However, AFTER the review was completed, Obama ultimately decided to keep the program.

Until other news media report this story, treat this article with a grain of salt.

Cat:

It is old news, that's why. The initial report came out in Detroit Free Press, I believe in very early December 2015 (http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/12/02/federal-military-surplus-return/76605640/)

It was in response to the sheriff not wanting to give up his M113 in light of the San Bernandino shooting. The Presidential order was made, I think, in April 2015. I have been following it mildly, as it pertains to MRAPs that were distributed to several civil authorities for $1 each. The well-documented deployment of an MRAP in Ferguson started an outcry to which the Federal government responded by pulling back SOME material (fully tracked vehicles, bayonets, and some automatic weapons in particular).

The New York Times story has a direct link to the Sheriff, I think, which probably accounts for it getting press at this point. I believe his daughter is a staff editor for the New York Times.

FWIW,

JAG

I have read through this post and the comments on what LEOs should have or not.

As one who just retired after almost 28 years; they need any and as much damn equipment to get the job done so they and others can go home every night of the week.

Mark

And that would fall under the less lethal grenade launcher for riot control. They state they will still be giving them riot gear.

...Kat

I don't know what a "less lethal" grenade launcher is. Lethality is a result of the round used and manner employed, not the weapon itself

I don't know what a "less lethal" grenade launcher is. Lethality is a result of the round used and manner employed, not the weapon itself

"Less lethal grenade launcher" is another name for "riot gun".

And collectors! If that short model 97 has a flaming bomb (sans handguard and bayonet lug), it's a real deal riot gun that probably guarded a war plant at some point.

I have read through this post and the comments on what LEOs should have or not.

As one who just retired after almost 28 years; they need any and as much damn equipment to get the job done so they and others can go home every night of the week.

Mark

amen and ALL our support as citizens.

No one is disputing the fact that local law enforcement officers need to be able to protect themselves.

However, there is some equipment in the military that is better suited for the battle field than for the streets of the US.

when i saw that thread title, i had to look. chrome M1 bayonets. for cutting seat belts. that's pretty cool. i never even carried a regular bayonet in the MP's. our shotguns had bayonet lugs, but i never put one on. i support cops having just about anything they need, but the idea of one of them carrying a full size bayonet on their duty belt does make me chuckle. thanks for that. i understand the concerns voiced about the militarization of some police depts, but if one of the cops wants to actually carry a full size bayonet every day, i wouldn't be all that worried about it being misused. i might be concerned about his tactical approach.

No one is disputing the fact that local law enforcement officers need to be able to protect themselves.

However, there is some equipment in the military that is better suited for the battle field than for the streets of the US.

Bingo !

W

CNY Militaria

Bingo !

W

Still awaiting clarification on your previous post to this thread.

I'll also add this very true statement that another LEO mentioned to me regarding LE work and the need for equipment....

"... if you haven't been there I can't explain it to you and if you have been there there's no need for me to explain it".

Bottom line is that no cop starts a shift with the intent to be viewed as an occupying force. But if you want Andy Griffith to respond to your house when you need LE the most, then there are places with that service.

My uncle retired from the Milwaukee police dept.a few years ago,he worked Vise. I asked him if he ever felt the need to shoot someone and he said no. He raised his fist and said,"this is all I ever needed". You would have to meet him to get the whole picture.

Bottom line is that no cop starts a shift with the intent to be viewed as an occupying force. But if you want Andy Griffith to respond to your house when you need LE the most, then there are places with that service.

The article mentioned in the first post states that tracked vehicles are what is being recalled:

“The Pentagon said local agencies that had been ordered to return tracked armored vehicles like the M-113 would get priority in receiving similar vehicles, including Humvees and MRAPs, which can withstand roadside bombs.”

So if the agencies are getting Humvees and MRAPs which can withstand roadside bombs to replace the M-113, what else is it that you want?

CNY Militaria

Kat, My response was not addressed at you, but rather Wharfmaster at the idea that cops should only have revolvers and shotguns. (See previous comment on page one).

As a Law Enforcement Officer, I would love to hear your rationale on your first statement. Do enlighten me...

If a local Cop can't handle a situation with a 357 Mag revolver with two extra speedloaders and a 12 Ga pump gun full of OO buck,

it's probably time to call in the highly trained SWAT Team and / or the National Guard with automatic weapons.

I live out West where most law abiding, salt of the earth people are well armed. Our town has no law enforcement and we like it that way.

The Sheriff and State Police are miles away.

It would appear we live in different worlds.

Oh yes, I'm a retired First Responder that worked with Federal, State and Local Response Agencies for years.

W

If a local Cop can't handle a situation with a 357 Mag revolver with two extra speedloaders and a 12 Ga pump gun full of OO buck,

it's probably time to call in the highly trained SWAT Team and / or the National Guard with automatic weapons.

I live out West where most law abiding, salt of the earth people are well armed. Our town has no law enforcement and we like it that way.

The Sheriff and State Police are miles away.

It would appear we live in different worlds.

Oh yes, I'm a retired First Responder that worked with Federal, State and Local Response Agencies for years.

W

Wharfmaster,

If only the bad guys and gals; as there are plenty of them as well that would drop you where you stand, only played as fair as the mindset you set forth but they dont. You are right and I respect your position of being from "different worlds".

But the days of agencies using wheel guns as a primary and shotguns as a secondary are pretty much long gone. Your use of the analogy of a .357 and shotgun being enough doesn't hold water. 18 rounds (after using two speed loaders) is only 2 more rounds than my Glock 22 (15 +1 in the pipe). Plus the other 2 mags I carried for a total of 46 rounds. I bet ya I can get a mag or more off and on target before 18 rounds through a wheel gun. Shotguns have their place but not beyond about 30 yrds (w/modified wad). Thats not going to do much good against someone with a long gun thus the reason that agencies have gone to such that and the ability to defeat the body armor that bad guns/gals are wearing now days.

When its all said and done it just a damn shame that we have to live in such a world but that's just the way it is. Unless you live in the middle of no where.

My 2 cents

Mark

A few days ago the city police responded to a homeless man with a shopping cart ,pushing it down the road here in Eau Claire. Three officers approached him and the complaint states he pulled a knife. They tried a electric weapon and pepper spray that failed. The three shot the man who is in the hospital and may live. I was not there,but sounds like a poor deal. I'll call the Sheriff THANKYOU.

How much fire power do you need in this situation?

This thread is degenerating into some non-collecting discussion, and although I am sure there are reasons for a difference in opinion, I am going to lock it as it does not really concern the collection of militaria.