Western Shark Knives in Two Flavors

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

A slow day here at the ranch. A pal asked me for some pics of the Western Cutlery Shark Knives so I pulled two out of the drawer and shot some quick pics for him. Since I now had the pics I thought I would post them here.

These two G46-6" blades are in blue and bright finishes. Collectors always admire the Western blued finishes. I tend to agree, but to my eye the bright blades are just as attractive. The two styles of sheaths for these Westerns are readily evident as well with their characteristic double stitching. I forgot to take pics of the Shark Knife variant with the flat, circular pommel. Next time.

Shark Knives Group ed.jpg

The Western Shark Knives served well during WW2. Here is a pic of two Marine aviators from VMTB-143 somewhere in the Pacific. Note the two Shark Knives carried by both pilots. (Photo credit Adam Lewis)

Western Sharks USS Gilbert Islands VMTB-143 ed.jpg

Regards,

Charlie

Killer examples Charlie!

Also have you ever noticed typically blued rivets in the sheath with the blued blade knife and bright nickel with the bright blades on the pattern of sheath you have illustrated top?

Went looking for pictures of my Shark Knife and couldn't find them; I've bought and sold several before settling on one to keep. As I understand it, Shark Knives were standard equipment issued to aviators, particularly Navy and Marine aviators, to wear on their emergency vests and as components in emergency bail out kits.

Anyway, here's a picture of mine. I would add that the guard and washers are very tight; I would expect it got little use.

post-11546-0-77617200-1453687137.jpg

My Shark, the flat pommel variation. Came from my first cousin, once removed. He was an Aviation Radio Technician 1st Class (radar maintenance and repair) in Night Torpedo Squadron 91 on the USS Bon Homme Richard CVA 31. He did not fly, he maintained the radar units in the squadron.

post-66-0-42013500-1453688847.jpg

Here is a modified Western Shark worn/used by a radio/gunner with VT-11 ( Torpedo 11 ) flying off the USS Hornet. He replaced the grips with wood and made his own sheath from a holster ( note the US ).

Notice it has a "Marbles" snap too. This knife is a real Frankenstein. I know he did not use it after WWII.

He flew at Guadalcanal in 1942-43 and again in 1944-45 during VT-11's 2nd tour.

01c9133e3a05f4c81774068ad1bf1aa0e280e6c2e0.jpg

Western offered many of their fixed knife patterns with the option of leather or wood handles going back to pre-WW2 production. However the pattern 46, (Shark or Baby Shark), don't appear in any of the catalogs I'm able to examine with a wood handle offered, up to at least 1968.

The tang stamp on your knife looks like what I'd expect to see on many Westerns made before 1954. From what I can see in the pictures the wood handle looks like the type they often used on other models from that time period. Could it have been a special ordered knife, or special run of wood handles? Can't rule out that it was a repair of a damaged original, either at the factory or by a good craftsman.

The best I can say is "it's uncommon in a Shark knife, to have a wood handle".

If we fast forward to the mid to late 70's, the 46-5, 46-6, knives are no longer offered in the Western catalogs. I've yet to find one of those knives with a date code on them from the 1977 to 91 time frame with any type handle. The 46-8 stops coming with a stacked leather handle shortly before the start of the date coding too, it appears.

The W46-8 comes with a pair of wood scales sandwiched between front and back spacers. They are attached to each other with two cutlery rivets. They look like the picture I posted in this thread, #20: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/259062-western-g-46-8-knife-with-8-blade/

Bill, something else I just remembered was a letter in one of M.H. Coles books, (the volume I can't recall just now), dated early 60's. Western was replying to him about an inquiry, where they stated that at that time Western was taking in a lot of knives from WW2 Vets and refurbishing them. Just speculation on my part but this handle sure looks like ones I've seen on other Western knives. It might be Cocobolo.

I owned a 8inch Western that had been sent back at some point.They had put a black ribbed plastic composite handle on it,buffed and polished it and put a new scabbard with it.

It looks like Rose wood of some sort. File some off and if it smells like pepper and cinnamon it's cocobolo.

It looks like Rose wood of some sort. File some off and if it smells like pepper and cinnamon it's cocobolo.?

Still-A-Marine

Yes it's cocobolo wood like on the W31. The only references I've been able to find are Cole III page 63 and Military Knives a Reference Book page 38. In the article by Michael Silve he says "a rare version made of cocobolo wood turns up from time to time."

I've never seen another. According to my notes I paid $79 for it back in 2011. The handle is in great shape.

Bill

I have one with a flat pommel like Gary's. It is stamped 1 on one side, 34 on the other side of the handle in the leather and 1 over 34 on the pommel. The scabbard is unique in that it has a fixed loop without snap at the top to hold the pommel and the bottom of the scabbard is rounded so the knife can go in either way. What is odd about the scabbard is that it has drain holes cut in it on both sides. I have seen UDT or divers knives marked in similar fashion and the scabbard looks like it was something that could be used under water. No snaps, inserted either way, etc., What doesn't make sense is that it is made of leather so I doubt it would hold up under much use. Kind of ruins my theory but I'm sticking to it. Sorry about the quality of the pics, the camera setting was wrong in the large photos, as the handle looks much nicer and the colors are better. As always Charlie's knives are outstanding and I like the pictures of them in use.

post-2641-0-35563900-1453829620.jpg

post-2641-0-29129300-1453829626.jpg

post-2641-0-39768700-1453829632.jpg

post-2641-0-17260300-1453829638.jpg