Nasty Viet Cong Rat Trap Bullet Booby Trap

warpath

Nasty Viet Cong Rat Trap Bullet Booby Trap...Two nails in a fitted slot that when struck by the rat trap hit and fire two bullets...A basic "toe popper"...Clever, simple and cheap.

post-3653-0-93214200-1453671627.jpg

post-3653-0-40867500-1453671640.jpg

post-3653-0-52268300-1453671690.jpg

I am not so sure that would work as intended. I suspect the detonation of the primer would split the soft brass case before it would drive the heavy projectile very far. I don't doubt that it is a VC trap, I just don't think it would work as intended with out some type of chamber for the rounds.Thanks for posting it. All kinds of "Booby Traps" have been used! Some catch the "Booby's" some don't!

BKW

I am not so sure that would work as intended. I suspect the detonation of the primer would split the soft brass case before it would drive the heavy projectile very far. I don't doubt that it is a VC trap, I just don't think it would work as intended with out some type of chamber for the rounds.Thanks for posting it. All kinds of "Booby Traps" have been used! Some catch the "Booby's" some don't!

BKW

Valid points, but keep in mind these were made for close up work. The projectile would not have to go very far... even a few feet and it could still be dangerous.

I no longer have my booby trap manuals, but I wonder if this was meant to be stepped on, or triggered at head or chest level.

Manchu Warrior

The old Ordnance Museum at APG had a whole section devoted to Viet Cong booby traps. I sure do miss that place.

The Viet Cong, like so many guerilla armies before and since made do with objects on hand...Evil ingenious devices that were simple and effective, from the basic punji stake to reused US unexploded ordnance, they tried anything and everything often with great success.

The projectile or bullet would not go anywhere, what would happen is the cases would split/explode sending little pieces of brass shrapnel in whatever body parts they happen to hit. Clearly a booby trap meant to wound more so than kill. You would also have to contend with wood splinters also as, chances are, it would split out the wood when the case lets go! Nasty little bugger!

Good points Dan,

This is a really cool item, thanks for posting it. We went through a booby trap course prior to deployment to Afghanistan. It is interesting what devices can be produced basically from trash, it is amazing. That is why all the trash was burned on the FOB. My ears still ring from a suicide bomber truck carrying something like 1500 pounds of Home Made Explosives that hit our FOB.

BKW

Brian,

Thanks for your service to our country, it is much appreciated. My Dad, who was a WWII vet with the 36th said that the enemy was always coming up with ways to wound you as it then tied up several men as opposed to just killing one! War is certainly a very nasty endeavor!

Hello Dan,

How cool is this! Our security forces were from the 36th ID, Texas National Guard while I was in Afghanistan (2012-2013). Those guys were great! Very Professional, and very mature. Made the most of their deployment and didn't sweat the petty stuff. About half-way through my deployment, they were replaced by active duty 101st AB. They seemed to be full of themselves and I didn't think they were as professional as the 36th ID guys. They seemed to be pretty cavalier and I thought they took a few things for granted and their NCO's didn't do the pre-combat checks that were standard with the 36th guys. One of their platoon sergeants got into serious trouble for threatening/harassing one of my US national female linguists (not sexually, I never figured out what the conflict was). I guess I have said enough about that. No big deal for me to do the deployment. I was personally asked by an O-5 Colonel if I wanted to deploy with him on a COIN (COouter INsergency) mission. I had put in for a deployment about a year prior and wasn't chosen so I actually, almost literally, jumped at the chance. As it turned out, the mission drastically changed and he didn't deploy, but I did. I had a great mission, all of "us" who deployed, came back "OK". I did attend a lot of "ramp ceremonies" of soldiers on our FOB who paid the ultimate price. I hope they didn't die in vain. I am glad I didn't serve in Iraq with the way the current administration gave it back to the bad guys. I am not any braver or any type of a hero. I was paid well while deployed. I always felt "good" about my mission and also was comfortable with my relationship with God. I still think it was his will for me to be there. I didn't really feel in danger. I did miss death by 30 seconds or four feet during the aforementioned SVBIED. A fried told me the "God Bubble" was in effect. I do believe that. My wife and daughter had a rougher time than I actually did. I missed her High School Graduation.

BKW

Brian,

Cool connection with the 36th, my dad was quite proud to serve with the t-patchers, you like my dad, always are very humble about their service but to me you folks are the true heroes and the reason we remain a free country! I will also say sorry to the original poster of this thread, didn't mean to hi jack it but always cool to learn the history of some of the folks that belong to this forum, truly a diverse group.

• 4 years later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-80717400-1585992916_thumb.jpg

A similar trap at the 3d Combat Engineer Battalion Mine Warfare School. 1966 USMC photo by LCpl. Armstrong