WWII tank destroyer's diary

MattOravik

I found a diary today at an antique shop from a soldier in the tank destroyers during WWII. The diary is a very nice leather bound diary embosed with an eagle on front. Inside it has pages for pasting newspaper clips, photos and places for the soldier to write his experiences. The only problem is he didn't write alot in it. Mostly family contact info, army buddies addresses, etc. No accounts of battles he was in or anything like that. BUT it has his army induction papers, seperation papers, local service recognition certificate, original photos, newspaper clippings about him, and even an original leaflet of the Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force that was handed out in 1944 to the invasion troops. According to his seperation papers he took part in battles in the Rhineland.

The boss wasn't in so the guy there didn't know what he wanted for it. I left him my name and number and he'll get back to me with the price. Any ideas as to what that would be worth? I have never bought one before and have no idea.

-Matt.

I paid $365 for a combat diary kept by a man in a field artillery battalion (8" howitzers). However, the diary is VERY complete, particularly after he arrived in England. There is talk about being a spotter in the hedgerows and coming under fire from a German 88; being strafed by friendly and enemy planes; seeing buzz bombs pass overhead; shelling countless cities and towns; deaths of men in his unit; etc. Without a doubt, content is everything. Since the guy in the TD unit wrote little, the real worth would be in the other parts of the collection. The most valuable item would be the SHAEF D-Day letter. Check eBay for going prices. At $25.00, it would be a steal!

I found a diary today at an antique shop from a soldier in the tank destroyers during WWII. The diary is a very nice leather bound diary embosed with an eagle on front. Inside it has pages for pasting newspaper clips, photos and places for the soldier to write his experiences. The only problem is he didn't write alot in it. Mostly family contact info, army buddies addresses, etc. No accounts of battles he was in or anything like that. BUT it has his army induction papers, seperation papers, local service recognition certificate, original photos, newspaper clippings about him, and even an original leaflet of the Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force that was handed out in 1944 to the invasion troops. According to his seperation papers he took part in battles in the Rhineland.

The boss wasn't in so the guy there didn't know what he wanted for it. I left him my name and number and he'll get back to me with the price. Any ideas as to what that would be worth? I have never bought one before and have no idea.

-Matt.

Thats sounds like an awesome set. I bet its one of the large Red or Blue books isnt it? I have had a few of them. Those leaflets bring strong $$ on Ebay considering they are not that rare ( @ $250-350 on Ebay ) . I have owned 7-8 in the last 10 years. I have always found them stuck in scrapbooks or in letters the vet mailed home.

Kurt

I was kind of surprised when he called me back and said I could have it for $25, I thought that was an ok deal to. I already told him I'd take it.

-Matt.

• 4 years later...