Question on M1916 Holster makers list?

ardennes44

Vampire Writer

Hi Dustin,

While I am willing to accept some of your points, all of the information in my table came from the Alphabetic Listing of Major War Supply Contracts 1940 -1945. I still would like to see your source data for the number of holsters manufactured and cost per piece.

The contracts I have listed for Enger-Kress, with the exception of 7410 ORD, dated 4/42, all specifically list the M3 Holster as the product in the ALMSC.

I'm not trying to be argumentative - I simply want to help further the information available to collectors. If you know of another source besides ALMSC, please let me know and I will begin researching. Thanks so much!

Rick

Look again, contract 11022-ORD-3861 of June 1944 does not specifiy the M3 holster. That is for the M1916.

While you are operating from the alphabetic listings of all contracts, I have the benefit of a condensed version of the Army Ordnance Department which is much more specific, which is private access.

Vampire Writer

Okay, I went back, checked, and I'll conceed that point re 3861, 6/44.

So are you telling me that the condensed version of the Army Ordnance Department contract listings you have is much more specific and that only YOU have access to it? If it's a government document, it's in public domain and the public has access to it ... provided they can find it. Will you please give me the full name of the source book, with publication date, and contributors (authors), so that I can find a copy and continue my research. Thanks again!

Rick

Vampire Writer

Thanks Kevin! I'm only trying to be of help to fellow collectors and advance our hobby. If anybody is interested, once again, here is the link to the Alphabetic Listing of Major War Supply Contracts 1940 -1945 to allow anyone personal research time.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-FzW-YWhyThME9hVHZqRlF6UHc

Hope this helps!

Rick

First of all, I've contributed signifcantly to this thread such as in post #13. It had taken hours to go through 500+ pages to compile that list of data, so I do have an invested effort here. Second, I was merely attemping to help rfine your list for the sake of accuracy. As a helpful hint you should list the full contract Prefix-ORD-####. Also trying to be helpful in checks and balances making note of the descrepancy of one Enger Kress contract. It is not helpful or advancing to the hobby if we run on inaccurate information. Attempting to not be bullying but rather starting with a small tid-bit to inch the conversation. Instead I felt you got a little defense and I would had liked to help make your initial draft more comprehensive. Yes, the Army Ord list is a government set of documents and is available via FOIA and the public can access it all they want but it doesn't mean I have to cough it up upon demand since its in my personal possession. And before You or others attack me, I contribute significantly to the USMF often never hesitating the sharing of images and information. I do have a right to keep some things to myself as part of my personal archive. Everyone is welcome to travel to NARA to spare their time and expenses.

Vampire Writer

Alrighty, I too have contributed ... likewise, it took several hours to comb through a few thousand pages to compile the data table that Matt so kindly posted for me yesterday afternoon ... so I too have an invested effort in the information I readily shared with the group. I have gone in to my file and made the correction that you pointed out, additionally, when the print versions of the ALMSC arrive to me, I will correct the contract information (I'm old school and work better with a book than a computer screen :-) )

I will begin a search for a copy of your prized possession so I can freely assist other collectors in their endeavor to gain knowledge. Speaking of sharing unearthed knowledge, here's something I found - and hope it helps - the Australian maker for the holy grail G.P.&S. holsters is George Pizzey and Sons Ltd, located in Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia ... their wartime street address was 131 Johnson Street - and when I uncovered that info, I immediately sent it to Charlie Flick and then posted it here on the boards.

For what it's worth, I've been collecting militaria for over 30 years, during which time I have amassed a store of reference works and general knowledge ... all of which I will readily "cough up" to other collectors for the simple cost of asking.

We have a dying hobby ... how many young (40 and under) collectors do you know ... only a handful I'm sure. Therefore, since we are only caretakers of our collections and not owners, we owe it to the next generation of collectors to provide them with as much incentive (knowledge) as possible to preserve the field for future generations.

• 5 years later...

I recently purchased this 1916 holster. It has no identifiable makers mark, possibly a W.J.D. inspector mark. The date looks it may say 1916, which given the fact it is a 1916 holster could be possible. Who would have made this holster in that time period. over all the holster is in good condition, defiantly seen heavy use. dose anyone have any idea.   

1000001650[1].jpg

1000001651[1].jpg

1000001652[1].jpg

1000001653[1].jpg

1000001654[1].jpg

1000001655[1].jpg

That is what I thought to. The picture may mot be able to show as clear as the holster, but the number in the forth position appears to eventually an upside down 9 used turning it in to 6. Was there a W.J.L. inspector that that would have been working prior to G&K making 1916 holsters, or did W.J.D. move to G&K in 1918 to insure consistent quality. 

7 hours ago, Venny said:

That is what I thought to. The picture may mot be able to show as clear as the holster, but the number in the forth position appears to eventually an upside down 9, used turning it in to 6. Was there a W.J.L. inspector that that would have been working prior to G&K making 1916 holsters, or did W.J.D. move to G&K in 1918 to insure consistent quality. 

What I meant to say, sorry I should never try typing messages right after waking up.

"That is what I thought to. The picture may not be able to show the details as clearly, on the holster. But the number in the forth position appears to be a upside down 9, their version of a 6 maybe. Was there a inspector W.J.L. that that would have been working prior to G&K making 1916 holsters, or did inspector W.J.D. move to G&K in 1918 to insure consistent quality. 

10000016631.jpg.8382440790ead910412bcc3f8342f0c0.jpg