Cavalry saddle bags, and its contents.

Walch

Hello everyone! I am wanting to purchase a set of 1904 saddle bags to attach to my 1928 McClellan. I think I will be able to buy a set in February. Until then I am looking around the web for the saddlebags and the contents to fill them for the display. Anyway does anyone know of any reference material to show how they loaded and what they loaded into the bags. And if anyone has any leads onsome saddle bags at a reasonable price and condition I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

I would obtain a copy of the WWII Soldier's handbook. That has a few drawings and photos of the layout of a Cavalry Trooper and Artilleryman using the 28 saddle. One thing you'll note is that the saddlebags that are supposed to be used with the 28 are the M1924 (modified) saddlebags (basically 04 bags with an additional outside pocket added) so the equipment shown in the layout will be a tight fit in 04 bags. The biggest space waster in the late Cavalry bags was the inclusion of C-Rations which were an experiment late in the cavalry era.

Tom Bowers

• 3 years later...

@Walch,

Did you ever find a list of contents for a set of US Cavalry saddlebags?

@hbtcoveralls, do you have better bibliography information for the Soldiers H.B. you mention?

I, too, am looking for a list of contents for saddlebags.

Might want to check with the Horse Platoon, First Cavalry Division, FT Hood , TX.

In addition to being first class soldiers, many in the Horse Platoon are serious history buffs.

Ken