Help to ID This Rifleman Button

gpspartans

trying to ID this button but reference books have me confused. McGuinn & Bazelon have mention of button b/m's that are close but no cigar. button is 7/8" 23 mm Dia.

marks are (star) SCOVILL MFG. (not sure of the F has ' or just a mistake with strike) CO. divider looks like star WATERBURY. star divider

see attached

any help will be greatly appreciated!

David

gpspartans

post-150589-0-63114600-1453165782.jpg

post-150589-0-32543700-1453165790.jpg

RF215A43 in Tice's book. Albert doesn't list this exact button/backmark, but good Civil War era Rifleman button, I believe RF19 type.

Without the circle of dots below the writing I believe this to be Indian Wars period or later reproduction and not Civil War.

See reference photo below.

Without the circle of dots below the writing I believe this to be Indian Wars period or later reproduction and not Civil War.

See reference photo below.

I was thinking the same thing based on what appears to be a post-Civil War Scovill bm. But both Tice's Uniform Button book and Dan Binder's notes on Albert's book states that all Rifleman's buttons are Civil War period or earlier.

Except reproductions. On the front of the button the R is stamped very lightly and not sharp and crisp like a real Civil War button would be expected to have.

thanks all the help. I would rule out repo as this came from very high rep auction house Cowen's in a lot of very good buttons from a long time collector. all have proven authentic.