WWI 312th Cav Uniform, not the norm

dskjl

• 3 weeks later...

Nice find D

looks like it was made back in the old home area

Thanks, I don't know what it is about these military sports items but I just cant get enough.

Welp here's the lineage for the 312th Cavalry Regiment.

Constituted 18 May 1917 in the National Army as the 312th Cavalry. Organized 13 March 1918 at Fort Meyer Virginia; 12 February 1918 at Fort Sheridan, Illinois; and 23 March 1918 at Fort D.A. Russell, Wyoming. Elements at Fort Meyer converted and redesignated 13 August 1918 as 60th Field Artillery; elements at Fort Sheridan converted and redesignated 14 August 1918 as 61st Field Artillery and element at Fort D.A. Russell converted and redesignated as 28th Trench Mortar Battery.

(28th Trench Mortar Battery assigned to 99th Division and demobilized at Camp Jackson,South Carolina; 17 December 1918 , 61st Flied Artillery assigned to 97th Division and demobilized at Camp Jackson, South Carolina in January 1919; 60th Field Artillery assigned to 20th Division and demobilized at Camp Jackson, South Carolina in February 1919.

60th and 61st Field Artillery and 28th Trench Mortar Battery reconstituted in the Organized Reserves, consolidated and redesignated 15 October 1921 as the 312th Cavalry, an element of the 63rd Cavalry Division. Reorganized in September 1922 with Headquarters at Oklahoma City. Oklahoma. Converted and redesignated 30 January 1942 as the 548th Signal Aircraft warning Regiment.

Campaign Credits

NONE

So based on this unit chronology, your baseball uniform, and a superb example if there ever was one, will date from that small window when it was still the 312th Cav in the late spring/summer months of 1918, or more then likely in the 20s-30s when it was formed up once again as the 312th Cavalry.

Thank you so much what great info. I sent pics of the uniform to sports memorabilia shop back east and they confirmed the 1910 t0 1920's era of the style and make of the uniform.

Thanks again for your support and the research.

My Pleasure, too bad no cap was with it.

Amen, I have several uniforms now and have not found a cap yet, but one never knows.

Thanks again.

Amen, I have several uniforms now and have not found a cap yet, but one never knows.

Thanks again.

Yeah those items probably see other wear other then on the ball field, with the end result of them being worn out eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

So based on this unit chronology, your baseball uniform, and a superb example if there ever was one, will date from that small window when it was still the 312th Cav in the late spring/summer months of 1918, or more then likely in the 20s-30s when it was formed up once again as the 312th Cavalry.

The constuction and design of the uniform (the dark, flapless collar) puts it squarely into the late 1920s-early 1930s. Great deduction based upon the unit history!