Recently Found China Marine Related Images

Dirk

I’ve been a bit slow these past few months in adding anything to the collection, but I did acquire a few small groups comprised of either images or negatives relating to the China Marines in the late teens and early 1920‘s. In the case of the negatives group (the majority was Haiti images) I had them restored and printed professionally as they appeared to be taken by a private camera vice the more common post photographer images we usually see. Strangely of all the decades the China Marines served, I have had the most trouble finding pictures/photo albums from the early through mid-1920s. Don’t ask me why, but the early teens in China was well documented photographically…likewise the 1930’s. And of course Butler’s China Expedition of the late 1920’s was probably over documented with what seems like an endless supply of pictures surfacing.

Now of these images are not particularly unique by themselves, but are nice to share what has not been seen in 90 plus years. The negatives are a larger format 4.5 " X 3.5". First up a proud Marine stands on the Quarterdeck of the Marine Detachment Compound in Peking c. 1922-23.What is interesting here, is the Marine is wearing the small custom leather ammo pouch. This is the earliest image I have of a Peking Marine wearing such. Such pouches were worn while serving Guard Mount and continued to be worn through 1941.

quarterdeck.jpeg

We know the Marines, by the early 1920s had both an NCO club and Privates club. But many Marines gravitated to small bars in the Hutungs of Peking. Of course many remain nameless and normally unrecorded. Here two Marines enjoy their quarts of Five Star Son Ho Sin beer. Five Star or Ho Sin was the Marines favorite in Peking.

This Marine chose to photograph a Chinese man and boy near one the bars in Pekingnote the Kuppers beer crate behind the man.

A more formal affair here, two Marines on liberty and a number of local women eating a Chinese meal and enjoy more Five Star.

americna bar.jpeg

chinese men.jpeg

drinking.jpeg

A guard in front of the Japanese Legation. Not uncommon for Marines to photograph the Legations of other Nations. After all the Legation Quarter was only one mile long by a half mile wide and was filled with the bugle calls of up to ten different nations though all hours of the day.

japanguard.jpeg

Into the countryside, most likely the Western Hills outside of Peking. A Marine has chosen to photograph several pagodas that dot the countryside. The West Hills offered an easy to reach scenic location not far outside the city.

Again in the Countryside, this Sergeant has had himself photographed in one of the temples with a Buddha. Note the Sergeant’s walking stick.

Here we see several Marines in swimming and athletic gear on a beach-given where this Marine served it could have been a beach in China, Guam or even Haiti.

pagoda.jpeg

templemar.jpeg

swimmers.jpeg

Lastly, from this collection a mid to late 1920’s image. The US Minister to China poses on the Tartar Wall for a formal portrait with the NCO’s of Mar Det Peking. An interesting mix of headgear to include several Marines with the old Bell Crown still being worn into the late 1920’s. Going to have to have this one restored as well.

group.jpeg

Going back a bit to the teens these next images come from another Peking based Marine. What is interesting is the images in this collection span a long window of time. Here we see the detachment band posing atop the Tartar Wall still wearing their older blue winter overcoats.

band.jpeg

Again the Detachment band, but this time on the American Glacis along with the Mounted Detachment and the line companies in the distant right being inspected. With the old West Barracks present we know the picture dates before 1917.

glacis.jpeg

And the Mounted themselves, same location but this time in winter dress with their fur caps. No rifles being carried, and loose fastened caps, they are just out to exercise their mounts.

horsebitJ.jpg

And a final shot. A young Marine recruit poses proudly with a landing gun in the background. This images comes from a picture postcard that he sent to his mom indicating he was now a Marine. He would later serve on the West Coast, in the Philippines and in China.

WJ Jones.jpeg

teufelhunde.ret

As always, a pleasure to see new additions to your collection. For those not familiar, Dirk owns the web-site chinamarine.org it is the best resource on the web for China Marine info.

Irish thanks! The sports shot is my favorite of the group.

Darrell thanks! as always,a big thanks for your kind words and plug for the web site! I really want to get more research done this winter but the archives at the Grey Center was closed when I went back to Quantico several weeks ago....I want to finishing drafting an article on Butler.

Great photos, Dirk! Thanks for posting. Always nice to see new old China Marine pics. And, great analysis. Start writing! Semper Fi......Bob

Great photos, Dirk. Can you imagine your mother learning you were a Marine-especially back then-after you had gone through boot camp and were half a world away in Asia? My mother found out I had joined just a few states away, and I thought she was going to have a heart attack!

As for the image with the medley of different covers. I have a unit photo in China Christmas 1925...and the same eclectic blend was still in full swing!

In the grand scheme of things, 95 years is not that long ago...and has the world changed since! It's easy to see how people gravitate to the romance of the era...a different world, simpler times, classier appearances. Makes the imagination kick in, I would have rather enjoyed a tour in China in the era

Thanks guys! Yes Brig you would have enjoyed a cruise over there....sounds like a tight knit group with ample funds and cheap entertainment....and the occasional crisis.....referencing the headgear, I guess 25-27 saw the bell crown still being worn over there. Suprised the 1Sgt is still wearing his.....I would like given his visibility with the Post Commandant he would have had to transition.

Thanks guys! Yes Brig you would have enjoyed a cruise over there....sounds like a tight knit group with ample funds and cheap entertainment....and the occasional crisis.....referencing the headgear, I guess 25-27 saw the bell crown still being worn over there. Suprised the 1Sgt is still wearing his.....I would like given his visibility with the Post Commandant he would have had to transition.

Or he was one of those cantankerous old salts who resists change. I remember the first 1stSgt I ever had refused to transition from black boots to the rough-outs until the very last day they were authorized. Rest of the battalion was wearing the new ones, he was still showing up at Battalion Formation in black