Help! Possible Stowaway From A Grouping

peppersteak122

peppersteak122

Hi everyone,

Need some advice, please!

Recently I obtained a fantastic USAAF grouping. In contains a Class A uniform and a pilot's navigation leather portfolio, with over 500 pages of certifications, flight plans, after action reports, etc.

I specifically had it shipped to my office, because I wanted to quarantine it before bringing to my home.

At the end of day when I was leaving, I saw a small moth flying from my jacket (the one I wore, not the Class A).

While I wasn't sure if the moth was from the grouping or outside, I had never seen a moth either in my home or office before. And I am freaking out.

At this moment, I put the grouping in a plastic container (with a few cedar blocks) in my car's trunk. Tomorrow I am putting the jacket in the freezer for repeating freezing method.

However... What do I do with the leather portfolio and all the 75 years old documents inside? Don't think it was a good ideas to freeze them... Should I try moth-ball method in a sealed container? Would that hurt leather, metal zipper, and paper?

A friend told me that moths eat paper, too... Is that true...?

Much appreciated for your advices and responses.

Here is the grouping pic

post-158152-0-21956300-1452568878.jpeg

I think freezing would be fine for 24 hours. Stick them in an airtight bag, make sure they are dry going in, and I don't think you'll have any issues

I think quite often moths get a bum rap. More often than not, the culprits are silverfish, and yes, they love paper! Jack

I would go with what you were advised in Post #3. Might consider investing in some moth traps as a precaution and see if anything shows up. Make sure you get the proper kind specifically for clothes moths. You can get them on E Bay. If you start to see moths flying around its probably to late

peppersteak122

peppersteak122

think those are for pantry moths: they eat and emerge from grain and don't eat clothing -

I knew I should take biology major... not electrical engineering. Thanks, Thor. :)

You need clothes moth traps. That is for pantry moths, the wrong type. Might be easier to buy them off E Bay. Kritterkill in England makes a good trap. Buy the holders and inserts the first time then afterward you just but the inserts. I think they last about four months.

peppersteak122

Thanks! Just bought 2 holders + 10 refills. I don't expect to see any moths, but $20 is worth for peace of mind.

Also, I shouldn't buy it during my lunch time... looking at those moth pictures on the seller's website really made me losing appetite...

I think quite often moths get a bum rap. More often than not, the culprits are silverfish, and yes, they love paper! Jack

Moths encountered out in the woods, or in random locations, may live in peace.

Those who choose to attempt to enter the threshold of my house are terminated with extreme prejudice.

If you purchased the Kritterkill traps from England I have had very good luck with them and the shipping was pretty fast considering they are from overseas. Be sure you confirm that you received the correct number of traps and inserts when you open the package as I did get shorted once. Brought it to their attention and the shipped the missing items immediately.

Silverfish and carpet beetles; the 'silent killers' of militaria because they get in, do the damage, and often move on before you even know what happened.