WWI Army Nurse Corps Ephemera Grouping - How to Preserve?

MasonK

I picked up this paper grouping today. It is three binders/booklets, with documents and photos belonging to a woman who served overseas with the ANC during WWI.

The first book documents her time overseas during WWI, including photos, documents and postcards. The second books details her service in various positions with an American Legion post in NYC. The third book details a return visit to France in 1937, I assume for the 20th anniversary of America's entry into The Great War.

The books themselves were obviously put together by the nurse. Many of the pages have detached/are crumbling. Other documents are loose in the booklets, bound in place by three-hole punch.

I'd like to be able to view the booklets on occasion. My plan is to trim the black construction paper, the photos and post cards are glued to, so they can fit into acid free archival sleeves. Documents that are not glued in place, would be removed from the booklet, and placed in sleeves. Everything would remain in the same order they are in the books.

My question is, am I doing a disservice by disassembling the books, or am I OK to do so as a means to preserve? What the opinion of the masses? My fear is the booklets will continue to deteriorate as they are handled.

Sampling below of the booklets and their contents.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

post-29885-0-94555700-1451951945.jpg

post-29885-0-89495300-1451951949.jpg

Mason, first, congratulations and on a very nice group. Several months ago, I obtained a similar group to an ANC nurse from France as well. Fortunately, my documents were loose. I did exactly what you are intending, which is to place the documents in archival clear sleeves placed into a scrap book. I open it often and look through the material. I think it would be the right thing for you to do, first to preserve the items and second to enjoy them. I would photograph everything extensively and keep the remnants of what you remove. Just my two cents. Kevin

Thanks for your input, Kevin. One of those situations where you want to preserve the integrity of the group, however not if it means you never get to actually look at the content.

I'm going to start dismantling/scanning/transferring everything this weekend. Should be a fun project.

Sounds like a great grouping you acquired. Was it posted on the forum? Would love to see it.

Thanks again!

Hey Mason, I haven't posted it yet. There is a bit more to the story actually. The nurse in my group married two WWI Marine heroes and I have their items as well. In fact the group is growing. I am researching it as well and will likely post it someday. I think you are doing the right thing. Kevin