Christmas came early 340th BG Group B-10

38Driver

Posted this in groupings also, but figured the aviation guys might like it.

I wasn't looking for a new project, but sometimes they appear and you have to go for it. I came across this B-10 jacket listed under flight jackets on eBay. Somehow it got missed and I grabbed it with its BIN being more than fair. Turns out the seller was posting other bits from the same guy and after making contact with the seller I was able to get the other bits so I could keep the stuff together.

All this stuff belonged to a 21 year old Bombardier from the 340th BG. I didn't initially make the 340th connection as it wasn't listed that way, but closer examination of the faded patch on the jacket confirmed it. the 12th patch on the shoulder only helped cement it's authenticity. In the end I got his sunglasses, bombardier wings, a bunch of insignia including the ribbon bars and DUC along with some ruptured duck patches and pins along with a couple of his officer shirts, a couple cap insignia and a couple of 12th patches. Sadly the bullion one had disintegrated for the most part. Also included was a painted on leather patch of the flag for the right shoulder that is the same as the one that fell apart.

I'm thinking restoration project somehow. Anyway, figured I'd share my early Christmas. Now the fun really begins tracking down his story. Joseph Heller of Catch 22 fame was a 21 year old 340th BG Bombardier as well so I'll have to re-read that book too :)

post-68384-0-99873600-1450907153.jpg

post-68384-0-24544200-1450907168.jpg

What was nice was once the seller understood I was going to do what it took to keep the bits together he worked with me instead of milking it. He was happy I wanted to preserve it together and that I wanted to find out about the man who this stuff belonged to. He's hunting for photos for me and any paper bits that may have survived now. Hopefully I can fill out the story.

My wife has been laughing seeing me get all fired up to chase another story. It's what keeps me going I think

What was nice was once the seller understood I was going to do what it took to keep the bits together he worked with me instead of milking it. He was happy I wanted to preserve it together and that I wanted to find out about the man who this stuff belonged to. He's hunting for photos for me and any paper bits that may have survived now. Hopefully I can fill out the story.

My wife has been laughing seeing me get all fired up to chase another story. It's what keeps me going I think

Well done !! thats great news !!

• 1 year later...

Had to bump this, as proof of Karma. I got the first batch of stuff before Christmas 2015. I'd kept in contact with the folks I got it from and kept them up to date on the restoration of the B-10. They recently contacted me and found more bits and asked if I was interested. They liked that I wanted to keep the stuff together and piece together the story of the young bombardier this stuff belonged to.

Well the bits arrived a couple days ago. Paydirt! Photos of 25s, mission maps, a photo copy of his wartime diary (family kept the original) his dog tag, name tag from training, Air Medal citation and some other assorted bits.

Interestingly enough he was with the 488th BS, 340th BG about a year after Joseph Heller of Catch-22 fame. And interestingly enough the photos are of the same 25 that Heller had flown missions in a year before. Guess they shared the same window seat on the war. It was great to be able to put a face to the name as well.

It does make me believe in Karma. Just prior to pulling the trigger on the B-10, I'd sent my named B-10 group to a member whose focus is on the group that B-10 wearing pilot belonged to. While every once in a while I wonder "what was I thinking?" This just reminds me that I did the right thing as I have this named B-10 group and the research project to go with it that I enjoy. Hope you don't mind my sharing the latest bits.

post-68384-0-40073600-1486076382_thumb.jpg

post-68384-0-85669200-1486076391_thumb.jpg

The 19 year old bombardier. I don't know yet if he washed out of flight training, or got moved to bombardier school when the number of pilots in training exceeded the need. Photos from flight school and in his cadet uniform.

post-68384-0-21101400-1486076459_thumb.jpg

post-68384-0-27393000-1486076466_thumb.jpg

And a couple images of "Old Ironsides III" from April 45 when he was flying in it, along with an image of Heller alongside that bird in 44.

post-68384-0-84561600-1486076666_thumb.jpg

post-68384-0-66334600-1486076806_thumb.jpg

Heller and Old Ironsides III. Heller is center in the second image. Pointed out in the first. Both shots are with the same 25

post-68384-0-71797800-1486076870_thumb.jpg

post-68384-0-73016100-1486076950_thumb.jpg

Are you familiar with "The True Story of Catch-22" by Patricia Meder? She is the daughter of the 340th BG commander; it's a great book and still available for $5.95 (!) from Edward Hamilton Bookseller. Many photos and some great stories; I highly recommend it.

Nice work Dan! About that karma thing......well, I know you definitely deserved some good coming back to you :-) . Good things happen to good people!

Congrats, that is a great grouping and great story to go along with it.

Nice work Dan! About that karma thing......well, I know you definitely deserved some good coming back to you :-) . Good things happen to good people!

Congrats, that is a great grouping and great story to go along with it.

I was like a kid on Christmas when the latest batch showed up. Face to the name is a big deal to me. That and nailing down the Squadron. Chasing the story is such a great part of this ?

doinworkinvans

DAN!!! Nice work dude - such a nice group. Missed this the first time around. This is great stuff! Love those shots of the B-25

• 2 weeks later...

Bit the bullet and got a decent chute for F/O Cruise. His sunglasses, B-10 and dog tag underneath. Figured I'd do my 12th AF bombardier up right. A-11 helmet with B-8 goggles, A-14 O-mask. B-10 Jacket, A-9 pants over F-3 heated suit with F-2 gloves and silk inserts. A-6A boots. B-8 chute for now. Wanted one for my fighter pilot and figured F/O Cruise could use it til I get a good harness and a second mannequin for my 9th AF fighter pilot someday. Chute pack is dated 45, harness dated 44 and the chute dated 43 inside the pack. No idea how that works :)

Anyway, just for fun. The only repro bit is the first aid kit

post-68384-0-23143000-1487399454_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...