Newly Discovered Doolittle Raider DFC Medal

KASTAUFFER

Kurt, thanks for sharing, I love this medal now because of the mystery and the homework you did. I can only echo what others have said - knowledge is power. I am glad you found this. Even though this is out of my realm, I also agree that you have the original DFC awarded to Smith.

I might have a copy of the WD GO. I will look, if you're interested and don't already have it.

Rob

Hi Rob

If you have a copy, Id love to have a scan. I thought I had a copy of the GO, but I don't.

Kurt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

BTT in honor of the 77th anniversary!

I flew today, raised hell with the .50 Cal at Avon Park gunnery range and reminded the crew of this historic day. Some days are really good.

Doolittle was a Lt.Col. during the raid. He was promoted to BG around mid-1942. Can't find the exact date. The engraved cross would have been done after he was promoted.

W

Doolittle was promoted to Brigadier General, skipping Colonel, immediately after the raid, late April or early May 1942. I have letter he wrote to a raider's family in Mid-May showing his rank as BG. Bobgee

• 2 weeks later...

As far as the Chinese medal's flower orientation, note that the flower piece is screwed on with a flathead screw? So, possible it came loose, and was retightened at a slightly different angle?

As far as the Chinese medal's flower orientation, note that the flower piece is screwed on with a flathead screw? So, possible it came loose, and was retightened at a slightly different angle?

Yup, + 1

Regards

Herman

Skysoldier80

Wow, this is one fascinating forum positing. Having something/anything from Doolittle Raider is such a great find since the last living one just died this month.

• 3 years later...

I wanted to add to this thread on the 81st anniversary of the Doolittle Raid on Japan instead of starting another one about a newly found Doolittle Raider DFC. I bought this DFC last year and waited until I could gather as much information as possible to assess that this medal was assigned and awarded to one of the raiders. I believe it is, and the medal has not been altered regarding the number, is unnamed and in great shape. After viewing countless newspaper articles on newspapers.com spanning from 1942 to 1946, I only found one article stating his mother received the DFC from the War Department. I have the Al Gleim research papers from the War Department (courtesy of a fellow USMF member), and it accounts for the medals assigned/awarded to the raiders and their distribution per the desire of Brigadier General Doolittle after the raid. The general was tenacious in ensuring the medals (all 79) were accounted for, whether they were presented in person or sent to the next of kin per the War Department paperwork. As this recipient was a very humble man, there was not a whole lot of fanfare surrounding his DFC and no presentation is noted in any newspaper nor by the government. For one, the government and his family did not know if he was alive, as he was captured the day after the famous raid. On August 15, 1942, it was learned from the Swiss Consulate General in Shanghai that eight American flyers were prisoners of the Japanese at Police Headquarters in that city. On October 19, 1942, the Japanese broadcast that they had tried two crews of the Tokyo Raid and had sentenced them to death, but that a larger number of them had received commutation of their sentences to life imprisonment and a lesser number had been executed. No names or facts were given. The bombardier for Plane 16 was one of those prisoners of war. He would remain in captivity for 40 months until he was released on August 20, 1945. He separated from the service on October 15, 1945. After that, he became a missionary and devoted his life to teaching faith and did just that in America, and in Japan. I am aware some of his items were auctioned off in March 2008 after his death and this included the medals he wore on his jacket, which include a DFC, Purple Heart, Good Conduct Medal (all unnamed) and his ribbon bars. I have no idea where those items ended up, but they are surely in a collection somewhere. Here is a picture of the medal and the number, followed by the citation for the raider.

image.png.21a82f545262548de3eb08b43d053439.png

image.png.1733bad68ad0e0134b8763a37a82ba71.png

image.png.d7f19ac0f3fefa3e44f2a8b8b8b66323.png

image.png.050b6293baa6f5706564e1bc13848413.png

image.png.4d7f28766cb6a16b19678f479b83080f.png

image.png.57a6a780fa4abef53c2a357344bf5db3.png

image.png.2890f5183b33fdbc0028edc2a901d7ea.png

Here is some data to support the assigned/awarded DFC by name to the raider. The previous post #52 in this thread is linked to all the raiders.

My wife has outstanding near vision and deciphered the notation on the War Department paperwork. Of note, you will see carded, no presn noted on DFC #2247 and carded, presn not noted on DFC #2248 (Leland Faktor).

I am not positive if carded meant there was a telegram involved, but I cannot find anything that explains the definition of what carded means.

image.png.85a2933e628c2a40d971528c493cfc9b.png

image.png.d1d38be5f455e5e98d0753bd586b5423.png

Another document is clearly legible to explain the notation. I mention Leland Faktor to connect the dots on carded, no presentation as it relates to DFC #2247.

image.png.6d3680868ef1757ae4a9236d6ed26405.png

image.png.910db21b943ee00a44f7f2630450a978.png

I discovered that Leland Faktor’s parents received his DFC and Purple Heart in March 1943. Apparently, his parents did not opt for a presentation of the medals yet received them per the War Department next of kin address provided. This is how I linked that the next of kin would receive the decoration but not elect to have a presentation.

image.png.ae89a4dbc4f097ccb224e70c9903f6a1.png

Here is the article that mentions the DFC was sent by the War Department to his mother while he was a prisoner of war. The third to fourth column is where it is mentioned.

image.png.7656aacd1fbae7bee744b0986c2719ed.png

This raider received his Purple Heart in 1945 at the Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., after returning to the United States. When he parachuted from the B-25 on April 18, 1942, he landed on a tombstone in a Chinese cemetery. The mishap caused him a fractured rib and made him a member of the Order of the Purple Heart. He is left of center after receiving the medal.

image.png.eaa8794886991f44f0c44de63f35db66.png

Two years after that, he received the Chinese Breast Order of the Yun Hui with Diploma for his participation and heroism in the raid.

image.png.d2158ca9708844a06b7c08a9d62070fc.png

• 1 year later...