8 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,806 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:38 AM

This forum has long had an EGA Reference section that has a lot of great information about the many variants of Marines Eagle Globe & Anchor devices. But, we organized it by date, so if you have no idea of when an EGA is worn you may have to click on lots of dates until you find it.

Yesterday I had a nice conversation with forum member and EGA collector usmcaviator - Mike - about the status of long-anticipated reference books on EGA's. I know of three potential EGA books that have been in various stages of development, with one of them apparently having been in the writing stage for something like 20 years!

Until and if one of these goes to print the forum research section has what I think is the best available source of info on EGA's...if you can find them.

I have long thought about creating a page that shows photos of EGA's in chronologicial order so you could lay your EGA next to your computer and scroll down the page until you see one that looks like it. Then you could click on the photo to read the Reference section about that particular style of EGA.

It turns out Mike has already done that. He has a great web page with excellent photos arranged by date. It looks like this:

egaref.jpg

That page is at http://www.eagleglob...ce_Section.html and while you can not click on the photos, once you determine the approximate date, you can go to the forum reference section and click on one of the date links there: http://www.usmilitar...al-section-ref/

egarefforumlist.jpg

Clicking on those will bring up a list something like this:

egarefforumexample.jpg

#2 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 22,031 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:47 AM

That had been along the lines of my original thoughts back when we started the section in 2007...until I realized how many variants there were I didn't know about, I was new and naive and thought there were maybe a couple dozen at the time

#3 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,806 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:57 AM

I was new and naive and thought there were maybe a couple dozen at the time

After this forum created the first online EGA discussion section I think I lot of us were surprised at the scope of EGA styles that collectors shared here. Mike's page has over 140 photos and I am sure there are a lot more variants out there.

#4 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 22,031 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:58 AM

After this forum created the first online EGA discussion section I think I lot of us were surprised at the scope of EGA styles that collectors shared here. Mike's page has over 140 photos and I am sure there are a lot more variants out there.

If you count hallmarks as variants...and I do...hundreds more!

#5 ChuckyD

ChuckyD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 110,409
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:59 PM

I applaud the forum and Colonel Mike for their outstanding work in this arena.   I am personally grateful and very appreciative for the hard work and outstanding effort involved in making this happen.  I have used it and will continue to use it to discern the devices that I come across sometimes.  It's very useful and informative.  I hope a book does come out soon because it too would be very helpful.

Also, as motivation, I have often wondered to Colonel Mike's website to gaze at the amazing devices that I never knew existed (even after serving 23 years in the USMC).   It's a great reflection of Marine Corps history and reflects how diverse "collecting" can be (and also how hard the Colonel has worked to collect all his devices and to get he website up).   The website is a great motivator to keep charging in a hope to one day find that "rare" device or even just one that you don't have!!  Thanks again!

Bravo Zulu

Semper Fidelis

Chuck

#6 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:46 AM

Thanks Bob/Chuck,

I plan to have each image clickable for a detailed shot of front and back, a small description, as well as show variations in attachment and markings.  Currently the photos are low-res.  I have a fraction of the collection on the site but do have plan to slowly build it.  I have almost the whole collection photographed now.  I know there are some formatting issues with the site I am working through.  In absence of having time for a book, I'm trying to share what I have through the website.

Mike

#7 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:22 AM

Thank you, Mike! Semper Fi......Bob

#8 Pipe.Guy

Pipe.Guy
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 163,024
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:12 PM

I'm new to both collecting and the forum, and I have to say, it's a bit of a sensory overload at first. However that website is probably the most comprehensive and detailed source of variants of the EGA that I've seen! Absolutely fantastic. 

#9 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:32 AM

I'm new to both collecting and the forum, and I have to say, it's a bit of a sensory overload at first. However that website is probably the most comprehensive and detailed source of variants of the EGA that I've seen! Absolutely fantastic. 

Thanks for the endorsement Pipe.Guy, I'm still working on it with plans for expansion....

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users