Dreaded Telegram & What Happens Next Schweinfurt 8/17/43

manayunkman

I spent a number of years researching a bomber crew for the younger brother of the co-pilot who was lost. Up to that time I had no clue how even after all those years, the impact of one of those telegrams had on a family. The brother could hardly talk without crying. He said his parents were never the same, and he was left trying to live up to the brother he no longer had.

Tragic

I hoped there'd be a happy ending when you first posted this, and did a search and found out how the story ended. Things like this are poignant, for sure. I have a similar set of letters to a 45th Div. man, myself.

Over the next few days in November 1943 letters of sympathy come in.

There are several letters from acquaintances including another letter from his congressman.

Of note is a card from Kay who was an old girlfriend.

post-51189-0-00510700-1449811590.jpg

What is really interesting is this letter from Lawrence Higdon Sr. a WWI veteran.

Written the day the newspaper article came out.

post-51189-0-85183700-1449811950.jpg

The Thanksgiving program announces Homer Jr's death and expresses sympathy to the family.

A later program announces that a gold star will be placed on the churches Roll of Honor for Homer Jr.

post-51189-0-87725000-1449812860.jpg

Nice work on putting this thread together and telling his story. Letters and such items are often overlooked but can really be treasures of information and history.

JD

Please keep in mind that this is just part of the correspondence.

There is evidence that there was more but I assume it has been lost.

More mail came in December.

Here we have sympathies from the Chief Of Staff General Marshall and Senator Tom Stewart.

post-51189-0-08735200-1449868220.jpg

Notification of Homer Jr.'s life insurance stating that his father is the beneficiary of $10,000.

Another notification let's the father know he is eligible for a death pension.

The application for this pension has been filled out with much information on the Mitts family.

For one the father spends over twice as much as he is able to take in with his grocery business.

post-51189-0-70932100-1449869185.jpg

Here is another letter from a family member, the aunt of Dick Klopolsky the waist gunner.

She sends it to Homer's sister Jean letting her know how much their family appreciates all her letters and cards.

"It has helped us in our sorrow to get some personal contact with persons closely related to the boys of the crew."

She goes on to say that she has been writing the Chaplain of the 8th Air Force but he doesn't have any information about what happened.

In addition she told the chaplain that they have heard that the boys had been killed in action.

Even with that information she has hope that they might still be alive.

Further into the letter she relates that Dick's mother is taking it hard and proceeds to relate how many loved ones the family has lost.

In closing she let's Jean know that she relates to her loneliness and let's her know that she will forward any news.

Hand written on the back is a list of her nephews and niece who are all in the service.

I can imagine that there must have been comfort in knowing that others were going through the same thing you are.

post-51189-0-29091600-1449871904.jpg

From the Secretary of War December 30, 1943.

"The Purple Heart has been awarded posthumously to your son"

post-51189-0-24470300-1449872741.jpg

January brings more paperwork this time from the Army Emergency Relief.

Extending help and information concerning finances.

post-51189-0-28409400-1449873520.jpg

A letter from the Army Effects Bureau.

"We have checked our records and regret to state that we have not received any information regarding your son's belongings."

They probably got divided up amongst the remaining crew members.

post-51189-0-12726500-1449874015.jpg

The only mail in February that is in this group concerns the resolution of the insurance claim of $10,000.

If I understand this correctly it will be paid in $59.00 monthly increments.

post-51189-0-13610200-1449874548.jpg

I'm assuming as they are dated March that they arrived in March.

It must have been a grizzly reminder.

post-51189-0-96073300-1449874825.jpg

April 1944 Dick Klopolsky's mom writes to Jean and sends a copy of Lt. Faringer's letter.

Faringer is the original navigator in Homer Jr.'s crew who was grounded on the fateful day.

Mrs. K. asks about Jean and her father then gives a rundown on her other children who are in the service.

Before she closes she ask's Jean if they got any of Homer's belongings "we haven't got any of my Dick's."

The Lt. says "I have learned of the deaths of my boys"

He has tried in vain to find out what happened but did manage to talk to another pilot in the squadron ( The sqd. was wiped out).

This pilot had escaped capture but he went down before "V-Paquet" and could only say that "Don and the boys were still going strong".

As he continues he is rather blunt "my assumption was that Don and the boys were later shot down and either crashed or burned".

In closing he extends his well wishes and help.

post-51189-0-38462800-1449878537.jpg

In a letter dated April 29, 1944 Brigadier General Robert Dunlop has the honor to report:

Homer Jr. is posthumously awarded the Air Medal and completed 5 missions.

post-51189-0-89430500-1449878919.jpg

May 1944 General Arnold sends a note.

"On this Memorial Day, I should like you to know that we of the Army Air Forces Have not forgotten."

post-51189-0-85801100-1449881245.jpg