• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 swag

swag
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,757
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:58 PM

For all you Tank Destroyer guys out there.
Lot Number: 5947854
Opening Bid: $1750 - No bids so far.
Auction closes on: 25 August 2008 at 8:30 PM CST.
Description:
It is a rare thing these days to see such a large and well-documented collection of decorations and assorted ephemera belonging to an individual U.S. soldier from te Second World War. That this collection includes a Silver Star fo Gallantry in Action is a rare thing indeed! Introducing CHARLES E. YEOMAN, born in August of 1917 in Kansas City, MO, and activated into Federal Service in December of 1940. Upon graduation from Officer Candidate School at Ft. Hood, TX, he was assigned to the 603rd Tank Destroyer Battalion. (M-18), Recon Co., as platoon leader. Attached to the 6th Armored Division, 2nd Lt Yeoman crossed the English Channel in July of 1944. He saw action on the Brittany Peninsula and fought at Brest, where earned both a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for heroism in ground combat in early August of 1944. Following Brest, as his battalion slowly pressed eastward, Yeoman distinguished himself again and again in the face of the enemy, driving deep within their territory ahead of t advancing Allied column, capturing hundreds of German soldiers and destroying numerous enemy vehicles. For these repeated actions 1st Lt. Charles E. Yeoman was awarded the Silver Star on May 30, 1945.s
This collection includes Yeoman’s Purple Heart (enameled and numbered 184***), Bronze Star, and Silver Star, all with their associated documentation dated 1949. Other awards include t American Defense Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with five Battle Stars, and te Germany Occupation medal among others. All of these, along with his marksman badges, collar insignia and unit patches (note-bullion edged tank destroyer patch is a post-war veteran’s production) are attractively arranged on a blue velvet cloth inside a large wooden picture frame. Also included in this remarkable collection are Mr. Yeoman’s cloth “Zones of France” survival map of Europe from late 1944, and additional pair of ribbon bars (Silver Star and Bronze Star), his dogtag, belt buckle, Yeoman’s copy of “The Officer’s Guide” book signed and dated 7/26/43, three b/w family pictures, his US Army Reserve ID Card (dated 18 Apr 1960), a 33rd Annual Reunion badge for the Sixth Armored Division Association and Cocktail Party ticket from July of 1980, a pledge of allegiance coin, a white HBT name tape, and his document of promotion to Captain in the Officers’ Reserve Corps in November of 1952. Finally, the collection is rounded out with a framed document from the Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge Association honoring Major Yeoman, and a beautiful unit history from Turner Publications on Tank Destroyer Forces in WWII, in which half of page 280 is devoted to a biography of Charles E. Yeoman.

TD_01.jpg

TD_02.jpg

#2 USMCR79

USMCR79
  • Members
    • Member ID: 248
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:13 AM

The campaign medals look "new"

Bill

#3 Jeeper704

Jeeper704
  • Members
    • Member ID: 157
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:16 AM

I have my reservations too.
Not so impressive and not that much worth in my eyes.

Erwin

#4 USMCR79

USMCR79
  • Members
    • Member ID: 248
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:58 AM

For all you Tank Destroyer guys out there.
Lot Number: 5947854
Opening Bid: $1750 - No bids so far.
Auction closes on: 25 August 2008 at 8:30 PM CST.
Description:
It is a rare thing these days to see such a large and well-documented collection of decorations and assorted ephemera belonging to an individual U.S. soldier from te Second World War. That this collection includes a Silver Star fo Gallantry in Action is a rare thing indeed! Introducing CHARLES E. YEOMAN, born in August of 1917 in Kansas City, MO, and activated into Federal Service in December of 1940. Upon graduation from Officer Candidate School at Ft. Hood, TX, he was assigned to the 603rd Tank Destroyer Battalion. (M-18), Recon Co., as platoon leader. Attached to the 6th Armored Division, 2nd Lt Yeoman crossed the English Channel in July of 1944. He saw action on the Brittany Peninsula and fought at Brest, where earned both a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for heroism in ground combat in early August of 1944. Following Brest, as his battalion slowly pressed eastward, Yeoman distinguished himself again and again in the face of the enemy, driving deep within their territory ahead of t advancing Allied column, capturing hundreds of German soldiers and destroying numerous enemy vehicles. For these repeated actions 1st Lt. Charles E. Yeoman was awarded the Silver Star on May 30, 1945.s
This collection includes Yeoman’s Purple Heart (enameled and numbered 184***), Bronze Star, and Silver Star, all with their associated documentation dated 1949. Other awards include t American Defense Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with five Battle Stars, and te Germany Occupation medal among others. All of these, along with his marksman badges, collar insignia and unit patches (note-bullion edged tank destroyer patch is a post-war veteran’s production) are attractively arranged on a blue velvet cloth inside a large wooden picture frame. Also included in this remarkable collection are Mr. Yeoman’s cloth “Zones of France” survival map of Europe from late 1944, and additional pair of ribbon bars (Silver Star and Bronze Star), his dogtag, belt buckle, Yeoman’s copy of “The Officer’s Guide” book signed and dated 7/26/43, three b/w family pictures, his US Army Reserve ID Card (dated 18 Apr 1960), a 33rd Annual Reunion badge for the Sixth Armored Division Association and Cocktail Party ticket from July of 1980, a pledge of allegiance coin, a white HBT name tape, and his document of promotion to Captain in the Officers’ Reserve Corps in November of 1952. Finally, the collection is rounded out with a framed document from the Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge Association honoring Major Yeoman, and a beautiful unit history from Turner Publications on Tank Destroyer Forces in WWII, in which half of page 280 is devoted to a biography of Charles E. Yeoman.

TD_01.jpg

TD_02.jpg

Are you the seller of this group?

Bill

#5 swag

swag
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,757
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

Nope, I'm not the seller. I just happened to see this auction and I know there are quite a few TD collectors here so I thought I'd post it for those folks. I am in no way connected with this auction.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users