Self Made Camouflage

kammo-man

I've posted my custom made Camo jacket before on another thread but since we are talking Camo I will post it again.

Now my jacket isn't a custom paint job but it is a relatively new made jacket from repro Camo material. I wear it a good bit and I have to admit, I think it's pretty sharp.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-62103600-1455087995.jpeg

MilRGRHistory

I've posted my custom made Camo jacket before on another thread but since we are talking Camo I will post it again.

Now my jacket isn't a custom paint job but it is a relatively new made jacket from repro Camo material. I wear it a good bit and I have to admit, I think it's pretty sharp.

Ronnie

Very cool, the spot camo pattern is one of my favorites.

I went through SFTG in 1967.

During the training there were several field exercises.

We wore the old green fatigues and field jacket for everything in those days.

You only saw jungles on guys in group who were on orders for RVN.

Before these exercises, there would often be boxes of old, used, shirts, jackets, whatever for our use.

Field caps were bought at the PX or downtown.

Anyways, there was a certain amount of encouragement to enhance or add camouflage to them.

Mostly it was an individual thing-some guys got creative, others did not bother.

Spend a few days in the field with dirt, grime, sweat, whatever, and it all tends to look the same.

These clothes were turned in when we got back from the field. They got recycled for the next bunch of trainees or field problem.

If you chose to wear your own stuff, you had to pay for it if damaged or ruined, so we used the castoff stuff provided.

MilRGRHistory

I went through SFTG in 1967.

During the training there were several field exercises.

We wore the old green fatigues and field jacket for everything in those days.

You only saw jungles on guys in group who were on orders for RVN.

Before these exercises, there would often be boxes of old, used, shirts, jackets, whatever for our use.

Field caps were bought at the PX or downtown.

Anyways, there was a certain amount of encouragement to enhance or add camouflage to them.

Mostly it was an individual thing-some guys got creative, others did not bother.

Spend a few days in the field with dirt, grime, sweat, whatever, and it all tends to look the same.

These clothes were turned in when we got back from the field. They got recycled for the next bunch of trainees or field problem.

If you chose to wear your own stuff, you had to pay for it if damaged or ruined, so we used the castoff stuff provided.

Great information! Thanks for commenting on the topic and sharing your experience!

Heres an absolute beauty that a buddy of mine has, he has an "i dont want to sell it" price on it...im very tempted to buy it from him one of these days!!...it looks even better in person.....mike

post-350-0-11213400-1455203563.jpg

Any chance go getting better pics of the jungle jacket ?

Im going to see him again in about 3-4 weeks, i will take a bunch of pics then....im so tempted to jump on this jacket...any idea of a fair value for such a cool camo jacket like this?...thanks.....mike

Hard question.

To get a deal on your side would be $100.

for him to get a deal on the better side would be $250.

If you get it I would love to put it into my camo book.

owen

Hard question.

To get a deal on your side would be $100.

for him to get a deal on the better side would be $250.

If you get it I would love to put it into my camo book.

owen

thank you owen, i think his i dont want to sell it price is around $300-$400....still very very tempting, i drool over it at every local monthly show that he brings it to for the last 5-10 years or so!.. :love: ...i might try and tempt him with a trade and cash offer next month......mike

Mike,

I hear you and its something that is a special item and would look great in a display.

Did you happen to work out who the vet did in country ?

That of course will swing the cool factor between cool and dish washer.

o

riflegreen297

That is a fantastic 1st pattern camo'd Jungle Jacket. Lets see, 1st pattern JJ, named, unique one of a kind self made camo pattern with master Parachutist badge for $300, that's not a I don't want to sell it price....to me that is a steal.....

Thanks gents, Yes i agree its a killer piece and as the years roll by his price gets more reasonable and tempting for sure!...im gonna have a talk with him next month and also find out any info on vet and worse case scenario i will take some nice quality photos!...but im hoping to take it home with me....mike

• 4 weeks later...

The Eagle has landed!!.....made a very good deal for the camo jungle jacket on Sunday....been drooling over it for a few days....heres the story on the jacket...the seller picked it up at a flea market during the 1980s outside of Ft Bragg while he himself was stationed there airborne/SF....he has always thought the soldier could have been 5th SF as they recently at that time moved out of Bragg (i think he said 5th) but it is just speculation...havent tried researching the name yet, has really nice cut edge subdued Staff Sgt rank also has some numbers and letters written in collar area, will post a photo of that soon if i can capture them on camera, i have bad lighting in my basement/helmet room so had to use flash and its hard to get the right look and color of real life.....also has a nice big well done old repair on back and just love the way the camo was artfully done...i believe ( just speculating) that in order to make this camo they had to probably use bleach to drip on the splotches and then dye or color them, the white tags inside shirt have washed out but have turned a brownish color i assume from the dye job....would love to be able to find more info on Manzella he just has to have been SF but not positive, probably the only guys that would have gotten away with this kind of camo....hope you guys enjoy the pics and let me know if you would like to see any other details...thanks for looking.....mike

post-350-0-29155100-1457487261.jpg