Self Made Camouflage

kammo-man

I once owned this self camoed Vietnam era lightweight rucksack. It was named and had all loose end of straps secured with green duct tape. I wish I had better pictures . It was pretty cool and alot of work.

Regards, Mitch

post-592-0-80531400-1449873266.jpgpost-592-0-61522400-1449873276.jpg

Heres one i used to own but sadly sold it in a moment of weakness...came from the John Coy collection....the cap was similar but not a matching set...dang i wish i kept it........ :( ...mike

post-350-0-85350500-1449876123.jpg

I once owned this self camoed Vietnam era lightweight rucksack. It was named and had all loose end of straps secured with green duct tape. I wish I had better pictures . It was pretty cool and alot of work.

Regards, Mitch

attachicon.gifmisc 001.JPGattachicon.gifmisc 006a.jpg

That is a killer ruck, lots of work went into that

• 1 month later...

Here a M-51 jacket, dated at 1952. Prior to be camouflaged it was patched with name tape, US ARMY tape, para wings, 101 Airborne and ranks, that was cut off before was camouflaged.

The camo is mostly stenciled

oqasns.jpg

2l943l4.jpg

hwfghi.jpg

MilRGRHistory

Nice item. This is the kind of thing that troops actually used in various exercises. You'd be surprised what showed up on field exercises, especially for the troops that were playing recon or "aggressor".

Here is a top that matches the camo pattern of the hat that started this thread. Seeing as these are completely unrelated, and this top was cheap, are there any units or Training Centers that may have used this type camo pattern as an SOP?...then again, maybe two Soldiers just had the same good idea...

post-153545-0-97446700-1454983612.jpg

MilRGRHistory

Like I already told you in a P M.

PM stated "horrible in every way" which provides zero useful information. That's why I posted it to the forum. I am trying to learn and thus looking for helpful information as to why it is horrible, what to look for, what self made camos may have actually been used etc...

I think it's interesting that your hat and this jacket exhibit the same camo pattern and black/brown combination. Unless they came from the same owner, this doesn't necessarily constitute a pattern but is indicative of one.

If it's horrible based on your opinion, that's fine. Just trying to learn here, but maybe someone else can weigh in on this?

There is no telling when this shirt was done. Could have been done 30yrs ago or last month. This is very easy to replicate. All you need is a shirt and flat black spray paint.

Unless you get this directly from the vet these will always be suspect.

MilRGRHistory

There is no telling when this shirt was done. Could have been done 30yrs ago or last month. This is very easy to replicate. All you need is a shirt and flat black spray paint.

Unless you get this directly from the vet these will always be suspect.

Spike, thank you for your response; this is all I was looking for...actual discussion. So, my thought on this item is...Recondo, jungle expert, CIB, even what looks like a scroll imprint were removed from this jacket at least potentially substantiating a unit that would paint their uniforms. #1...if I was going to sell something like this to defraud someone, I would add all the insignia back, using the BS seen all over the well know "e" auction site...#2 this sold not even listing the paint camo and sold for $20. Again...if I was going to the trouble to fake something worth potentially more money...why not list it pointing out custom camo and sell it for more???

Lastly, the jacket is tagged 1969 with multiple repairs and heavy wear...again...I would not take the time to thoroughly repair something like this if I was going to paint it and sell it for $20. Some of these repairs interrupt the paint pattern, showing the jacket was used after the paint job. Also shown by wear and fraying, again, that appears post paint job.

All food for thought; just looking for some discussion on this topic. I certainly understand and appreciate that it could have been done yesterday or 30 years ago...and of course looking to validate my own opinions...but looking into more than just dismissing it over a single 84k photo that probably lacks appropriate detail to make any judgments.

Spike, again, thanks for your insight on this.

post-153545-0-35824900-1455073536.jpg

post-153545-0-96253200-1455074286.jpg