M2A1 gas mask-asbestos?

2ndInf.Div.

Hello all, I was curious if the early WWII "kidney" gas masks contain asbestos in the filters? I've heard various things, but didn't know if someone had a definite answer. Although I won't be wearing the mask itself, I would prefer not to have an asbestos filled mask sitting in my closet.

• 4 months later...
SergeantMajorGray

I see this is a old topic but yes the mask does have asbestos but it's fine siting in the closet the asbestos isn't going to come out especially if the filter is in decent condition. Only a few gas masks can pose a danger just by display.

You have more to worry about in your drinking water than an old gas mask.Same with WW1 helmets.You can be careful handling it or if its a major concern dispose of it or double bag it with large zip loc plastic bags.

I have taken both WW1 and WW2 masks to displays for years but they dont get handled or worn.

If your not going to cut the can/filter open with a sawz-all or do something to release the particles or turn it to dust I wouldnt worry about it.Theres Radon gas and other things in homes that can be of a bigger concern.

msgt norway

i have filled clear glas silicon in the in and outs on the filters that i know have asbestos in and it dont show eather:)

Cheers ken,norway