correspondence ever being faked?

grovb

pathfinder505

Considering most papers items by themselves dont have a lot of value, I doubt much would be faked. Now if it were a specific document that would bring a lot of money then probably would have some fakes.

The whole reason to fake is normally money. If it takes a lot of time and not much return then not worth faking.

Considering most papers items by themselves dont have a lot of value, I doubt much would be faked. Now if it were a specific document that would bring a lot of money then probably would have some fakes.

The whole reason to fake is normally money. If it takes a lot of time and not much return then not worth faking.

[/

I did not think so but was just wandering since one thing I collect is large batches of correspondence to soldiers or from soldiers!

Brandyn

Forgery is usually done for profit and presumemably only documents that held some value in the content or person that obstensibly wrote the letters, would be of sufficient interest to forge. There was a large number of documents forged about 30-40 years ago that were diaries and letters supposedly written by Adolf Hitler. The forgeries were quite well done and historians were greatly interested in the content. Collectors of such materials were of course interested because of the historical noteriety of the author. The maker of these forgered materials obviously expected fortune and perhaps acclaim.

Although the documents were found to be forgeries they probably still drew a good price from a collector of forged documents.

I think that Eisenhower's address to the troops before D-Day could be faked as it has a high value.

Some years ago, I did read about diaries being reproduced (no not those of Hitler, but of senior officers).

There is a site which offers fake driver's licenses, order forms, etc but these are blanco and not aged. I believe it is for re-enactment purposes.

Talking about correspondence, I am currently offering a nice grouping from a Lieutenant in the 99th Chemical Mortar Bn for sale or trade.

If interested, you can pm me and we'll figure something out. This grouping is genuine btw.

Erwin

Brandyn---

Good to know there is another forum member who has the same collecting interest--service men's letters! How long have you been collecting? Do you have any special areas of interest? How big is your collection?

Here are two of mine. The first, in the suitcase, is attributed to a guy in the 27th Special Services Company. He was a movie projectionist with the company and served on Guadalcanal, Bougainville, the Philippines, and a number of other places. The collection is about 750 letters and is complete from the time he left for camp to when he sent the last letter indicating he was coming home. He wrote virtually every day. As a nice bonus, there are several letters from the wife. The collection contains many photos and negatives, foreign currency, and unit newspapers.

post-211-1170861346.jpg

This second collection numbers about 650 letters and is the correspondence between a husband and wife. The husband was eventually assigned to an ordnance unit stationed in Alaska. You can see most of the letters were still tied with ribbon from when the wife put them away.

post-211-1170862145.jpg

It just so happens that my sisters and I have been going thrrough the last of our father's belongings. HE SAVED EVERYTHING!!! We found a foot locker and several boxes full of letters sent to and received from our mother, brother and family members. Also some from army buddies. We found one letter that an individual was writting, while he was listening to the radio, just as the anouncement was being made that Peal Harbor had just been bombed. As you read these letters, it takes you right to that place and time. You can almost imagine yourself being there. This stuff is priceless. Ive made these letters one more part of a large grouping of items from my father's time in the service. Which includes his orders, certificates, letters, discharge, messages, postcards, patches, medals, and so on.

A small "slice" of history and an important time in an individual's life. I don't see how anyone could or want to fake this type of thing.