B-52's Lake, Hanoï

stmerry

Charlie Flick

This is the way I like to think of the B-52. The longest serving and most effective heavy bomber in history.

Charlie

B_52_bombing.jpg

When I've seen this site, I'd just take an hour to think and pray for the crew in the fury and for the people under that huge thunder. That's all.

316th FS 324th FG
When I've seen this site, I'd just take an hour to think and pray for the crew in the fury and for the people under that huge thunder. That's all.

When I lived in Hanoi, I used to ride my bike over there and do the same thing. I have been going through my old pics from then, trying to find my photos. I'll post them when I find them.

D

• 2 months later...
316th FS 324th FG
When I lived in Hanoi, I used to ride my bike over there and do the same thing. I have been going through my old pics from then, trying to find my photos. I'll post them when I find them.

D

Ok, I found them and scanned them in. These are from Summer of 1997. You can see how the paint has faded in the intervening 11 years.

post-2463-1224774661.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1224777862.jpg

In March 2003 my daughter was eleven years of age, at school one day the teacher asked the class what they had done the previous weekend. When my daughters turn came, my daughter said that I had taken her to see the

B-52s.

The female teacher enquired of my daughter doesn't your father think you are a little young to be going to a concert by the B-52s, and did my daughter really like that type of music at her age.

My daughter answered, no it wasn't a band but real B-52 bombers taking off to bomb Saddam Hussein in Iraq, I think the teacher almost fainted at this comment, personally I thought it was good that my daughter was seeing world shattering events about to happen in her lifetime. Lessons outside of books.

Cheers ( Lewis )

teufelhunde.ret
post_1726_1224776113.jpg

My daughter answered, no it wasn't a band but real B-52 bombers taking off to bomb Saddam Hussein in Iraq, I think the teacher almost fainted at this comment, personally I thought it was good that my daughter was seeing world shattering events about to happen in her lifetime. Lessons outside of books.

Cheers ( Lewis )

twothumbup.gifbravo.giftwothumbup.gif

316th FS 324th FG

Bugme - I agree!

General Apathy - That's a great story. thumbsup.gif

Bobgee - According to the Stratofortress association - "The Vietnam War culminated with the so-called Eleven-Day War, or Linebacker II, a concentrated bombing campaign against military targets in the Haiphong-Hanoi area of North Vietnam, from December 18-29, 1972. A force of B-52Ds and Gs flow a total of 729 sorties against 24 target complexes delivering 15,000 tons of bombs. Fifteen B-52s were shot down by surface-to-air missiles, and B-52 gunners were credited with two MiGs destroyed and three more claimed, but not confirmed"

I think it might be S/N 56-0605; D; Lost near Trung Quan, North Vietnam after SAM hit. Call-sign "Cobalt 1." Dec. 27, 1972, in Operation Linebacker II (this assume's the date is correct on the monument) - Sources: "Boeing's Cold War Warrior: B-52 Stratofortress," 1995, Robert F. Dorr and Lindsay Peacock; Wright-Patterson Air Force Base/Air Force Museum timeline of B-52 operations; Buck Rigg at 8th Air Force Museum at Barksdale Air Force Base

If this is correct, the plane was from 43rd SW 7th/320th BW/441st Sq. Two of the six crew were lost, including 1 Lt Bennie Fryer and Lt. Col Allen Johnson, both of whose remains were ultimately repatriated. The other four were captured and released 3 months later.

D